Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A narrow tire and high pressure are also the solution to hydroplaning
Tell that to those mall-cowboys who put oversized tyres in their trucks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
But the oversized tires are designed for* for travelling over rocks and dirt - just the opposite problem of water & snow on paved roads.

*Of course that's not saying that a lot of people don't use them just for looks, on trucks they never take off pavement.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-25-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Of course that's not saying that a lot of people don't use them just for looks, on trucks they never take off pavement.
That's why I referred specifically to the mall-cowboys, or "agroboys" as we say in Brazil (even though they don't plant not even their own weed ). But anyway, apart from the hydroplaning issue, those oversized off-road tyres may also lead to other dangerous situations since they wear out quickly when used on-road, which could lead to a tyre blow-up and a rollover for example.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
Quote:
they wear out quickly when used on-road
Fording rocky creekbeds. The water acts as lubricant for the sharp rocks.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #85 (permalink)
Panther140

Our vehicles are a lot more durable here in the U.S. Most european cars are pretty much **** after 10 years. Not only are they less durable, but the parts are more expensive. And they are arduous to repair.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #86 (permalink)
Panther140

Quote:
That's why I referred specifically to the mall-cowboys, or "agroboys" as we say in Brazil (even though they don't plant not even their own weed ). But anyway, apart from the hydroplaning issue, those oversized off-road tyres may also lead to other dangerous situations since they wear out quickly when used on-road, which could lead to a tyre blow-up and a rollover for example.
They don't wear out quickly. They actually have a much larger circumfrance, which equates to more rubber on the tire. Those tires last a long time. They are also designed for off road abuse and are much thicker ply than a typical poor-person's econobox tires.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #87 (permalink)
Panther140

Quote:
Tread depth plays a large role in hydroplaning. So does aspect ratio. Aspect ratio is what determines how much time the tire has in order to scatter X amount of water before the tire's load-bearing contact patch moves over it.

Those large diameter tires are not actually that bad at resisting hydroplaning. If they had the same diameter, but were wider, they would be worse. However, the increase in diameter changes everything. With oversized off-road tires, my truck hydroplanes dramatically less than it did with stock-sized tires that had very small tread depth.

Hydroplaning is also less of an issue when you are in a vehicle with a long wheelbase. They are far more stable in winter. Even if there is a puddle big enough to cause me to hydroplane, only one or two of my wheels will hydroplane at a time when I am in my off road truck.

In comparison, my toyota corolla is terrifying to drive in the winter here in wisconsin. I have good tires on it, but it is very unstable. Even a small puddle will cause all 4 tires to hydroplane, and they do it at the same time. Then, it has a very short wheelbase. It makes it far less stable.

A lighter vehicle with narrow tires and low tread depth will hydroplane at a much lower speed than a heavier vehicle with wide tires and deep tread. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/hydroplaning

My corolla does one single thing better than my pickup equipped with off road tires. That one single thing that it does better is fuel mileage.

You city commuters should talk less about trucks, considering the fact that you don't know anything about trucks or engineering.

Last edited by Panther140; 10-16-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 PM   #88 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
They don't wear out quickly. They actually have a much larger circumfrance, which equates to more rubber on the tire. Those tires last a long time. They are also designed for off road abuse and are much thicker ply than a typical poor-person's econobox tires.
It depends. Some tyres designed for off-road do have a worse durability on road and at higher speeds.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
"Mall cowboy tyres" don't meet the requirement of tall and narrow. The BMW i3 has a 3x19" rim.

It's interesting that deep tread helps with hydroplaning. I'm thinking about running mud and snow tires on all four corners of my Dasher for other reasons.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Our vehicles are a lot more durable here in the U.S. Most european cars are pretty much **** after 10 years. Not only are they less durable, but the parts are more expensive. And they are arduous to repair.
Most of the vehicles sold in the UK and Europe are just the same as those sold in the US. Granted, there is not a huge market for pickup trucks and that market is mainly filled by Toyota, Nissan and the like, but the Ford Ranger is available here though not your Silverado.
The only differences between European spec car and US spec cars are occasional differences in name (same vehicle, just the name is changed and occasionally even the marque), variations in engines available (US sometimes have a larger engine size option), and minor trim changes. Obviously UK models are right-hand drive, but with Japanese made vehicles that is no big thing, seeing as all Japanese vehicles start out as RHD.
I have a Honda Jazz, sold in the US as the FIt. Mine has the 1.2 Litre i-DSi (“intelligent Dual & Sequential Ignition”) 10.8:1 compression ratio and two plugs per cylinder, but the i-VTEC was also an option here. The rest of the vehicle is standard Honda, made to the same quality standards as US spec Hondas.
The few "US" cars sold here, such as the Cadillac Escalade and the CTS, the Chrysler Voyager and Crossfire or the Chevrolet Cruze fair no better on UK roads (they tend to rust even quicker than homegrown and their electrics fail miserably).
So I don't think it is that cars here are any less durable but just that the climate and acid rain from Europe does not help cars survive very long. On top of which our extremely tight MOT testing standards puts thousands of cars into the crusher, that in the US and other parts of the world would run on for years.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cked-at-an-mot

Reply  Post New Thread