Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I topped it off today with 93 miles on the tank and it took 2.4 gals. Almost 39 MPG. I wanted to start when it was running right, took about 100 miles and another 33 to confirm.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

More detailing cleaning. Changed the oil, barely got the filter off after crushing it with my strap wrench. Got 5 quarts and a filter at Auto Zone for $18. Only took just over 3 quarts for the change.

Painted the hub caps and wiper arms.

I think its going to take some effrot to get to 40 MPG, but if I sell the truck and Fiesta I would be ahead by close to $10k and that buys alot of gas. The difference in taxes and insurance would be hundreds of $ a year.

Tourist season ends soon and traffic density will drop off a lot and MPG will rise until it gets cold again.

I think it has variable cam timing on the intake and the tranny has 4 distinct "shift" points. High grear lockup requires 40+MPH (3 sdhift points plus converter lockup).

Love the fact that it does not have a timing belt and there is no recommended valve adjustment. I will check the timing, and it needs front struts and an alignment.

Remarkable for 22.5 years old (1-92 prod date).

regards
Mech

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	15656   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	15657   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	15658  

Last edited by user removed; 08-24-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Wow, it's remarkable how similar that engine looks to my parents 1987 Toyota camry. If I was you I would be looking for a M/T. Then 40mpg would be a walk I the park to get.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Went to the pick and pull today. Picked up a 2/14 dated battery to replace the 7/07 battery that was in the car and still working but would not be reliable when cold weather comes. Just finished topping it off with my battery tender.

$29.31 total for the battery.

Picked up a blower motor switch. The old one would stick on high speed. When I took the old one out I found out why it was sticking. The high speed connection had partially melted and fused the switch to the rest of the heater control assembly. I literally had to cut the switch apart with dykes (type of pliers) to get it separated from the heater control housing plastic. Working fine now.

Also a set of plug wires, not sure of the brand but I think they were dated 2012. Nothing wrong with the original ones but they are 22 years old. I'll carry the spares in the trunk.

99 cents per wire, including the coil wire.

Got the plastic bracket that holds the coolant recovery bottle in place. The old one was broken where the bolt holds it to the fender skirt.

99 cents.

Forgot to grab one of the right signal light lenses, mine has a gouge that was filled with sealer and passed inspection. Old age related forgetfullness strikes again.

I checked to see if either of the donor cars had replaced struts I might be able to use, but one had them removed and the other looked to be orignals with surface rust, so no luck there. Next time I'll grab the signal lens but the car will probably be crushed by then.

Ordered front struts from auto zone. Advance wanted almost $80 for Monroes. The auto zone struts are Gabriels, at right at $50 a strut. I'll pull the struts and my neighbor can swap the springs and other parts at his shop.

Checked the air filter and it was fine, hit it with my shop vac and reinstalled.

That should get the car in fine shape.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 08-25-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Wow, it's remarkable how similar that engine looks to my parents 1987 Toyota camry. If I was you I would be looking for a M/T. Then 40mpg would be a walk I the park to get.
I won't be changing the transmission and a tranny swap could require a differend main wiring harness and many other components even including removing the complete dash pedal assembly bracket and a whole lot of other parts.

Say about 50 hours labor. More labor than it took to rebuild the Fiesta.

Flywheel, clutch, master and slave, pedal bracket, shifter and all assosciated linkages and brackets. Interlock system with automatic seat belt activitation and shift interlock to keep it from starting in gear. Do all that and find out the tranny bearings are bad, NAH.

Instead I think I'll sell the Fiesta and Ranger and pocket 10 grand, with which I can finish up the 3 wheeler, or buy 3000 gallons of gas.

I don't like putting 3 grand in my labor in a tranny swap that is basically worth nothing when I am done, in a $300 car.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 08-25-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Nice progress! I didn't know a manual swap would be so involved of a process, forget that!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Been chasing some annoying squeaks and rattles. Tightened up all 4 door hinges to compensate for age and the gaskets having a wear pattern. Lubed all hinges, door arrestor straps, hood and trunk hinges and latches. Some wire ties and rubber grommets, a few taps on the body where the trunk gasket is located. Now the hood, doors, and trunk pop a little bit when you pull the latch. It took two people to get the hood opened when I first got the car. Even lubed the hinges on the fuel filler door.

Front struts are in and the front end is much better when you hit a bump. The old struts looked like the seals were shot. Total money now at $730. I checked the old struts, older replacements, made in the USA. The had camber slots in the top mount to the knuckle, so I put the new ones in the same spot (centered) and I might get away without an alignment for right now.

Close to 600 miles since purchased. This tank looks better than the last, but we'll see when I fill it again. A little touch up glueing on the edges of the headliner and the drivers sun visor and I'm just about out of things to do.

The gas gauge never gets to even with or above the full mark. It only took a little over 7gallons when it was down to 1/4 tank. I think it holds 13.5 gallons. I left the pump on low speed until it cut off and then I filled it until it got to just below the top of the filler tube. I managed to coax another .5 gallon in the tank that way and this tank I'll run it down to the empty mark and see how much fuel it takes.

regards
Mech
Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

What did you use to clean the engine bay? I desperately need to clean my Mustang engine bay, it's got spider webs in it from sitting for over a year haha. I bought a little pressure washer attachment for the hose, I just end to find the best chemical to clean the engine bay with. I don't mind scrubbing stuff down with a toothbrush.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
Wow, seems like you've been doing some fantastic work so far!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Simple green and a 2800 psi pressure washer but it still could use some more cleaning. I was more concerned with the grunge accumulation all over the car. Under the gas flap it had goop a 1/4 inch thick.

After the pressure washer I used a super fine polishing compound and then caranuba wax on painted surfaces.

The wife is starting to come around to the logic of this older car, just barely, but hey dear we can always take your car dear, you know, the one that has depreciated 40% or more in 3 years or right about what I paid for the Fiesta.

regards
Mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (03-24-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread