Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
^^
That's pretty much what a grid charger does except you don't have to take the pack out of the car, which is a bear. It also does it in a day and a half so you only lose a weekend.

Wiring, not so much. Build a rack with a bunch of slots to drop the sticks into, wire up a couple of sturdy bus bars, maybe with a few springs to ensure good contact, and then just two wires, one to each bus bar.

Watch your polarity.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The super brain is finally fixed. I finished the internal resistance testing. They are all close to being the same, with an average of .101ohms not spectacular but I'll have to make due.

I decided I'm going to do one more round of discharges and charges just for kicks, this time at 10 amp discharge. The previous cycles were 6.5A.

Thanks for everyone's help
Attached Files
File Type: xls hybrid IR.xls (14.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Im currently working on trickle charging the batteries in parallel. Looking at the capacities of my sticks, im trying to figure out the order they should go in.

Does it matter in a hch gen 1 of the order in how they are arranged? Idont see specific voltage taps for where the computer would see specifics. The 3 sticks with wires I thought were the taps but idont see how they are. Now ithink they are for temp. Someone please correct me.

For a gen2 battery pack, I understand taking the weakest and pairing it with the stongest because 2 sticks are bound together.

Would I be best just alternating one strong, one weak, one strong etc...(like a gen2) or would it not matter?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, the batteries with the extra leads have temperature sensors on them.

The battery box itself has the taps. Peter on the insight form uses a resistor matrix to collectively fool the IMA system into thinking the state of charge is higher or lower to make the car give more, less or no assist while in operation. He also has a computer version as well as a way to replace the battery with lifepo4s.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The car has been driving for a week now. I've put around 450 miles on a tank of gas. When I first installed the battery, the car started right up, no CEL or IMA lights. It took a couple days for the battery gauge to read full. Everything seems to be preforming as it should.

I have a OBD2 tool on its way, I'm trying like crazy to drive conservatively and pump the MPG back to where it belongs. When I'm not paying attention down the highway I'm getting 40-44 mpg @ 70. If I really focus I can get around 48. Who knows, Its all habit forming anyways. We shall see.
I'm also looking into a lower grill block and see if that helps any.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Did you disconnect the starter battery, wait 15 minutes, reconnect it and let the car idle for 15 minutes? Hondas "learn" a lot of stuff during operation and they can learn good as well as bad habits. Make sure you got your radio code if needed before doing this and presets. Dont worry if your ima shows empty, it also has to relearn its soc once reconnected.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Did you disconnect the starter battery, wait 15 minutes, reconnect it and let the car idle for 15 minutes? Hondas "learn" a lot of stuff during operation and they can learn good as well as bad habits. Make sure you got your radio code if needed before doing this and presets. Dont worry if your ima shows empty, it also has to relearn its soc once reconnected.
I didn't disconnect the battery and wait. The car did idle forever though. And I do have my code.

Like I said, it seems everything is on the up and up though, I'm quite happy with how its running. Sadly the 03 civic will probably never be back up to the 48+ mpg from normal driving. Though I am trying to get it as close as possible.

On a side note: I changed the 4 spark plugs last year (and they were needed). Yesterday I found out that there are another 4 hidden under the plastic engine cover. 2 of those 4 were worn fairly badly. I'm hoping with the new plugs that this will also help me get my fantasy MPG.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yup, i-dsi. Allows the car to pull more timing and load on lower octane discount fuel.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just an update. The last tank of gas I worked really hard at driving nicely, getting a good lean burn as much as possible, driving the speed limit or a little less. I was able to achieve 48 mpg on just under 550 miles for the tank. This tank of gas I'm not trying to drive like that, and driving as I have for years. So far I'm hovering around 45 mpg. I'm torn on what to do, because its a lot easier to drive the way I have for years. But theres something satisfying about getting 48+. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Peter Perkins modes allows some manual control over the IMA system. What you do is use the ima system to supplement the power output of lean burn and you abuse this to get epic mpg. Some people go as far as combine a glide session and coast as far as they can on what ima and lean burn will give, then when you hit the bottom of your target speed pulse back up on gas to the upper limit and repeat.

Reply  Post New Thread