Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Berry - '90 Geo Metro XFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
0W30 definitely.
The W30 part does not matter as you never reach the temperature for that viscosity level.
FWIW you could run 0W20 if you avoid long runs in hot conditions.
Good to know. 0w-30 it is!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
\o/ Your engine bay should look like this:

Looks pretty extreme but interesting. Is that foil type materia like tape on the inside part? Where can i get that stuff? Home depot?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, hidden from my wife (lol) i went and purchased an Auto Meter Autogage 2337 Vacuum Gauge, Kats Heaters 400w Freeze Plug Heater , and a Xenon Professional Inductive Timing Light hehe... so the progress is starting. Should I do a progress thread guys?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Up to you, you could have the title of this one changed and do an index on the first page, or start another.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Up to you, you could have the title of this one changed and do an index on the first page, or start another.
Thanks. I think I might start a new fresh one. Gotta figure out how to post pics here 1st lol
Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
I personally use an imgur account for that, and use (img)imageurl(/img) tags (except with square brackets).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hmmm.. ill look into that. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I am a huge fan of the Ford Festiva from '91 to '93...old enough for OBD 1 testing, simple enough to be easily worked on and so very durable that even a near-destitute person like myself could keep one running-

-until recently that is. On Jan 2nd my beloved Red Menace suffered a full systemic power surge of some sort that cracked open her fusible block, burned up most of her wiring harness and shorted the EGR system-and an estimated $2000+ for a vehicle with over 300K miles on her was just too much for my pocketbook to bear, so i'm riding a used scooter for now and saving up for a tiny truck of some sort (pity I can't find an old Datsun from the early '80's or similar). Good news though- my Landlord wanted a project car so I let him have the Menace for scrap value-the tale of the Red Menace may not yet be finished...

At any rate, my Red Menace was a '93 Festiva, 5-speed with clutch and fuel-injected much like yours. Being a man of tiny wallet my Ecomods were very simple and not very technical:

1) Watched my driving habits-I didn't do much Pulse-and-Glide or close drafting, but I kept to the local speed limits, stopped caring about the idiots passing me at 15MPH over the legal limits and just had fun getting from Point A to Point B.Did my outlook a lot of good,

2) Partial Grill block from lightweight Coroplast. My engine always ran somewhat cool even in Summer so I had a 50% block then and a 75% block in Winter.

3) NC DOT would not let me delete my side mirror but had no issues with letting me replace the stock item with a slimmer one.

4) A set of low-resistance tires set to just over Max sidewall (42 lbs for mine).

5) Tried a body pan but found that my existing bumper skirt was doing almost as well so I got rid of it-it was fun giving it a go though.

6) Kept my spare tire but deleted the entire back seat (I seldom need passenger room and it was torn up anyway) lightening my load by roughly 180 lbs any giving me more cargo space (I swear that poor car thought it was a truck sometimes the way I loaded her...

Despite the fact that I didn't do any of the more involved mods(taller gears, lighter flywheel, cylinder deactivation, different lubricant weights, cylinder hone, aero mods etc etc) I routinely achieved between 49-52 MPG highway and 40-45 MPG city-and this was at 305K on the odometer, shortly before she...passed away (sniff!).

I think your Festiva can quite easily achieve and even surpass my own performance with little effort. As others have mentioned I think that your main issue right now is your very short commute-have you considered a scooter or bicycle for the clear and sunny days and using the car only for bad weather commutes and long trips? That alone should boost you FE considerably(only don't ride a scooter in February, I have little choice but I can tell you IT IS COLD ).

Best of luck with your Festiva-I envy you and wish you all the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to order99 For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by order99 View Post
I am a huge fan of the Ford Festiva from '91 to '93...old enough for OBD 1 testing, simple enough to be easily worked on and so very durable that even a near-destitute person like myself could keep one running-

-until recently that is. On Jan 2nd my beloved Red Menace suffered a full systemic power surge of some sort that cracked open her fusible block, burned up most of her wiring harness and shorted the EGR system-and an estimated $2000+ for a vehicle with over 300K miles on her was just too much for my pocketbook to bear, so i'm riding a used scooter for now and saving up for a tiny truck of some sort (pity I can't find an old Datsun from the early '80's or similar). Good news though- my Landlord wanted a project car so I let him have the Menace for scrap value-the tale of the Red Menace may not yet be finished...

At any rate, my Red Menace was a '93 Festiva, 5-speed with clutch and fuel-injected much like yours. Being a man of tiny wallet my Ecomods were very simple and not very technical:

1) Watched my driving habits-I didn't do much Pulse-and-Glide or close drafting, but I kept to the local speed limits, stopped caring about the idiots passing me at 15MPH over the legal limits and just had fun getting from Point A to Point B.Did my outlook a lot of good,

2) Partial Grill block from lightweight Coroplast. My engine always ran somewhat cool even in Summer so I had a 50% block then and a 75% block in Winter.

3) NC DOT would not let me delete my side mirror but had no issues with letting me replace the stock item with a slimmer one.

4) A set of low-resistance tires set to just over Max sidewall (42 lbs for mine).

5) Tried a body pan but found that my existing bumper skirt was doing almost as well so I got rid of it-it was fun giving it a go though.

6) Kept my spare tire but deleted the entire back seat (I seldom need passenger room and it was torn up anyway) lightening my load by roughly 180 lbs any giving me more cargo space (I swear that poor car thought it was a truck sometimes the way I loaded her...

Despite the fact that I didn't do any of the more involved mods(taller gears, lighter flywheel, cylinder deactivation, different lubricant weights, cylinder hone, aero mods etc etc) I routinely achieved between 49-52 MPG highway and 40-45 MPG city-and this was at 305K on the odometer, shortly before she...passed away (sniff!).

I think your Festiva can quite easily achieve and even surpass my own performance with little effort. As others have mentioned I think that your main issue right now is your very short commute-have you considered a scooter or bicycle for the clear and sunny days and using the car only for bad weather commutes and long trips? That alone should boost you FE considerably(only don't ride a scooter in February, I have little choice but I can tell you IT IS COLD ).

Best of luck with your Festiva-I envy you and wish you all the best.
Wow man, sorry to hear. It does suck, extremely when one looses a car.. so i understand brother trust me. And WOW on those crazy mpg figures holy batman! Thats prius territory there. Idk man, i guess i gotta do some changes because the ones ive tried are meh... i do have a full upper and lower grill block, meaning 100% and in this cold weather my temps arent even budging lol. Made the blocks with light weight coroplast as well. Also, i do drive the way u drive as well, i dont give a crap who is tailgating or speeding behind me, i just crank my radio louder and say, pass me buddy lol. But still. Maybe its because of the cold winter that im stuck at 28 mpg. I ordered a few things online the other day as stated above. Now im considering an mpguino. I talked to a guy on here last year about one. And i cant find the message or the post where we chatted about it. But i know something has to change. Or im buying a prius lol
Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie@eco View Post
Or im buying a prius lol
Just to put things in perspective, like the Civic, it'll take a loooong time to break even with how little you seem to drive. Taking your Festiva's 28MPG, a Prius' 45MPG (which would be pretty high for such a short commute) and gas currently as low as $2 a gallon in the Detroit area, it would take 74k miles to break if it cost you $2000 to upgrade to the Prius (no idea what either car goes for in your area, $2k to upgrade is probably low). $5k to get a Prius? 185k miles to break even. That's a long time with a 10 minute commute.

Unless you just need to see big MPGs, it would be more economical to just stick with your car and try to make its numbers better. If you really want to spend some money, build an ebike or get a motorcycle. Then you'll have fun and lower energy usage.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
ThermionicScott (02-10-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread