Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just in case you missed it, here's a link to Craig Vetter's page with some info from Tom Finch, Aeronautical Engineer, about the shape of the tail on Terry Hershner's electric Zero .

2013 Vetter Streamliner-Chap 68-redesigning Terry Hershner's-Zero

- About 3/4 of the way down the page

Last edited by jkv357; 12-03-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ninjette - '05 kawasaki EX250
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Are you going to fair in the rear wheel completely as well ?

If not, how about reducing the width of the lower part of the tail ?
It need not be any wider than the rear wheel (or swing arm) in that case.
You could also bring it closer to the far of the rear wheel.
Yes, there will be some sort of bodywork around the rear wheel. Good idea regarding reducing the width of the lower part of the tail. I will consider that in lieu of inclosing the rear wheel.

@JVK357 Thanks.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No work of late. Damn temperature has been around 15F average for the last week or so with snow on the ground and my garage is not heated.

Happy Holidays all.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi everyone. Now that the weather has warmed up a bit, I will be back at it with my AeroNinja project. I will post up any progress soon.

One of the Craig Vetter Challenges will be August 29, 2014: Wendover to Ely, BUB Speed Week, Utah. I plan on being there (it is in my neighborhood)

http://www.craigvetter.com

Jeff
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
Jeff, Great to see you are back to work on your AeroNinja!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi JeffM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
May I suggest a diagonal brace between the frame tubes underneath the rear saddle and the middle bulkhead ?

In the bottom picture, it looks like it's made to have a brace there, by continuing the frame tubes.

If I may suggest, using thin aluminum sheet or the door skins as you said for the skin will more than stiffen up the tail. Notice that monocoque airplanes generally don't have diagonal bracing between the hoop frames. You still will need to have some sort of brace to just hold up the tail.

Also, the "strringers" seem a bit beefy to me. Adding excessive weight, especially at the rear, isn't a good thing.

-- Teri

P.S. Not to toot my own horn but when you add a full front fairing, you may want to read my thread starting at: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post416335 Pete [Ironside] has "proven" that a stall strip can radically reduce side wind effects on a dust bin fairing.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri_TX View Post
Hi JeffM,

If I may suggest, using thin aluminum sheet or the door skins as you said for the skin will more than stiffen up the tail. Notice that monocoque airplanes generally don't have diagonal bracing between the hoop frames. You still will need to have some sort of brace to just hold up the tail.

Also, the "strringers" seem a bit beefy to me. Adding excessive weight, especially at the rear, isn't a good thing.

-- Teri

P.S. Not to toot my own horn but when you add a full front fairing, you may want to read my thread starting at: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post416335 Pete [Ironside] has "proven" that a stall strip can radically reduce side wind effects on a dust bin fairing.
Hi Teri. There is much more support structure holding the tail on including six individual tie-ins to the bike itself. In the photo the bottom part of the frame is missing. I am finalizing the bottom of the tail and most likely will reduce the depth in that area. I have some door skin ply to reenforce the sides of the cargo area.

I concur with you about the size of the stringers but I have already got to this point so I'll have to deal with some extra weight. It really is not as heavy as it looks. If I re-do the tail the next structure will be aluminum or fiberglass over pink foam monocoque.

I have been reading that thread and I am going to try to incorporate a stall strip on the tail. Craig Vetter suggested to me that they are worth trying out. I'm not sure what will be the result if I add a strip to the front wheel fairing. It may be worth a try.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffM; 03-24-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Small update. I finally finished mounting the tail to the bike in a way that satisfies me in terms of safety and strength. Starting on the electrical.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is the bike in its current state. I plan to add fiber glassed pink foam to the front of the main bulkhead to smooth out the air between it and I. Also, the underside of the tail will acquire a lower section also constructed of glassed pink foam. Prior to that I plan on finishing the tail structure off with electrics, skin, and all the finishing touches.

The tail is secured by six hard points on the frame. It is very solid, I can pull up and down on the tail and extend or compress the suspension.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffM For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (04-15-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have the tail off the bike now and have returned the bike to stock (nice to be able to ride again).

Currently I am painting the frame and deciding on final layout of cargo area, electrical, etc.

Ride safe.

Jeff

Reply  Post New Thread