Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #191 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=E.Roy;441474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Hi Cacivic, what RPM do you see at 70mph with that CX tranny? I'm trying to find out what I will be running with the VX tranny I bought....QUOTE]

I did the calculations on 5th gear @ 70 before based on my EX speedo:

5th gen CX/VX: 70mph ~2,300rpm (3.25:1 Final Drive)

6th gen CX/HX/DX/LX: 70mph ~2,640rpm (3.722:1 Final Drive)

6th gen EX Coupe: 70mph ~3,000rpm (4.25:1 Final Drive)
Thanks! I was wondering for sure what it was and, now I know. I wonder how tall the gearing is in my Mustang, 70mph is less than 2k RPM O.o.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #192 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
back wheel skirts

Did you remove the back wheel skirts, and if so, are you planning to transition to aluminum? What is your feeling about 1/2 skirts vs full ones, and back wheel skirts in general? Are you using any wheel strips in the front?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #193 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Did you remove the back wheel skirts, and if so, are you planning to transition to aluminum? What is your feeling about 1/2 skirts vs full ones, and back wheel skirts in general? Are you using any wheel strips in the front?
I'm not sure what a wheel strip is. Could you clarify that one? But it's funny you ask about the wheel skirts because at the moment they are off. I took them off a few days ago for tire replacement (the maybe 6 or more year-old cracking Harmonys were finally done). I have not put them back on because I want to redesign. I have some scrap metal, but I think it is too touh to cut. And I have some black plastic sheeting. I have to decide, but I have been so busy with work, my energies have not been there for the car. As to legnth, the general wisdom around here seems to be the more wheel cover, flatter against the bodg contours, the better. But not further than the bottom of the rocker panels and such.

James
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #194 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Thanks for the feedback. The lower part of my car curves under quite dramatically. Also I'm wondering if the top part is more important, as that's where the wheels are going forward at the greatest speed.

For the front I mean are you using any wheel gap strips, or any type of skirt for the wheels.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #195 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The lower part of my car curves under quite dramatically.

For the front I mean are you using any wheel gap strips, or any type of skirt for the wheels.
Ah, I thought about that and tested a set once... mostly I hated how they looked so much that I decided tl forgo the possible benefit. It was a narrow strip of coroplast and it just didn't seem worth the compromise.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #196 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Awesome thread California98Civic! So many of the mods you've done I'm planning on implementing. I have a long highway drive of 80km with 20km of city too. Was looking at your fuel log and decided I need to change.

Read the whole thread the last 2 days, don't recall how you attached the lawn edging front air dam. If you could clarify that'd be great.

The side skirts were vinyl rain gutter? Was it 4"? I know aluminum rain gutter is available in 4" and 5", but that would not flex back into shape at all. Looking to do highest value mods first.

I Like the rear wheel covers.

Hid looks cool too. Thought they'd be more expensive... Any hurdles with installation of those?

Know what you mean about energy. I've finally got a week off and catching up with so many things that I fell behind on.

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #197 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Awesome thread California98Civic! So many of the mods you've done I'm planning on implementing. I have a long highway drive of 80km with 20km of city too. Was looking at your fuel log and decided I need to change.

Read the whole thread the last 2 days, don't recall how you attached the lawn edging front air dam. If you could clarify that'd be great.

The side skirts were vinyl rain gutter? Was it 4"? I know aluminum rain gutter is available in 4" and 5", but that would not flex back into shape at all. Looking to do highest value mods first.

I Like the rear wheel covers.

Hid looks cool too. Thought they'd be more expensive... Any hurdles with installation of those?

Know what you mean about energy. I've finally got a week off and catching up with so many things that I fell behind on.
Thanks for the read! Always fun to see the thread does something for someone. I think the rain gutter is the 4" kind, yes. And it is vinyl, painted black and then painted with plasti-dip.

For the airdam I drilled holes into the botton of the bumper cover and used screws and little black self-locking tabs to secure the horizontal ledge on the lawn edging to the bottom of the bumper. Different lawn edging products have different features. Experiment. You'll find something workable.

The only hurdle on the hids was fitting the bulbs into the stock housing. I had to work patiently to avoid breaking things too much. Lots of brittle, thin plastic around there.

I hope that helps... it's tough to describe without photos.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
pletby (09-23-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #198 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Stuff is breaking

Lost my injector kill switch activator the other day, spring inside the switch itself broke. Lost my airdam yesterday when a parking block ripped a mount and then the tires ripped the thing off completely as I pulled away. Sorta lost my wheel skirts when I replaced rear tires and had to remove them for technicians.

Gaa! And my running average FE has been dropping the last few days from over 66/67 to 64/65 to 62/63. Gaaaa!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #199 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Ack, that's a rough week. I'm about to go outside and start putting stuff on my car. Hope there's not too much damage on your ride.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #200 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

With my MPG down under 60, I am finally making time to restore my injector kill switch and front airdam (maybe wheel skirts too). In warm weather like this, I should be scoring 5-8 mpg higher without even trying hard. Instead I am working hard to stay close to 60mpg. At least I have a good indicator of the significance of these three mods.

Reply  Post New Thread