Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #611 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
...Paris Pinkie Swear...
Don't mind that I am going to steal that.

Seven generations should be sufficient?

Of course what does a generation mean in the face of Generalized AI, life extension and CRISPR editing?

In addition to attempting to exert control over the atmospheric systems, I assert we should also look to ruggedizing all built infrastructure. For instance what if a Coronal Mass Ejection blew away 5-10% of the atmosphere. It would be like we are suddenly living at 20,000ft.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #612 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
In the future? In the sense that today we only have stable, levelheaded people in charge of nukes?
I did mention nukes, and that is the reason for my pessimistic outlook on humanity's ability to restrain itself. While nuclear bombs have the ability to devastate humanity, we lack the technology to completely annihilate it.

Even if weapons technology halted at current levels, given enough time, nuclear weapons would eventually be used again. That same logic applies to a weapons system capable of eliminating humanity. It only takes 1 lunatic with humanity destroying capability to bring about the end of humanity.

Perhaps that is why no aliens have visited Earth; they end up destroying themselves long before they develop the technology required to travel light years away.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 12-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #613 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Nuclear war is very indiscriminate and messy.

This isn't...

Quote:
When you can find your enemy, even by a hash tag.

You can target a evil ideology "right where it starts".

>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-07-2017), sendler (12-06-2017), Xist (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #614 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I, for one, welcome our slaughterbot overlords?

I must say I'm impressed by the production values of the video. First him pulling the closeup camera out of his shirt pocket. There's a lot of money behind that mockumentary.

Half the audience had a little accident in their pants.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #615 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Perhaps that is why no aliens have visited Earth; they end up destroying themselves long before they develop the technology required to travel light years away.
Did they also have equivalents to Justin Beiber and Jersey Shore?

Are they texting and piloting?

"Asteroid field ahead. Let me just finish this lev--"

I read again that over half of pollution came from construction. Is that the same as cars? Buy a good reliable used car instead of a brand-new one? What about building an energy-efficient home versus the same methods that have been used for decades?

Fifteen years ago I heard about straw bale construction and started researching it the other day. Someone commented in a YouTube video that none of the claims were true, while compressed earth blocks, especially stabilized CEBs, were everything great and wonderful.

Supposedly, a ridiculous amount of straw goes to waste every year.

They do not compost it?

Also, something like 99% of dirt is not being used [[directly] by humans]. Don't let that dirt get away with just laying around anymore! Smash it into bricks and walls! I found various other methods that are supposed to be cheap and easy. I watched a couple on YouTube build with Styrofoam forms. Apparently, they were going to eventually fill the void with concrete. There are gas-powered machines that compress dirt and a bit of magical concrete to make bricks, sometimes even ones that resemble Legos.

Let's go back to the "gas-powered" part. Nothing like spewing fumes as you save the world!

Wikipedia mentions Oryzatech, which makes this:

and Rainbow Ecosystem, which makes this:

I write "makes" and not "sells" because I am not sure that either of them actually sell anything.

While people claim that straw bale construction is fire-proof, properly-used straw bales still burn at 1200°F. This is an article about a million-dollar straw bale house that burned down ten years ago. I am not sure what should have been done differently. http://www.fireengineering.com/artic...struction.html

Even if someone figured out how to do this properly, I have read several times that the outer walls only account for 10% of the cost of house construction; saving money there is lost elsewhere, but then it is more energy efficient?

I tried to find figures for how much it would cost to build with 2x6s or 2x8s (for extra insulation). I did not find that information, just all kinds of opinions, but studs are thermal bridges, so some people recommend staggered 2x4s, Structural Insulated Panels, and then:

Quote:
Earthcore, a Colorado SIP manufacturer, has essentially sliced up a SIP into studs; Like a SIP it is two layers of OSB sandwiched around a urethane core, but you work with it like a conventional stud. The 2x6 stud has an R-value of 21; [...] a conventional 2x6 has an R value of 7.75.
They point out that insulated exterior sheathing would also eliminate the thermal bridging.
https://www.treehugger.com/green-arc...-of-a-sip.html

This guy wrote about adobe, rammed earth, compressed earth blocks, straw bale construction, and other "green" forms of construction. In the end he only recommended pumice-crete, but it needed to be built quickly: Gallery - The Myth and Promise of Dirt Cheap Housing

What do you guys think is the best way to build nowadays? Where is our fan of geodesic domes?

In the end, the only thing that I feel was potentially useful to me was learning of straw bale gardens. You plant in the bales! Genius!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	??????????-?????.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	23137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oryzatech-straw-building-blocks.jpg.600x315_q90_crop-smart.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	23138  

Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #616 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
mockumentary.
The movie is a dramatization with a plea by Stuart Russel at the end to join the group.The web site seems legit as referenced by a post on UNOG where they attended the first ever world level meetings last month. Won't be my main cause but is something to be aware of going forward.
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Facul...s/russell.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_J._Russell
https://www.unog.ch/80256EE600585943...7?OpenDocument
Group of Governmental Experts on Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems (LAWS) 13-17 November 2017

Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #617 (permalink)
Not Doug

Do the killbots have a preset kill limit? Knowing their weakness, can I send wave after wave of my own men at them until they reach their limit and shut down?

They are disposable?!

Reduce, reuse, and recycle!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #618 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redpoint5 — They walk among us

sendler — mockumentary is not perjorative.

Quote:
What do you guys think is the best way to build nowadays? Where is our fan of geodesic domes?
I stepped out to the store for a moment, Okay? It sounds like you took some sort of red pill on housing since #610.

Straw bale construction = vermin. With any luck you'll get Badgers.

Think about cob construction for walls. With generous roof overhangs.

First floor: rammed earth; 2nd floor hardwood with area rugs (no shoes); 3rd floor (cupola/observatory) shag carpet that runs up the walls.

Overhead, you want a hi-tech material like ETFE in pillows inflated with argon or dynamically inflated for light shutters.

What is ETFE » Domerama

On to concrete: aircrete is cement mixed into water and Dawn dishwashing soap at 200:1.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aircrete

Heed the lessons hard lessons of Drop City and the Red Rockers.

http://www.design-byproxy.com/category/art/page/13/

Steve Baer's Zomeworks is still around. Zomes are different than domes.

Any questions?

Last edited by freebeard; 12-06-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #619 (permalink)
Not Doug

I do not even know where to start. Aircrete looks awesome, but it seems like most of the videos show people that do not have any idea what they are doing.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #620 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Here is why all this talk of climate change consensus is moot.

Remember Climategate ?

You know, where the scientists conspired to align and adjust their findings to reach a preconceived conclusion.

Well...

Here we go again...

Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise...

Tidalgate: Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise

Quote:
What’s extraordinary is the desperation of scientists at what ought to be impeccably neutral and trustworthy institutions such as NASA, NOAA and PSMSL to pretend that it is.

When alarmists in charge of surface temperature datasets make dishonest adjustments to exaggerate the appearance of global warming, it looks like corruption.

When alarmists in the entirely separate field of sea level measurement make precisely the same sort of dishonest adjustments in order to accord with the same global warming narrative, it starts to look like a conspiracy.

Adjustments’ To Create Spurious Sea Level Rise

Have Now Infected The PSMSL Tide Gauge Data

Whistleblower Scientists: PSMSL Data-Adjusters Are Manufacturing Sea Level Rise Where None Exists

Quote:
In a new paper published in Earth Systems and Environment this month, Australian scientists Dr. Albert Parker and Dr. Clifford Ollier uncover evidence that Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) overseers appear to have been engaging in the “highly questionable” and “suspicious” practice of adjusting historical tide gauge data to show recent accelerated sea level rise where no such acceleration (or rise) exists.
Quote:
This adjustment of tide gauge data to yield a rising sea level trend where none exists is not occasional or episodic. Instead, for every adjustment of raw data analyzed, “the adjustments are always in the direction to produce a large rise in sea level.”

Here is the full paper.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...748-017-0020-z

Quote:

Conclusion

The reconstructed tide gauge records of Aden, Mumbai and Karachi are perfectly consistent with multiple lines of evidence from other key sites of the Indian Ocean including Qatar, Maldives, Bangladesh and Visakhapatnam. The sea levels have been stable since the start of the twentieth century in Aden similar to Karachi and Mumbai.

Climate change is all about agenda...

Not science...

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam