Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #91 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
It makes sense because you gain extra power without adding extra air. Also your exhaust is much cleaner.

If you add more diesel fuel you will gain extra power but you also "gain" much more smoke.
Or you can go just leaner on Diesel, just to promote the CNG ignition, if it's significantly cheaper than Diesel where you live.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
little more on adsorption:
Adsorbed Natural Gas (ANG) vs. LNG and CNG - scopeWe - a Virtual Engineer

"The amount of adsorbed and delivered natural gas strongly depends on the type of adsorbent solids used. There are two important numbers: 213 v/v is the maximum theoretical capacity of activated carbon, and 120 v/v that is the capacity of usual adsorbents. Reaching to the maximum theoretical capacity from the low normal capacity of adsorbents has been the activating energy to expand ANG industry. It is notable that 150 v/v is known to be economical capacity for industrial adsorbents. "
I absolutely agree about ANG vs CNG vs LNG. This is the best way to go. This is the future of natural gas car industry. It solves many problems and makes possible and cheap/affordable home refueling. We actually make adsorbent material work like pump for free.

But the problem is we live right here and right now. If you tell me where I can buy adsorbent material today I will buy it and put it inside my 3000 Psi CNG tanks or even take LPG tank and fill it up with this magical material. Everything I can see right now is all experimental and nobody knows when we can see the light.....

I can build 500 Psi compressor in just one day using R410a compressor. But I need at least 1200 Psi to get 2 GGE using my 2 large 3000 Psi tanks. I don't want to add 3 more tanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I know but you are well into "one off" land at 1200psi, so it isn't going to be much use to anyone else, whereas finding an appropriate source of activated charcoal would benefit many.

Edit: just doing some more homework.
http://web.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/prepr...08-98_0575.pdf

Last edited by P-hack; 12-30-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I know but you are well into "one off" land at 1200psi, so it isn't going to be much use to anyone else, whereas finding an appropriate source of activated charcoal would benefit many.
To build 1200 Psi CNG pump is real. I keep collecting all necessary parts and as soon as I get them all I will start building. My plan is to build a pump capable of pumping to 2000-2500 Psi.

I only use high pressure components rated the lowest of 5000 Psi. 1200 Psi is just a number I need for my daily driving needs.

I don't think 2 GGE is so useless. This is giving you a range of 60 miles using a small fuel efficient vehicle. If my pump can pump 2500 Psi this will give the same range but you can use only 1 tank.

At least I can see this as today reality. ANG....??? I am saying yes I love it but who knows when?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is a list of many CNG/ANG/LNG projects :

MOVE | ARPA-E

The problem is this is all theoretical....
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

May be somebody can give me an answer. Why all over the world everybody use "doughnut" shape gas tanks for propane that fit into spare tire cavity and in US/Canada this tanks are not approved????? Different physic laws in the USA????? Or just very successful lobby???

There is no logical explanation. If this shape phenomenon made impossible to use propane in cars how do you see ANG problem will be resolved?????

I can only say to myself DIY man DIY. Don't wait until ANG phenomenon will be "discovered" by public.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The doughnut types are usually much smaller than the big ones you put in the trunk.
And there could be some regulatory issues as well.

I commend you for the bravery to try to get this working yourself. I'm much to afraid something goes wrong when pumping a flammable gas under pressure.

I am curious though as to the economical side. As in when do you break even regarding all the cost for equipment against the diesel savings?
Here in the netherlands I would probably not get a diy system like yours to pass the regulatory check/recertification that is required when you change the fuel type of the car.
Is there nothing like that in canada?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The problem with a fumigation CNG setup is that it displaces Oxygen while depressurizing, so it goes like choking the intake.
it displaces oxygen, not air?

vlad:
a while ago i was researching compressing homemade methane to a liquid state to give a tankful meaningful energy i discovered that about 1100 psi was required. not only that but to do so safely, 3 carefully determined stages were required. after each stage the compressed gas needed to be chilled in order to prevent auto-ignition. iirc propane has similar requirements.
with your R410a compressor you would have to run three of them in series with chillers inbetween...? is your compressor a relatively high volume pump,
if so it could be tricky accomplishing the chilling sucessfully!

oh, crushing the charcoal likely limited the flow capacity of your propane thus starving your lawnmover. fyi, nano-fibres made form charred chicken feathers are being experimented with for use in hydrogen fuel cells..

Last edited by max_frontal_area; 01-04-2014 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #99 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
it displaces oxygen, not air?
Right. It ends up displacing air, not just Oxygen.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #100 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Save Your Self a Life style with Natural Gas

Hello every one, Bob Mann here Save Your Self a Life style with Natural Gas. I have been building and converting cars and truck to CNG-Bi fuel for over 10 years here in Boston MA home fueling for over 5 years at a cost of 60 cents a GGE = GAL.
My site for my VW and Audi repair business is I do show some of my CNG work and YouTube's there.
For Home fueling I use a anisole 223 scuba high pressure I can pump 2 GGE a hour all day long if I wish.
I save $200 to $400 a month on fuel cost for transposition by running CNG as my primary fuel.
I have 4 converted cars and a VW Euro van Winnebago Camper witch we love we can drive 300 miles for $12 on CNG.
For the DYI end you do need some skill sets but it can be learned .
If I can be of help to show what really work feel free to ask I will do my best.

If they will change my count I will add the links to me YouTubes
Bob Mann

Reply  Post New Thread