Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
So I really, really love my Volt. In a twisted attempt to return my love, it tries to kill me a couple times a week. I mean, it thinks it's doing me a favor but it's a favor that makes it pretty hard to hypermile!

Like any hypermiler I tend to corner pretty fast since I don't want to lose momentum, but I also tend to drive with the cruise control on since I'm lazy. Apparently this is a bad combination in a Volt!

There's one particular curve on my daily route where the speed limit is 35 mph. It's a pretty sharp curve of about 100 degrees, but my car will handle it fine at 30-35mph, so I always leave the cruise on around the curve. But occasionally when the tires start to bite the Volt will light up the "Traction Control" warning light, which also kicks off the cruise control. To make matters worse I always drive in "L", which gives me max regen.

So basically I enter the curve at a reasonable 30-35 mph, and within the span of about half a second the traction control warning light comes on, the car kicks itself out of cruise control and immediately goes into max regen, dangerously slowing the car and making me shout the f-word out of the blue.

Have any of you other Volt owners noticed this?

Last edited by cowmeat; 03-21-2017 at 05:05 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (10-24-2017), ocnorb (07-08-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #162 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Yes, but not due to cruse control, I have had strange depowering events when taking corners fast driving normally or coasting.

In L during traction control you loose regen and each tire brakes independently to hold the line.

Million times better than prius traction control but its still traction control and traction control on a volt when you aren't accelerating isn't much fun.
Traction control + L is even less fun because you get a disconcerting loss of braking power until you push the pedal in further.

Some folks hated it so much they bought grippy non-lrr tires,
then it usually stops.

There is also some sort of "gyroscope" like device in the head unit by the radio that occasionally is defective, if its bad your car will corner great turning one direction but handle like el toro crapo in the other.

Ah well,
Good Luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
eco_generator (03-21-2017), Kimonoskunk (10-24-2017), roflwaffle (04-27-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #163 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
So is the traction control something I can just turn off?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #164 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
So is the traction control something I can just turn off?
MY 2012 Volt Traction Control (TCS) and StabiliTrak (ESP) Manual Deactivation

Because you have a 2012 I think you can (sort of)

To turn off both traction control and StabiliTrak, press and hold the TCS/ESC button located on the overhead console, until and illuminate in the instrument cluster and the appropriate DIC message is displayed. See Ride Control System Messages. Press and release the TCS/ESC button to turn on both systems

If you do turn it off I recommend going to a large empty parking lot and testing the cars handling, volts are ass heavy which can be disconcerting if you loose it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Thanks!

I'll try that tonight when I leave work.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #166 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
That seems to have worked, I tried it taking a pretty tight turn this morning and it didn't kick the cruise off

I'm going to try it again on the way home in the other direction tonite

Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #167 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
So I really, really love my Volt. .....

There's one particular curve on my daily route .... the Volt will light up the "Traction Control" warning light, which also kicks off the cruise control. To make matters worse I always drive in "L", which gives me max regen.

I've found that for cruise control driving I get better results in D, overall. When ending the cruise drive, or around town I use L for braking in most instances. Use of D approaching the corner you visit every day would make your life somewhat less exciting, perhaps an idea to consider?

I also find that cruise control kicks off when I'm on the inside of a corner that tightens enough to light up a vehicle in the outer lane when that vehicle is within the Volt's perception of a forward collision. The vehicle in the outer lane appears stationary to the Volt's system so it goes into alert mode.

Overall though .... Love this Volt!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lindsayjim For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (04-05-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 AM   #168 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
You people and your bloody space ships!

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #169 (permalink)
KFM
EcoModding Lurker

Terminator - '00 Honda Insight Base
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.78 mpg (US)

High Voltage - '12 Chevrolet Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 108.44 mpg (US)
I drove the Volt for a couple days while my dad was out of town, and here are my thoughts on it.

First of all, hitting the accelerator in the Volt felt so good compared to the output that you get from an ICE. I had never driven an electric, before, and it was a different experience with the steady and silent acceleration. Instantaneous torque and not having to stop and shift makes 0-60 so much fun in Sport mode. It feels like you're getting up to speed on a tire-assisted roller coaster. Getting up to speed in Normal mode is nice and laid back, and I didn't feel like I needed to push it to get up to speed.

It had very little cabin noise, except a quiet high-pitched whine that popped up occasionally, I can't remember what the circumstances were, and the gas engine kicking in when the battery is out/when driving in Mountain mode. The gasoline engine isn't too loud, but has a decent bit of rumble when the battery is exhausted. I drove some of the way in Mountain mode on the highway and left the battery for in-town, where it's quieter.

All in all, it was a very comfortable ride and handled exactly the way that I wanted it to. I turned the TCS off immediately after finding the button, so I don't really know how it drives with it on. The car felt heavy, but I'm used to a Gen 1 Insight, so I'm not a great judge of weight, but it definitely felt heavier than my wife's '09 Civic. It felt fine around corners, though, and I drove it in L, so I only had to hit the brakes two or three times in the whole day, so the weight didn't make much of a difference in how I drove it. The car is lower than I expected, and when taking speed bumps at around 18 mph, the guard brushed the road surface. Also, when backing up, the bumper is low enough to hit the curb, so use care if backing into a space at the end of a lot.

The field of view through the windshield was a little uncomfortable, at first, because it felt squished vertically, but I got used to it by the second day and didn't notice it anymore, as it's plenty wide. The pillars stay out of your way when going around corners, too, so I didn't need to crane my head all over the place like I do in my wife's Civic when driving through my neighborhood. The rear field of view is pretty obscured, but I don't have a rear-view mirror in my Insight, so I can't really speak to how functional it is, since I always use the side mirrors when backing up. I did try to tilt the rear-view mirror up and at its highest point, it still felt too low for me, as it mostly showed the bottom half of the window. The side mirrors offered a good view of what was around me, and were taller, so you could see quite a bit out of them.

I found that with a commute as long as mine, about 70 miles, it was a little too much for the battery to handle with my driving style. I spent about $1.00 on electricity charging it up to get 57 miles on the battery, then spent another $2.35 on a gallon of gas for the extra 40 miles I put on it over the course of the day. I drove part of my commute in Mountain mode to save the battery for when I got back into town, and that seemed to help a little, but wasn't much of a gain over the first day that I drove it fully in Normal. However, it was quieter this way, you just need to do some math in your head so that you don't waste gas and pull into the house with some battery charge left. I did about 10 miles of my 70-mile commute in Mountain mode on the highway, and it worked out just right.

I would end up using a little gas on my commute every day with the Volt; which with our off-peak rate of about $.09/kWh, is more expensive per mile than using the battery. I'd say if you have a shorter commute ( around 45-50 miles if you're not living in FL where it's warm and flat ), you could probably drive the whole commute with the battery. With our electric company's off-peak rates and the high "eMPG" you get with the battery, it costs almost nothing to drive it, and if your commute is shorter, you should be able to crank the A/C a little higher or do some driving in Sport mode, which is extremely fun. I kept the A/C fan at about 2 and turned it up to 3 if it started getting warmer. The first day, I drove with the A/C on 3 and got 43.7 miles out of the battery, but maybe four miles was wasted due to me gunning it in Sport mode to show it off to my co-worker. I found that the car had about 9.4kWh at its disposal on my two drives and according to my Kill-A-Watt, took 12.13kWh to charge from empty to full charging with 120V.

I had a great time driving it, it was much more comfortable than my Insight, and it has a little graphic with a spinning circle to keep the acceleration and brake under control. Having no idea how to drive an electric, I followed this little circle as a guideline, and it seemed to get me pretty good mileage, even after the battery charge ran out. The keyless start and hokey startup and shutdown sounds it makes spoke to the 13-year-old in me, and there's just something about this car that is undoubtedly cool. I could see me getting one in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KFM For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (07-08-2017), RedDevil (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #170 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

R2 - '13 Chevy Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 20764 mpg (US)
Nice review!

My '13 always has about 10.4kWh used after a full discharge and my 240v charger shows about 11.7-11.9kWh to fully recharge.

What year was the car you used?

1997 Landcruiser (Bruiser) -sadly gets about 11.5 MPG...
Reply  Post New Thread