Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I gotcha. Tesla may have mirrors available, but if they do I think they'll be an option. If the truck is all OTR, especially if it's use by a large company over a predefined route (I believe most of the pre-orders fit this), no mirrors is likely fine, since it'll just be yard to yard, maybe with a stop or two at a megacharger. A truck used for drayage or local deliveries might have mirrors added by Tesla as an option, or just bolted on after purchase if Tesla doesn't offer them, albeit with the disclaimer that they'll hurt range.

To be fair, I think Tesla can get away without mirrors at low speeds because of the ultrasonic sensors, not because of the cameras, but I don't see anything preventing someone from bolting on some mirrors.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
The Cummins rig has no mirrors either?

Bet both Tesla and Cummins have some podlike thing with a rear view camera to stick on the back of the trailer.
An axle level rear view camera on the rig could be useful too, even with a trailer.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
It’s not that the pack isn’t feasible, chargeable on long distance trips is not reasonable

TSLAs design is undrivable by a human, all of our trucks today have cameras but the truck operator has to be able to communicate with ground staff and physically look out the window and behind the truck for clearance when backing into docks, large blocks and other obstacles are littered all over that the driver has to thread the kneedle with his trailer.
Sleeper-equipped trucks don`t have rear-facing windows - did I miss something? Communicating is done with the radio, isn`t it? Or do people still roll down windows and yell? Getting a coffee at a drive-through may be a problem ...

When I`m backing up a cabin trailer and a boat with just a half-ton .. you don`t see anything out the back. The mirrors are in the wrong places. You can`t see straight down on the side of the truck or at the front corners. Maybe you can see straight down on a semi-tractor .. but just on the driver`s side.

Backup cameras on the trucks are OK. Add a wireless fish-eye .. where you need it to be .. and it`s a whole lot easier. Ford and Chev surround views are pretty good. The auto-trailer backup works with a single trailer - not with a trailer and a boat .. at least the ones that I have seen.

IMHO (but I am not a trucker), with a surround view, a driver can do anything in a center driving position, with no windows at all, that a driver can do in a semi-tractor now.

BUT .. I`m usually wrong when I guess about stuff that I don`t have experience with ... like you are thinking that Tesla did ... so what did I miss?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Our guys quite literally lean out the widows to check the clearance between the trailer and the side walls, thread the needle, maybe 2” of clearance on either side.

Radios usually don’t work over the level of noise,

So yeah a lot of caveman stuff going on in the real world
Old 01-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
Current law requires all highway vehicles have to have physical glass mirrors. You can add cameras in addition but not as a replacement for mirrors.

Reply  Post New Thread