Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Swift '06 - '06 Suzuki Swift (Base)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How many cars had CVT during OBD-I?

Are there any noises when you release the accelerator? It sounds like a mechanical problem, perhaps one or more dragging brakes. Please take your cold car for a quick drive around the block, accelerate to 30 MPH (45-50 KPH), coast to a stop, and then carefully see if one brake is warmer than the others.
Not many.

I couldn't detect much of a temperature difference which leads me to suspect that getting thrown back in your seat when letting off the gas is just an idiosyncrasy of primitive CVT-equipped cars struggling with changing ratios.

My question remains for someone to kindly answer, however:
  • Is coasting in neutral with engine on in a CVT safe? If so, should it only be utilised when you know you have to come to a stop such that the car can be put back into 'drive' when stationary?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Many argue that coasting in neutral is never safe, although I do not know if anyone here would say that.

There could still be other issues, like worn wheel bearings. Has it always done this?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Swift '06 - '06 Suzuki Swift (Base)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Many argue that coasting in neutral is never safe, although I do not know if anyone here would say that.

There could still be other issues, like worn wheel bearings. Has it always done this?
I saved this car about 6 months ago after seeing it lying on a nature strip where the owner said it had apparently sat for three years. After several professional inspections, repairs and replacements many of the issues it had were resolved except the problem of the front-left tyre deflating by approximately 1psi per week (the other wheels losing around .3psi a week). I had this wheel looked at by a tyre centre and valve stem supposedly 'fixed' but on probing for further info as to the condition of the wheel 'bearings' were never mentioned...

It's always done this, though the transmission is much louder than it used to be when travelling at speeds above 70km/h (unfortunately there are pretty much no CVTs for this car left in the country unless I find a donor and in any case I want to replace the car with a manual version one day when another red one pops up).

Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
The Prius's CVT is a beltless CVT, and some car cvts have a clutch for freewheeling what

I've heard. But I wouldn't coast engine off with any non-manual except with a VERY OLD autoslushbox that has a second pump on the output axle

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I've also wondered about this with the Lineartronic CVT in my wife's Impreza... It seems like you're putting on the brakes as soon as you lift completely off the throttle... Despite this, I can coax some pretty decent mileage out of it though... Subaru doesn't recommend flat towing this transmission, so I doubt it's safe to coast mine in neutral...

My last Ecotec project...
Reply  Post New Thread