Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I find the traffic thing to be overblown. Granted we don't have much traffic here where I live, but I don't envision it being a big deal for me. I like your use of the term zen-like, redpoint, for me it is the actual act of working all the parts of a manual transmission that I truly enjoy. Sadly, few share this sentiment. Now that I think about it, I think I got some of this from my Dad, who is far from an MT partisan but who impressed upon me how much he enjoys an MT and how much he realizes he misses one when he gets in the pilot's seat so equipped.

I do believe that even if you choose auto over manual that it should be required that you learn to drive manual. Not only is it good to have that skill set, it gives a bit of an appreciation for driving as well.

Next car for me will have a REQUIREMENT for MT. Luckily many of the cars on my list will be reasonably easy to sniff out with a row-it-yourself gearbox.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #52 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
I like the looks of the chevy cruze eco. No EOC because of turbocharger, but that wide ratio manual makes it a fair trade off.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wait, somebody is selling a vehicle equipped with a non-CVT, non-lockup 6sp auto these days? I thought non-locking torque converters went the way of the dodo 30 years ago... :P
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Horse with no name - '00 Ford Mustang Base
Team Mustang
90 day: 20.53 mpg (US)

Orange peel - '00 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
Don't forget this trend is mostly in the United States. In most of Europe if you don't offer a Manual shift you won't sell many cars.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pjbgravely For This Useful Post:
digital rules (10-24-2014), ECONORAM (10-27-2014), Felar (10-24-2014), freebeard (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I find both kinds of gearboxes useful. The automatic is for driving the cars that are like kitchen appliances, that I don't care much about (e.g. the Honda Accord). Also more for city driving, chores, etc when I can't be bothered to pay much attention to my driving. The manual is for my driving car, the one I enjoy trips on (the VW Passat TDI) - more for the country.

One other factor. Cars have gotten so disconnected from our inputs - everything has a computer between me and the wheels, brakes, etc. I don't really like that much; cars were more interesting, more visceral (if not more efficient) when the only electronic thing in them was the radio. Shifting manually is a way to get a little of that feeling back.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Threads like this are part of why I come here.

Personally, I agree that drivers have become so ‘disconnected’ from the cars that much of the joy of ‘driving’ has been lost.

You push on the gas and it goes through a computer before going to an electric motor on the throttle body to actually move the throttle (based on what the computer ‘interprets’ as being the best blade angle/ load value/etc.).
Once you step on the throttle and start moving the computer determines shift points based on some engineers best-fit equation of when the optimal balance point is between engine load, hp/torque production and acceleration needs (which is always ‘reactive’ at best and seldom ‘right’ as it is a ‘best fit’ type of computation).
You step on the brake and the computer determines how the brakes will function (ABS) or it just steps on the brakes ‘for you’ if it senses the need.
You crank the wheel and the computer determines if you’re setting yourself up for a spin (TC/ Stability Control) and ‘helps’ you by applying brakes and/or reducing power.
Nearly every driver input on a new car goes through a ‘committee’ and is ‘approved’ or ‘modified’ before being transmitted into actual change. How long before the steering is done through the computer and the driver is nothing more than a passenger (don’t think they’re not working on it)?

As far as automatics go, I really think they are, at least partially, mfr. driven. There is FAR more profit in an auto than a manual and, as a manufacturer, why would you NOT try to convince the buying public that the more profitable option is ‘best’. I used to work at one of the ‘Big 3’'s transmission building plants and I know for a fact that the FWD autos we were building cost roughly $180/unit to manufactuer (total cost, out the door). Considering automatics are an $800-1200 option (on vehicles that actually give you an option) that is a LOT of money when you’re talking 40-50k/ cars a yr. You’re EASILY talking an additional $25,000,000/yr by convincing people to opt for the ‘convenience’ of an auto or to not give them a choice and just raise the price of the car accordingly (you don’t think all of those ‘standard features’ cars come with now are coming free, do you?).

As for me, I've resolved to buy ONLY vehicles that have a manual trans. Even my wife drives a MT daily and loves the fact that she can coax such good mpg from it. Manuals give you a LOT of capabilities for coaxing out mileage and, for me anyways, add a great deal of fun to the drive.
The only consession I've made to this rule is with my big-ol SUV we use for camping trips and pulling trailers. There was simply nothing available, made within the last 30yrs, that would meet our needs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CAPTAIN CHAOS For This Useful Post:
digital rules (10-24-2014), ECONORAM (10-27-2014), MetroMPG (10-24-2014), redneck (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #57 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS View Post
I used to work at one of the ‘Big 3’'s transmission building plants and I know for a fact that the FWD autos we were building cost roughly $180/unit to manufactuer (total cost, out the door).
Interesting. Thanks for the insider info.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the insider info.
Yeah, those were actually 'bad' numbers at the time as the push was to bring them down into the $160's range.

Keep in mind though that my 'data' is from roughly 10 years ago. I doubt that the current cost is much over $200 though and I wouldn't be surprised if mfg improvements has kept it close to where it was when I worked there.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I guess the $1000 for an auto trans on the option sheet is to recoup the R&D costs? These things are pretty complex to design.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
darcane (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Acura - '02 Acura RSX Type-S
I used to drive through Philly every day (commuting from Trenton area, where I lived, to Delaware, where I worked) in my RSX with the lightest off-the-shelf flywheel made for that engine series, and a sticky, heavy racing clutch. Stop-and-go traffic every day in both directions. It was no more (or less) irritating than driving through there in a slushbox. So yes, I'd say the "but traffic" argument is way overblown.

It's nice to see some evidence that big kid transmissions are making a comeback. The nice thing about standard transmissions is that they force you to pay more attention to the act of driving, and less attention to your phone or makeup or whatever other stupid thing is distracting you from operating a multi-thousand-pound missile.

The Following User Says Thank You to Floppie For This Useful Post:
digital rules (10-24-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread