Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
KFM
EcoModding Lurker

Terminator - '00 Honda Insight Base
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.78 mpg (US)

High Voltage - '12 Chevrolet Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 108.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I believe the cold side is the yellow and black. With the relay, you're cutting the ground to the injectors, not the power.
Oh, yeah, thanks. I deleted the post because I was reading it on mobile and skipped right over that without noticing it.

I got it all wired up last night. Well, there's still a wire running across the floor from the shift knob to the door, right now, but I tested it out last night and it worked perfectly. Excellent write-up, Balto. I've been holding off on this mod for like a year because I thought it was going to be really complicated, but it was pretty painless, and the benefits are gonna be huge when I'm in stop-and-go traffic and always wasting speed trying to force the car to auto stop.

Just drove my first full tank with the killswitch, and was able to get over 80mpg. Just barely over, but I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without this mod.

Last edited by KFM; 06-20-2017 at 11:17 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Just remember that you're using the 12V after you hit the kill switch, so if you have the lights on and radio, etc . . . now you're pulling power out of that little lawn mower battery up front. And if I remember correctly you're losing the power steering (I could be wrong on that one, it's been a while)

And make sure you aren't pumping the brakes after killing it, you only get a pump or two before the brake pedal goes hard. One long slow braking action works best

Nice one on the 80 mpg tank, that's something I never pulled off in either of my Insights!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
KFM
EcoModding Lurker

Terminator - '00 Honda Insight Base
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.78 mpg (US)

High Voltage - '12 Chevrolet Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 108.44 mpg (US)
Thanks, I was pretty psyched to actually reach it.

Yeah, I remembered seeing that on here when I originally looked into it. I usually pause the radio if it's a long coast, but there's only like one long coast I can do on the way home, and none on the way to work. I didn't lose power steering like I did when I used to shut it off with this; it seems to stay on for a while, at least. I'm typically just coasting up to a light or down a hill, so I'm not usually hitting the brakes more than once, anyway.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
With headlights, radio, and pressing the brake it would take about 45 minutes, if not longer, to kill the 12v battery. Just to let you know.

Reply  Post New Thread