Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGee View Post
My rules of engagement are similar:
  • On freeways, follow a "slow" big rig. (No one bothers me for going slow...)
best rule here, and big rigs know how to cruise and naturally are hypermiliing all the time, they see it all, and usually know whats way ahead of them too,

i def hang w big rigs, i even know how to say "u can get in front of me" and "thank you" w lights =)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #82 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Slow and steady, doing your fellow commuters a favor

Mindful of the traffic-waves, absorb the traffic jam conditions. Eco-zen driving; keeping lots of space, slow and steady driving helps in the physics of the larger commuter flow.

One Driver Can Prevent a Traffic Jam - WSJ

Accidental discovery.

Last edited by botsapper; 10-12-2016 at 07:02 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
101Volts (07-24-2019), MPGee (10-12-2016), ThermionicScott (12-16-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #83 (permalink)
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
best rule here, and big rigs know how to cruise and naturally are hypermiliing all the time, they see it all, and usually know whats way ahead of them too,

i def hang w big rigs, i even know how to say "u can get in front of me" and "thank you" w lights =)
Most of the time the "hypermiling" big rigs want to pass me when I'm doing 60 MPH on the freeway. I have my guesses as to these signals you speak of. Can you spell them out for me? Most important would be "OK to pass me."
Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I like to maintain the big rig speeds which from what I see are usually the speed limit or 5 over, the only thing i don't do w hypermiling is the max 60mph

its trucker language, ok if u are in right lane and a truck is trying to get over (turn signal) or appears to be able to get over (plenty of room [or u give them the room] and aggressive driver behind them) you can give them a confirmation on getting over if you just flash ur highbeams once.

once u flash they usually will turn over in front of you, and then in return flash thier fourway hazards once or twice saying thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prophecy99 For This Useful Post:
Giles_K (11-09-2016), MPGee (10-13-2016), ThermionicScott (12-16-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
Mindful of the traffic-waves, absorb the traffic jam conditions. Eco-zen driving; keeping lots of space, slow and steady driving helps in the physics of the larger commuter flow.

One Driver Can Prevent a Traffic Jam - WSJ

Accidental discovery.
very intersting makes some sense, i think its a numbers games, driving habits are contagious , in both directions! crazy or calm
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here is some information from the Internet.

“The most common signal is used by cars and trucks in oncoming lanes. They will double-flash their headlights when they just passed a police speed trap that you’re heading toward.

“More than two consecutive flashes from oncoming traffic signals that there is another type of danger ahead, such as a foreign object on the road and drivers should proceed with caution. These two signals are often confused, but the appropriate action is the same, slow down.

“Another signal is for lane change clearance. Because semi-trucks are so long, it can be difficult for the driver to tell if he can safely change lanes in front of you. You can quickly flash your headlights when his trailer clears your car and there is room for him to move back into the driving lane (as appose to the passing lane).

“Truck drivers will put their flashing hazard lights on when the highway traffic is coming to an abrupt stop.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joggernot For This Useful Post:
101Volts (07-24-2019), MPGee (10-13-2016), ThermionicScott (12-16-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #87 (permalink)
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Thanks, Prophecy99 and Joggernot.

Actually, Prophecy99, I thought you were saying you knew a trucker-lingo-signal that meant that the trucker behind you should go ahead and pass you. .

And, back to the main subject, today I had some lady (I'm assuming, by the pink stickers and frame on the back of the minivan) honk three times blazing by passing on my left. She was gonna swing in immediately in front of me, except that I was letting in two cars merging onto the freeway, so it she changed her mind. lol.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just had a tailgating Hummer H2 of all the things. Cruising behind a semi in traffic at under 30mph with maybe 2 car lengths and he finds the need to ride my ass for a good 3 miles then swing out in the right lane and cut in front and go the same speed...

I also drive a truck/trailer combo for work and utilize the quick high beam flash to let other trucks know they're clear as well as the hazards for abruptly slowing traffic. On Highway 70 between Marysville and Oroville it's 1 lane each direction farm road with passing allowed and had a young girl almost slam into the rear of my trailer when traffic slowed for a turning truck at 60 mph (posted limit 55) because she was texting. She ended up in the field thankfully.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For me, I think traffic lights are the best situation of this. Of course, on the highway I try to drive at a higher speed - if I'm driving 200 + miles, cutting down to 50-60 can add the best part of an extra hour.

Although I do like it when I spot a fellow eco-miler Always nice to see drivers get annoyed by more than one of us, only to have to brake/start their car at a red light.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For me, I think traffic lights are the best situation of this. Of course, on the highway I try to drive at a higher speed - if I'm driving 200 + miles, cutting down to 50-60 can add the best part of an extra hour.

Although I do like it when I spot a fellow eco-miler Always nice to see drivers get annoyed by more than one of us, only to have to brake/start their car at a red light.

Reply  Post New Thread