Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The leg issue is still being sorted. See low&slow and his latest success compared with Alan Smith's streamliner. Both are well developed machines but I suspect a front or diagonal hinged door will eventually prove most suitable in touring. A commuter scooter may only need a smaller opening. Ease of putting a foot down at a stop and protecting the legs in a crash or slide are key. The main bulkhead needs to be strong enough to resist crushing in a roll and anchor the rear crush zone. The front crush cell would be integrated with the frame and front wheel. While a long way from popular, an inertial reel lap belt needs to complement the front air bag.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
nickec (10-20-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well done Nickec, I will be following your progress with great interest.
I have often thought that a Gy6 engined scooter would make a good donor, the problems I encountered with brake and gear linkages are already solved.

If you want to lower the seat, there are any number of different manifolds available. It may even be possible to reverse your existing manifold so that the carb faces forward.

Have you considered using a car roof box as a basis for full enclosure?.

Available in many different shapes and sizes.
What are your thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironside For This Useful Post:
nickec (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Check state laws to see if there is a minimum seat height.
nickec (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
... different manifolds available. It may even be possible to reverse your existing manifold so that the carb faces forward.
Interesting information. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Have you considered using a car roof box as a basis for full enclosure? ... What are your thoughts?
This idea merits investigation, Ironside. Creative trimming of such might work well. They do vary in sturdiness, by make and model.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Check state laws to see if there is a minimum seat height.
I have made a survey of state laws. The most common limitation/requirement involves a measurement of handlebar height relative to seat height - 15 inches. Likely an attempt to limit "ape bars", de rigueur among some motorcyclists.

Some states have a lower seat height requirement for three-wheelers and some relax requirements when the vehicle has a enclosing body.

Where I am testing the vehicle meets all legal requirements.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Short video demonstrates lock-to-lock steering freedom and very primitive nature of the test fairing as it stands. More video to come of street operation and daily modifications. The fairing as pictured greatly improves cold weather comfort - it has been ridden in recent temperatures below 42 degrees fahrenheit without gloves.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Next steps:

Add material, panels that is, to improve cosmetics of nose to door junction at foot openings.

Make patterns for engine firewall below seat.

Add panels to begin to explore effect of closing rear of body.

Operation thus far indicates need for convenient door "latching". The oversize Acco clip works but only marginally. Velcro is only a stop-gap measure - I will try it - not a satisfactory long-term solution. Proper door security is mandatory in later versions.

While the single layer side panels suffice, placing strategically placed doublers will solidify fairing. Flexing is very minor at maximum legal speed, however I find the flex something I would prefer to further minimize.

An engine firewall and a better floor, right now there is just tubing, will improve rider comfort. Adjusting floor angle small amounts seems to have large effects on comfort.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Today I hoped to test the fairing with some "improvements". The temporary fuel system I rigged let me down this evening. Ran out of development time for today.

Tomorrow I will resolve fuel issue and add more panels, brackets, and stiffeners - maybe even a faux roll bar to explore roof sizing. Then I hope to post a drive-by and perhaps a pilot POV video.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For a streamlined body I found that there are plans for sailplanes that can be easily adapted. For a scooter try www.vintagesailplaner.com/CondorSheet_1.pdf Also the Bowlus BA 100Baby Condor has a similar design with a smoother fuselage. Paper model plans work well for designs using 4 mm Coroplast or light sheet metal.
nickec (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
For a streamlined body I found that there are plans for sailplanes that can be easily adapted. ...
OpenVSP provides excellent freeware that is very useful for fairing design. A motivated user can do FEA and airflow analysis quickly. We are very fortunate that NASA decided to open source this code.

Here is a very small aircraft design I made using OpenVSP: VSP Hangar | NC11v.07

One great feature is that once a design is uploaded to http://hanger.openvsp.org web surfers can manipulate the model easily to see any possible vantage point.

While I have used many CAD programs, I prefer DeltaCAD for quick work. It is very inexpensive, has a good trial, and a very short learning curve. See http://deltacad.com/download for a trial download. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by nickec; 10-23-2014 at 11:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickec For This Useful Post:
gil (10-24-2014), Grant-53 (10-24-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread