Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

I can be highly confident predicting the future, and that would be the predictions of the future will be wrong.

Electric cars are awesome, the problem has always been and continues to be the cost and capacity of batteries. We are now at a point they are viable, but need another 2x in capacity and 1/2 cost, to really get them widely accepted.

There is an easy fix for this issue, which is have a highly efficient car, instead of trying to convert highly inefficient gas cars into electric ones...like Tesla has done. Easy to create a good car that costs $100,000, particularly when you can spend $1 billion doing it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
We are now at a point they are viable, but need another 2x in capacity and 1/2 cost, to really get them widely accepted.
That's a bit excessive. I'd say either/or would be fine. Or maybe just a 25% cost reduction.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Gas Stations: "Reports of my death are an exaggeration"

I'm more inclined to believe that we will be closer to the DoE report that the author references showing that in 2040 electric cars will still be a small minority.

It's one thing to have a niche market of EVs, it's entirely another to have the majority of cars be EVs. For that to happen, we need robust, long-lasting batteries that are not reliant on rare-earth materials. I don't see that happening any time soon.

The author praises the Tesla and uses it to show the wonders of the electric car:
  • It’s more fun to drive, with smooth, transmission-less acceleration. For most of us it is the fastest car we have ever owned.
  • It’s quieter at all times and nearly silent at low speeds.
  • It is always “full” every morning one drives it and you never need to go to a gas station.
  • It has a user interface - including, notably, its navigation system - as superior to that of other cars as the iPhone was to earlier phones.
  • It is connected to the Internet.
  • It continuously gets better with automatic updates and software improvements.
  • It’s more roomy and has a trunk in the front (the “frunk”) AND a spacious back.
  • It comes with an app that allows you to manage the car from your phone.
  • It allows you to drive in the carpool lane and to sign up for a cheaper energy usage plan at home (obviously these incentives won’t last, but they will help get us to the tipping point described below).

But this is for a car that ranges from $70,000-145,000! For that kind of money, a gas-powered car will have most of this too. It won't be "full every morning" but the trade off is that it is a lot easier to take a 1000 mile road-trip in a gas car.

Compare the more plebian EVs (Nissan Leaf) to your typical gas car and I think you'll find far less excitement from your average car buyer. I think the success or failure of the Bolt will be far more telling than any of the current EVs since it looks more like a normal car, has a pretty decent range, and is priced low enough to be competitive with conventional commuter cars.

The author uses smartphones as an example for why electrics are going to take off. I think people's experiences with smartphones may be why resale value of electrics is atrocious. Most people seem to think smartphones are disposable and replace them after two years. By then they screens are cracked and the battery life is severely depleted. If the battery in your other electronics only lasts a few years, why spend so much on an electric car that you will replace in two years?

I grew up in Alaska and there were long stretches of road with no gas stations. When we drove through these, we'd just bring a 5-gallon fuel tank or two. It was really no big deal. Try doing that with an EV.

I hadn't heard about a rate hike. Do you use PSE? I'm not too worried about it though, rates are pretty low around here and we actually had a rate reduction last summer.

For reference, PSE reports only about 1/3 hydroelectric as of 2013:
Electric Supply
I'm with Avista. I have a friend that is a engineer on one of the Dams and have been talking to him about the water issues were having this year. He said the increase will be happening later this year. How much is unknown?
Lets just say its a major problem that is not being talked to much about.

As far as electric cars go what is the cost per mile now, based on the National average kWh?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Gas Stations: "Reports of my death are an exaggeration"

I'm more inclined to believe that we will be closer to the DoE report that the author references showing that in 2040 electric cars will still be a small minority.

It's one thing to have a niche market of EVs, it's entirely another to have the majority of cars be EVs. For that to happen, we need robust, long-lasting batteries that are not reliant on rare-earth materials. I don't see that happening any time soon.

The author praises the Tesla and uses it to show the wonders of the electric car:
  • It’s more fun to drive, with smooth, transmission-less acceleration. For most of us it is the fastest car we have ever owned.
  • It’s quieter at all times and nearly silent at low speeds.
  • It is always “full” every morning one drives it and you never need to go to a gas station.
  • It has a user interface - including, notably, its navigation system - as superior to that of other cars as the iPhone was to earlier phones.
  • It is connected to the Internet.
  • It continuously gets better with automatic updates and software improvements.
  • It’s more roomy and has a trunk in the front (the “frunk”) AND a spacious back.
  • It comes with an app that allows you to manage the car from your phone.
  • It allows you to drive in the carpool lane and to sign up for a cheaper energy usage plan at home (obviously these incentives won’t last, but they will help get us to the tipping point described below).

But this is for a car that ranges from $70,000-145,000! For that kind of money, a gas-powered car will have most of this too. It won't be "full every morning" but the trade off is that it is a lot easier to take a 1000 mile road-trip in a gas car.

Compare the more plebian EVs (Nissan Leaf) to your typical gas car and I think you'll find far less excitement from your average car buyer. I think the success or failure of the Bolt will be far more telling than any of the current EVs since it looks more like a normal car, has a pretty decent range, and is priced low enough to be competitive with conventional commuter cars.

The author uses smartphones as an example for why electrics are going to take off. I think people's experiences with smartphones may be why resale value of electrics is atrocious. Most people seem to think smartphones are disposable and replace them after two years. By then they screens are cracked and the battery life is severely depleted. If the battery in your other electronics only lasts a few years, why spend so much on an electric car that you will replace in two years?

I grew up in Alaska and there were long stretches of road with no gas stations. When we drove through these, we'd just bring a 5-gallon fuel tank or two. It was really no big deal. Try doing that with an EV.

I hadn't heard about a rate hike. Do you use PSE? I'm not too worried about it though, rates are pretty low around here and we actually had a rate reduction last summer.

For reference, PSE reports only about 1/3 hydroelectric as of 2013:
Electric Supply
I stopped reading this when he said iphones were advanced to the phones of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
There is an easy fix for this issue, which is have a highly efficient car, instead of trying to convert highly inefficient gas cars into electric ones...like Tesla has done. Easy to create a good car that costs $100,000, particularly when you can spend $1 billion doing it.
Tesla makes their own cars...they do not convert gas cars. Isn't that the company you compare your car to? They are competing with BMW, Lexus, Benz, so on, as a rear wheel drive luxury vehicle. For what one gets buying a Tesla, it is a good/decent compared to the competition.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
Why does rear show up as purple in your post?

Old 08-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
Why does rear show up as purple in your post?
For some reason, you have a url that highlights rear (I had to go out of my way to highlight it)...
i.e.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-car-tipping-point-32476-2.html?highlight=rear
Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Beyond infrastructure, the problematic scenario is to offer a $40K electric version of a $25K gas car, which is worth $15K one year later while the gas car is still worth $20K.

The challenge to 'Detroit' as we know it is Silicon Valley. Tesla isn't going away, and Faraday and Apple and Uber are sitting on piles of cash.

Quote:
Well, which is progressing faster, gas\hybrid or battery technology?
Gas/hybrid has no headroom because the gas side is already highly evolved, and the electric side depends on .... battery technology.

Waiting for the nano-scale fractal quantum-dot metamaterial electrodes and solid state electrolytes. That oughta do it.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I saw Internet and I wondered who was convinced they needed that. Some prefer streaming music to listening to the radio.
Radio? Didn't that go away about the same time as the incandescent light bulb?

Don't most people put whatever music they want on to their device, be it stand-alone player, cell phone, or whatever, and just play it?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I just drive. No radio, no CD, no tapes, no device. Alone with my thoughts- terrible huh?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (10-18-2015), MobilOne (08-03-2015), The donkey CRX (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-03-2015), freebeard (08-07-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread