Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The Mercedes F1 engine runs at 50% thermal efficiency due to the electric turbo harvesting all of the available waste heat and gas velocity in the exhaust.
https://youtu.be/anLDCVD6v1s
Thanks for that, sendler. Really interesting.

Here is an overly complex setup that allows a very small engine for greater fuel economy: a small, light-weight car, with an engine that is smaller than 1.0L. It would use a combination of a BAS-type eAssist, an exhaust turbo, and a very small electric supercharger for low end torque in the turbo lag seconds. Set up with the ability to harvest heat and kinetic waste energy in a battery with a grid charging ability too... Seems likely to win a Rube Goldberg design award!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
A belt-attached electric assist would do everything an electric supercharger would do, only more efficiently. This is the principle behind nearly every hybrid.

And, it only really works in conjunction with downsizing an engine and regearing. So, not something you can really bolt onto an existing engine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (03-13-2018), Xist (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The Mercedes F1 engine runs at 50% thermal efficiency due to the electric turbo harvesting all of the available waste heat and gas velocity in the exhaust.
https://youtu.be/anLDCVD6v1s
While true (and indeed, Mercedes have a fantastic engine, with their innovative Hot-Vee electric turbo assist system), that's a $12 million dollar engine.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
The Mercedes F1 engine serves as an advanced proof of concept for an electricity harvesting turbocharger in a hybrid vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (08-05-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
A belt-attached electric assist would do everything an electric supercharger would do, only more efficiently. This is the principle behind nearly every hybrid. ...
I understand, but there is something the e-turbo or e-supercharger does that the eAssist does not: reduce pumping losses. So if the eAssist is more efficient than a small e-Supercharger (is it?), we could imagine making the eAssist a little more efficient with a properly sized and tuned e-Supercharger to reduce pumping losses. I know it is not practical for ecomodders because it is way beyond bolt-ons and such. This discussion is just about conceptualizing. And yeah, we would want to downsize the engine, as well as capture waste heat in the battery. I noted that above, too. I get your point.

Quote:
The Mercedes F1 engine serves as an advanced proof of concept for an electricity harvesting turbocharger in a hybrid vehicle.
Yeah, that's what I see too. Of course it is too expensive and complex for a Prius bolt-on. Greater range is more cheaply accomplished with a bigger battery. Greater power is more cheaply accomplished with a more powerful hybrid engine/motor or different tuning. But I like thinking about these combinations.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not certain I follow the logic with reduced pumping losses - you're pumping more air through the engine, not less, right? That energy is still coming from somewhere.

Quote:
Pumping loss in spark-ignition piston engines is the power required to perform their intake and exhaust pumping functions.
^ I mean, if you using grid power to run the supercharger, sure, the energy being used isn't coming from gasoline, but you could also just use that power to directly drive the wheels. The fewer steps between, the better. Ideally you'd have the electric assist after the transmission to reduce losses even further, but fabrication gets difficult. Maybe you could put a pullet on one of the CV axles?

What am I missing?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
... What am I missing?
I am assuming we are downsizing the ICE engine and want to get similar power out of the total set up. Pump losses are parasitic. It is the energy the engine uses trying to suck air past the throttle plate. The boost from a turbo or supercharger reduces that loss. Yes, it uses other energy to do that, but that energy comes from capturing waste energy in heat and braking (plus the grid, sure). I have no idea, really, if simply the eAssist is good enough, better, or equivalent to an eAssist + e-supercharger. I am wondering about it. We'd need to know how much power would be gained from the supercharger and how much power it would cost to run it. Maybe a simple eAssist is better.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm under the impression you'd get more power increase from an e-supercharger but in terms of total efficiency, it would be less than a straight e-assist.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I'm not certain I follow the logic with reduced pumping losses - you're pumping more air through the engine, not less, right? That energy is still coming from somewhere.
Exactly! With a turbocharger, the energy comes from exhaust heat. It's energy that would otherwise be lost out the tailpipe. With a supercharger, the energy comes from the engine, robbing power that would otherwise propel the car, and ultimately reducing fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic
The boost from a turbo or supercharger reduces that loss. Yes, it uses other energy to do that, but that energy comes from capturing waste energy in heat and braking...
NO! That's the fundamental difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger. The turbo uses energy from waste heat, the supercharger takes energy from the engine.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
NO! That's the fundamental difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger. The turbo uses energy from waste heat, the supercharger takes energy from the engine.
To be fair, there are still energy losses associated. Intercoolers exist for that reason. They add exhaust restriction and there's also added friction, but I imagine it to be a net gain.

Reply  Post New Thread