Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #81 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
IMHO VW will pull their diesels from the U.S. market which is too bad.
This would be a pointless move from a "sustainability" standpoint, but it's all about politics.
workaround ideas to discuss among friends: A personal reflection about the Volkswagen emissions scandal

Quote:
Keep in mind this is a company that brought to production a car that gets nearly 300 mpg on diesel but no one is talking about that now.
There are many other interests behind it. All that Dieselgate **** is a great smokescreen for the environmental harm of shale gas exploitation.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #82 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Given that they've been cheating, shouldn't we strike Team VAG from the top of the teams competition?
Nah. I'm pretty sure Team VAG is not the only team with illegally modded cars! Mwhahaha!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #83 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
IMHO VW will pull their diesels from the U.S. market which is too bad. It has happened before. To meet the current Tier 4 emissions standards they will lose some of the power and economy that we TDI fans have come to love. Many Eco-minded VW drivers already wish we could get some of their other products here like the three cylinder TDI Lupo that gets 70 mpg U.S.

I agree that this affects buyer perception. Keep in mind this is a company that brought to production a car that gets nearly 300 mpg on diesel but no one is talking about that now.
Emissions should never stand in the way of significantly higher fuel economy, especially as stationary and industrial applications can put out 100-1000x the pollution the little VW musters without any emissions requirements.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #84 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
It's all speculation still, but this Forbes article claims that VW TDI owners could lose $5000 per vehicle in resale value: The VW scandal could cost car owners $5,000 - Fortune
Our VW TDI sold last year for a whole $3500 with 122k on the clock and zero rust.

TDIs up here have never sold for much anyway, if anything dieselgate will improve resale here amoung rednecks because it sticks it to the man.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #85 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I wonder if this little trick was used in the Bugatti Veyron.
They are owned by VW after all.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Our VW TDI sold last year for a whole $3500 with 122k on the clock and zero rust.

TDIs up here have never sold for much anyway, if anything dieselgate will improve resale here amoung rednecks because it sticks it to the man.
What may help resale is the sudden price equality on diesel to unleaded at the pump. In California there never has been a big gap, but up here in the north diesel was consistently $.50-.75 a gallon more then unlead. Now it is actually a little less. That is why I got rid of my Duramax, the actual cost per mile was never as good as my previous gas trucks. I just wonder if this price equality is here to stay or temporary because of the poor economy.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #87 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #88 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Emissions should never stand in the way of significantly higher fuel economy, especially as stationary and industrial applications can put out 100-1000x the pollution the little VW musters without any emissions requirements.
Just the energy expense to refine more oil to supply the increased Diesel fuel consumption from the engines after the recall to make them fully emissions-compliant is already pointless on its own, and it's mostly sourced from dirtier resources, so any eventual cut on tailpipe emissions would become uneffective. And we're not even taking into account the emissions of the oil shipping from the Middle East to America. If there were real "environmental", "preservationist", or "sustainable" interests behind EPA regulations instead of some leftist interests, they would promote the usage of biodiesel or pure vegetable oils instead of *****ing about the TDI...
Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Volkswagen has deep pockets, rich friends and good lawyers.

There's no way they'll be spending the astronomical sums some are predicting. They will definitely lose one to three billion dollars or so, but they can take that hit and keep going.
G'ment (at least ours) can also take another approach if VW doesn't correct their flaws: get these cars off the street as they do not comply with emissions standards.

There's close to 200.000 cars affected in Belgium alone - about 1/25 of our car park !

Old 10-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Emissions should never stand in the way of significantly higher fuel economy
The NOx they're pumping out is far worse in the long run than the extra fuel they may use.

Reply  Post New Thread