Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Modern times...

I want to eat :

I don't want to eat :

I just want to eat :

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
So, is it like we see in USA movies ???
Your first mistake. Hollyweird has been purchased by China.

Quote:
People being beat for nothing by big guys... Big guys stealing the money of smaller guy had for pay the lunch... Big guys throwing smaller guy in large wastbasket ?
Was it a plot gimmick to set up the Action Hero to come in and open a can of Justice?

Quote:
It's really no surprise the school shootings happens often in USA But they should shoot just their "hangmans" and not everyone.
I forgot to respond to this part. School shooters are triggered derp state actors. What was the first modern shooting and it's cause? Columbine. Social media.

What was the last successful one? Parkland. Triggered by a shoot-out at the front gate of the NSA mere hours earlier. The available asset was in Broward County. A very sketchy County to say the least.

Shooters should be assigned a number and never named or shown in the media. The media are irresponsible at the task — their job.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I never know if you're being purposely deceptive, or simply enjoy being disagreeable. Walmart net sales in 2017 is 485.87B, Whole Foods is 16.03B. Over half of Walmart's revenue is groceries, or over 15x larger than Whole Foods.
How does this relate to what I said about self-selection between obese and non-obese Americans?

Quote:
Your argument that a foreigner's perception of US citizens being overweight due to selection bias is absurd.
We seem to be discussing two very different things. I've said nothing about foreigner's perceptions, but about what the producers of documentaries &c choose to put in them. You seem to be saying that all Americans are overweight - that it's a US weight problem - while I'm trying to say that it's very much a matter of individual lifestyle choices. It's not exclusively a US lifestyle choice, either: http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/two...ica-and-europe

Quote:
Also, if you were a lowlife scumbag, then being "hassled" by the cops is warranted. How many of those times were you falsely arrested with charges brought against you?
Unfortunately, in the eyes of many cops, being young, male, and poor is the definition of "lowlife scumbag". As for personal stats, arrested and jailed 3 times. 2 of them I managed to pay the extortion (AKA fine), one was dismissed at trial for lack of probable cause.

Quote:
Police aren't trained on legislating law, they are trained to enforce it.
Police are the ones who advocate most loudly for these laws, Further, that "just enforcing the law" defense really doesn't work that well. Can people who choose to work in a field that requires them to do unethical things be ethical people?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #144 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I once had the police follow me home from Church. After a couple of turns I stopped at a store and went in. Someone told me the police stereotype people who drive old Hondas. Mom insists my Civic is a "Drug dealer's car." I always ask why she knows drug dealers.

Many times the police have needed to pay settlements after wrongful arrest accusations were substantiated.

Black man was stopped ten times in his town, cited four times, then arrested for DUI, taken to the station, and the drug recognition expert says he should not have been arrested. Jessie Thorton sued for $500,000, but there are not any updates: https://www.abc15.com/news/region-we...irment-present

Hispanic woman in a small town adjacent to Phoenix had a Sheriff's deputy make a U-turn, follow her into her neighborhood, chase her into her backyard, tackle her in front of her son, and arrest her for disorderly conduct. The original charge was a burned-out license plate light. Elaine Sanchez and her attorneys won $30,000: Joe Arpaio Victim Scores $30K for False Arrest | Phoenix New Times

A man was stabbed in his apartment complex, but before he died a police officer asked him who stabbed him. "Frankie" [dies] Neighbors said that Frankie lived in A-11, so the police kicked down the door of A-11, and drew guns on Denny Joseph Rizzo Jr, the sole occupant of that apartment. He was arrested and jailed for seven and a half months before evidence against him was thrown out: Man's life changed forever after police arrest wrong-man - Story | KSAZ

Groups are made of individuals. Not all cops are good, nor are all of them bad. In theory, there are good politicians, too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I never know if you're being purposely deceptive, or simply enjoy being disagreeable.
Quote:
How does this relate to what I said about self-selection between obese and non-obese Americans?
If your trolling, it meaans you're good at what you do. It's a compliment.At least that's the way I'd take it.

Quote:
Mom insists my Civic is a "Drug dealer's car." I always ask why she knows drug dealers.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:30 AM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Many times the police have needed to pay settlements after wrongful arrest accusations were substantiated.!
The police - that is, the actual officers involved - rarely if ever have to pay a settlement for damages. It is the taxpayers who are stuck with paying such judgements. The worst that is likely to happen to the officers is that they're fired (and that's rare). More likely they're "punished" with a few weeks of paid vacation.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If your trolling, it meaans you're good at what you do. It's a compliment.At least that's the way I'd take it.
I don't know just what you mean by "trolling". I don't consider myself disagreeable, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to disagree with opinions that I think are wrong. If all some people want to see is a chorus of agreement with whatever they happen to write, perhaps they could insert a disclaimer to that effect, Then I could simply ignore them :-)

Old 05-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I don't know just what you mean by "trolling".
I know it can be cast in a good or bad light; I wasn't trying to imply bad intent.

Quote:
There are competing theories of where and when "troll" was first used in Internet slang, with numerous unattested accounts of BBS and UseNet origins in the early 1980s or before.
The Internet dictionary NetLingo suggests there are four grades of trolling: playtime trolling, tactical trolling, strategic trolling, and domination trolling.
The context of the quote cited in the Oxford English Dictionary[25] sets the origin in Usenet in the early 1990s as in the phrase "trolling for newbies", as used in alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[27][28] Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed repeatedly, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution.[27][29]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

I'm unable to keep other people's opinions sorted (Neil Blanchard and aerohead in agreement?) so I fall back on being snarky toward everyone.

Quote:
If all some people want to see is a chorus of agreement with whatever they happen to write, perhaps they could insert a disclaimer to that effect
All lies in jest.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All Darc — Jordan Sather is wise for his age:

Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #150 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post

We seem to be discussing two very different things. I've said nothing about foreigner's perceptions, but about what the producers of documentaries &c choose to put in them.
I think there is a bit of switch tracking going on here. From my understanding, Al Darc was talking about his perception of Americans being relatively healthy weight in the 70s, but being overweight now. His opinion seemed to be based on what he saw on TV.

You mentioned that fat people are more common in places like Walmart, and people at healthier weights are more common at Whole Foods, and suggested that self-selection can explain why people in the '70s looked thinner compared with today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounded like you are arguing that Americans in the 70s and Americans today are not much different in size; that it is a matter of perception and not reality that accounts for the difference.

Quote:
You seem to be saying that all Americans are overweight - that it's a US weight problem - while I'm trying to say that it's very much a matter of individual lifestyle choices.
As I said before, when I'm speaking in general, it means that what I'm saying generally holds true. The implication is that what I'm generally saying might not specifically hold true in every case. When I say that 75% of Americans are at least overweight, that implies that 25% are not. If you catch me using absolute terms, please point it out, as I try to use them very sparingly.

I made no comment about lifestyle choices.

Quote:
Police are the ones who advocate most loudly for these laws, Further, that "just enforcing the law" defense really doesn't work that well. Can people who choose to work in a field that requires them to do unethical things be ethical people?
Rarely do I hear of police picketing or advocating for certain laws to be passed. Far more common is to be approached by a student wanting a signature to endorse some nonsense proposed law.

It's absolutely impossible for law enforcement to function if they are expected to enforce only the laws they individually see as being valid. That is the definition of chaos. It would be like launching into battle with a plan, but every soldier making their own plan based on emotion. The whole thing is doomed to failure.

Most jobs require people to act in suboptimal ethical ways. Giving in to the minor disagreements is what keeps the whole thing functional and moving forward. It's only the big ethical issues that warrant defiance. Enforcement of drug laws is a minor ethical issue. It's not like people are born with illicit drugs, or have no way to avoid them, or require them to survive.

I agree that we don't handle drugs properly, but it certainly isn't the same ethical dilemma as sending Jews into a gas chamber.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-07-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Closed Thread  Post New Thread