Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #171 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

The 1976 model is apparently Sun Yellow [L-13K]. It looks very similar to Shantung Gold (Yellow) [L-12D].

My Superbeetle looks different depending on the lighting:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #172 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
I got that picture from the VW 70th anniversary press release from a few years ago. I've been sneaking those images in here or there, for my last few posts as I thought they added a small amount of justification to have a picture based VW topic, over all the silly chop job pictures that we had during the launch of this topic.

I really like this one as it screams the beetle's military history, while blending in the civilian people transporter aspect of the car.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-VWBeetle-70thAnniversary-12.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	21833  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #173 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I was searching for a build thread on the BGW sedan delivery as I am curious to see how much of the original bug you gotta cut up to install one of those kits. In my searching I found this link.

Verschillende_Vw-types_Coachbuilt_H-P.html
Old 05-23-2017, 01:52 AM   #174 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

1979 Dasher diesel. Technically the Audi 80, rebadged for VW as the B1 Passat, re-rebadged for the US market as the Dasher. 0-60 in 19 seconds (vs 13 seconds for the gas version )
This restyling had never been applied to the Brazilian versions of the B1 Passat. BTW I've never seen a 2-door factory-fitted with the Diesel engine, only the 4-door Passat LDE bound to regional exports.

The only fastback Karmann-Ghia I know is the TC

Quote:
That Gurgel is down in cRiPpLe_rOoStEr territory.
I haven't seen a X-15 in stock conditions for a long time, actually haven't seen any since 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingie View Post
someone should start making Kubelwagens with modern diesels and register them as ATV's
Having a handful of neighbors who are Holocaust survivors, I'd not feel so comfortable to roam around in a Nazi-looking ride, even though the Kubelwagen seems to be a quite good off-roader. I'd rather get something like that T3 Syncro that I spotted in 2012 while I was walking my dog (pictures taken by me and uploaded on the blog of a friend).

Some more T3 pictures, those were taken by a friend. This one with Canadian plates is a turbodiesel

Surprisingly, this one with Argie plates looks air-cooled...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
ChopStix (05-23-2017), freebeard (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 AM   #175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
This restyling had never been applied to the Brazilian versions of the B1 Passat. BTW I've never seen a 2-door factory-fitted with the Diesel engine, only the 4-door Passat LDE bound to regional exports.

A friend of mine from the local V-dub club (a mechanic with a machine shop) has a Vanagon Syncro. I pointed out a set of Mercedes-Benz 18" spoke wheels to him at the Bur-Run, he snagged them and they bolted right up. I'll see if he has a picture available.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #176 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A friend of mine from the local V-dub club (a mechanic with a machine shop) has a Vanagon Syncro. I pointed out a set of Mercedes-Benz 18" spoke wheels to him at the Bur-Run, he snagged them and they bolted right up.
I'd rather stick with 15" wheels and tyres with higher sidewalls.

Anyway, just to keep up the pics

Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #177 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I ordered a BGW install manual today. I have so many questions and can't find the answers online... when in doubt read the manual !!!

Its pretty cool to have guys on here from other countries. It brings a different perspective to these cars. Which is a nice thing.

I just noticed, these old BW pic's all have one common problem, none of them have side mirrors. I suppose they weren't required back then, and they were bad in war time.
I used to own a 65 Studebaker Commander that was never ordered with seat belts as they were an option in those days.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1008543.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	21835  

Last edited by ChopStix; 05-23-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #178 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I just noticed, these old BW pic's all have one common problem, none of them have side mirrors.
So what would that be directly above the front hubcap, but in front of the hood, and reflected off the fender?

Here's everything you need to know.

Cut it there and if you're over 6ft, you'll want a rounded cab back to get some
legroom.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #179 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

The truck picture had a mirror, but the previous BW one's didn't. Its no biggie, it was just an observation....

So on your picture, correct me if any of this is wrong:

The vertical metal is for the rear seat back to mount. The rear deck would be horizontal off the top of that vertical metal. So that leaves something like 3 feet from the vertical metal to the back door when the fiberglass shell is installed.
If 3 feet long by approximately 4 feet wide is correct for that engine cover area. Then that would be a pretty small storage area behind the rear seat. Though it is notably bigger than a regular bug.

Then I would guess that by utilizing the rear seat area for storage, it would be approximately 3 feet long by 4 feet wide, when measuring from that vertical metal going forward.

I'm trying to envision how much interior space I'm actually gaining by having the shell addition. It doesn't seen like its a noteworthy gain of usable space. Though it does make the bug look a lot more appealing.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #180 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do you see the round thing inside the rear quarter, just below the window in the door alongside? That is the stop for the seat back. There is a luggage well between the rear wheels.

I went out and measured:
  • 42" from B-pillar to B-pillar
  • 9" from B-pillar to driver seat-back
  • 25" from B-pillar to rear seat back
  • 4" from seat frame to luggage floor
  • 36" between wheelwells
  • 16" deep luggage well
With Type III engine cooling, one could cut out that firewall. Even use a Type III rear deck and engine hatch. The BGW van is the most aerodynamic. It adds a 3ft triangle of space. If space is a problem, cut the Beetle body long (and cut slits in the fiberglass's edge to re-contour that) and have a longer body for incrementally more work.

Most importantly you'd have opportunity to steal this air vent detail from the Citroen Tubik concept:

Reply  Post New Thread