Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wouldn't a change in injectors require a recalibration of the Mpguino? Doesn't it work of injector pulses and maybe your new injectors are providing more fuel than the previous were for the same pulse.

HWY 151's has quite the bottle neck at that stoplight. I'm coming in in the mornings.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
I see what you're saying about the MPGuino needing recalibrating. It may well need to be fine-tuned, but it needed fine tuning with the old injectors. One of these days, I am going to incorporate that into MPGuino.

The fuel tank level is tracking the MPGuino as it normally has. The tank was a bit less than full when I installed the new injectors, the trip odometer had about 230 miles at that time, and I have placed about 145 miles since I installed the new injectors. I expect that the Karen-Mobile will finally ding at me later on today, to tell me she needs gas. I'll crunch the tank trip numbers and see how this tankful performed.

Are you talking about the Stoney Pt. light? Or the Wiley one?
Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Stoney Pt. and it's going to get worst as they add all those new houses Fairfax is planning.

I've spotted your Dakota a few times on 151 and Wilson SW near my office.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Well, I crunched the numbers, and the preliminary results are in. Google Maps tells me I traveled about 166.1 miles between the time I installed the new injectors and the time today that I filled up. As I traveled a total of 401.7 miles on this tank, that means that I traveled 235.6 miles on the old injectors.

This tankful appears to be similar to the last tankful, in that the average tank trip speed are about the same, and the A/C usage is also about the same (typically, no A/C going into work, but A/C coming home). Monday was kind of an exception due to the rather interesting thunderstorm on the way home, but that's not going to affect things all that much. The last tank trip saw me get 24.3 MPG, compared to MPGuino reporting 23.8 MPG. This tank trip saw me get an astounding 26.4 MPG, while MPGuino reported 24.8 MPG.

Now, this tank saw a fillup of 15.227 gallons. Assuming that I still got an average 24.3 on the 235 miles I traveled, that means that I burned about 9.6 gallons before I installed the new injectors. That tracks well with my fuel needle being at 3/8 at the time I installed the new injectors.

I can make an educated guess, then, that I used 5.6 gallons to travel the remaining 166 miles. That translates to a fuel economy of 29.6 MPG, which seems a bit optimistic. That's about a 20% improvement in fuel economy between the old injectors and the new injectors, and is a real head scratcher. I can believe a 10% improvement (that's what the Durango got), but 20% seems a bit high. Then again, MPGuino did report current trip fuel economy figures that were a lot closer to 29.6 MPG after the new injectors were installed.

I'm going to have to track a full tank of fuel on this one. If I manage to get close to 450 miles before the Karen-Mobile dings on me, then I'll be onto something.

I'm going to have to get that MPGuino fuel calibration function working, too.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pretty impressive, spotted a nice looking white magnum with tinted windows on the way to K&G to on SW side just after 5 last night, was that Karen-Mobile. Only other magnum I used to see regularly was the green one in Walford but haven't seen it for a while.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I am very interested in this, i currently have 4 hole injectors and average around 26.5mpg. Even at 10% improvement and $140 investment, these injectors would have a 6 month roi.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Tvago could you do a flow test on the injectors?

I am curious as to why there was such a massive fuel economy hit.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post

The improvement is due to tooling and has occurred steadily between 1990 and 2015+.

What has happened is that the companies have been able to machine to ever increasing tolerances meaning that the sprays have continued to get finer.

In an internal-combustion-engine, it's the vapour around the droplets that explodes. The droplets themselves just hit the combustion chamber walls and are used for cooling.

Recently, Direct-Injection has taken over port injection. These injectors are even finer.

The general assumption is that 'nothing has changed' with Injectors over the last 20 years but actually these continual tooling improvements really have changed fuel-injectors dramatically. It also explains why modern cars are getting so much power than before because the injectors are working better.
future - probably a Prius
The Following User Says Thank You to ar5boosted For This Useful Post:
t vago (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Pretty impressive, spotted a nice looking white magnum with tinted windows on the way to K&G to on SW side just after 5 last night, was that Karen-Mobile. Only other magnum I used to see regularly was the green one in Walford but haven't seen it for a while.
Nope, that's not me. The Karen-Mobile is dark grey with home-made aero wheel covers, one of them brown. Until earlier this year, she also had a white passenger front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I am very interested in this, i currently have 4 hole injectors and average around 26.5mpg. Even at 10% improvement and $140 investment, these injectors would have a 6 month roi.
Unfortunately, the only 12-hole injectors I have found are rated at either 22 lb/hr (0280156336) or 24 lb/hr (0280156161), and they only have the EV4 wiring connector on them. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post

I am not sure what flow testing the old injectors will do, other than to lighten my wallet. I do know they were unevenly flowing, and that will cause fuel economy problems by itself. I could tell because the Karen-Mobile used to have a noticeable rhythmic un-evenness when I would perform moderate acceleration. She accelerates very smoothly now.

This morning saw 27.9 MPG. Still going strong, it looks like.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
ar5boosted, if that were the case, then then his exhaust must have been smelling of raw fuel. Or are you saying that it combusts later without providing useful work just heating the exhaust.

Reply  Post New Thread