Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

What about a Thailand dragster ?

A challenge for electgric conversion with solar cells...

Ok, flexible solar cells are lightweight. It's much better than try rigid silicon cells that require a heavy glass to protect agains impacts like from ice rain.
This solar airplane used the cells as part of structure to ave weigh, like the cells was filling holes of a rigid net structure.

The most efficient "car" (vehicle), would be Ecorunner VI, with less than 0,005 drag and smalll size and lightweight, but just for a a single person, in liying position.

When automate computer driving became reality, and got much safer than today, this vehicle could be used to transport kids to school. It would require JGS and chip for track the vehicle and the kid, just as extra security standarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
As would I. Things being the way they are, I'm going to buy my way in.

The electric part will be all sorted. Maybe the power will come from a micro-hydro gravity vortex (turbulent.be).

With dropping prices and Peskovite thin film cells, eventually the carport and the car can be covered in solar 'cells'. Ultimately the window areas of the vehicle will convert the non-visible spectrum to power.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Meanwhile we need all cars and trucks to be under 2000lbs to meet efficiency standards
It's not going to happen, unless every soccer-mom gives her Suburban away to pick a forward-control minivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think I'd rather see cars made from more wood than carbon fiber.
Not just wood, I'm also favorable to the usage of vegetable fibers instead of fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Quote:
I think it's completely within the scope of existing technology to engineer wooden structural chassis members that can contribute to predictable crash force dissipation.
I'm just not sure if crash force dissipation would be so predictable at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Bambu it's a super wood, in ecologic terms. It grows super fast, grown super together (close each other) and it's very strong, much better than plywood.
Bamboo might be a cost-effective option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sunshine in Brazil is probably more reliable than most places in the US.
At least in the Northeast it is.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, some states on Brazil have the solar incidence and sollar intensity similar to the bests on Earth. But it's also the poor states of Brazil. Here south and north are like the reverse of USA. Our north had most slavery use, while USA's south had instenser slavery.
Brazil have high social contrast.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, some states on Brazil have the solar incidence and sollar intensity similar to the bests on Earth. But it's also the poor states of Brazil. Here south and north are like the reverse of USA. Our north had most slavery use, while USA's south had instenser slavery.
Brazil have high social contrast.
Solar energy would've been better to overcome the limitations to implement large-scale hydroelectric power in much of NE. Well, besides the CHESF-owned Paulo Afonso hydroelectric complex, I can't remind of any major hydroelectric in that region. When it comes to slavery, considering the Northeast and Southeast were more intensely colonized earlier than the South, it's quite predictable that slavery was more visible there. But it doesn't really matter now.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Most of brazilian solar planst are in the northeast, but wind turbines power it's also a good alternative in many places.

Sorry, I disagree a bit, but slavery left scars in the local culture of northeast. People in northeast are more racist, and the education level it's low, criminal rates are higher there, and domestic violence, prejudice, sexism and corruption too.
I have relatives from there, I know how they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Solar energy would've been better to overcome the limitations to implement large-scale hydroelectric power in much of NE. Well, besides the CHESF-owned Paulo Afonso hydroelectric complex, I can't remind of any major hydroelectric in that region. When it comes to slavery, considering the Northeast and Southeast were more intensely colonized earlier than the South, it's quite predictable that slavery was more visible there. But it doesn't really matter now.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-21-2018 at 11:58 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I to disagree a bit, but slavery left scars in the local culture of northeast.
You don't go far enough. Slavery held all humanity in bondage (where we go one, we go all) until the Enlightenment and the steam engine. Once that practice was broken (thank the English in 1833 and the United States in 1863) progress turned into a literal skyrocket. Except in places where politics aren't separated from religion, and slavery persists.

The Greeks had slaves. The American Indians had slaves.There's as much a slavery today as ever in absolute terms, there're just vastly more people overall.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Slavery didn't only harmed black people, it also "dehumanized" white people, creating hate, loss of empathy, ad this would affect people around and not only blacks. People who get used to oppress and torture others would became also bad husbands and bad fathers.
It's more complex than appeares.

I'm not rasing flags of victimism. I'm not even black. I know some things are victmism today. But some facts are true and can't be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You don't go far enough. Slavery held all humanity in bondage (where we go one, we go all) until the Enlightenment and the steam engine. Once that practice was broken (thank the English in 1833 and the United States in 1863) progress turned into a literal skyrocket. Except in places where politics aren't separated from religion, and slavery persists.

The Greeks had slaves. The American Indians had slaves.There's as much a slavery today as ever in absolute terms, there're just vastly more people overall.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-22-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #58 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Great thread. Beware cheap or DIY carbon fiber made without an autoclav!... That bike fork broke easier than most would normally anticipate.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

I was fast reading at web, and unless I took the texts wrong, there is today some kinds of sheet fabrics of carbon fiber specially made for non autoclave purposes. Some still require ovens, but not high pressure, and other types claims that don't even needs a oven.
Maybe it's still inferior to autoclaved CF (my bet it is), but perhaps not so bad as typical CF sheet fabrics shaped in home without even a oven.

Maybe the future of carbon fiber is also about create better resins, and not just reasearch for the carbon filaments itself. If the carbon filament of the fabric sheet it's still very flexible even after autoclave treatment, it's a matter of resin quality.
Resin need to be strong to keep carbon filaments together, and the carbon filaments are strong. The combination of strong filaments and rigid resins gave carbon fiber pieces the qualities we know.

Also fiber directions and interlace in layers and shapes with some formes in strategic places to give sheets more rigid behavior.
It's not simple as pour liquid lead in a mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Great thread. Beware cheap or DIY carbon fiber made without an autoclav!... That bike fork broke easier than most would normally anticipate.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-22-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the future of carbon fiber is also about create better resins, and not just reasearch for the carbon filaments itself.
I think that is the area of most interest to me. I've seen somewhere CF or fiberglass mat cloth that can form around an existing part or be put in a female mold, the cloth curing is then activated by UV rays.

Cloth with just enough epoxy on it, activated by UV rays, heat, pressure, oxygen or lack of oxygen would simplify the fabrication process.

On another note I mentioned steel not going away without a fight and aluminum here to stay. I found an example of that, a paint-less example, saving time, weight, and perhaps cost.

Aluminum........................
Lotus Lightweight Structures - Microcab Chassis
http://www.lotuscars.com/lightweight...crocab-chassis
Quote:
As the Customer had no paint plant the anodised finish on the frame was specified as the final finish and we know that this provides many years durability, with products on the road for twenty years with no adverse corrosion effects.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-22-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread