Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got a Focus and WOW !!!

Well, thanks to the positive input from you guys, I bought a Ford Focus. It's a 2007 3-door SES model, automatic, with all the creature comforts. I was expecting, or at least hoping for, gas mileage in the mid 30's. I've only had the car a couple of weeks and so far my highway mileage has been 40.9 and yesterday; 41.7 mpg. Highway speed was at 60 mph.

At this point I haven't yet made any areo mods like an air dam or tire spats, but these will be added. What I have done is adjust the nut behind the wheel (60mph on the highway), add a can of Lubro Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment to the oil (synthetic), add 3 ounces of Xylene to 10 gal. of gas and add 4 psi over the door sticker to the tires. The MOS2 does make the engine run smoother and feel peppier and the Xylene offsets the negative mileage effects of the Ethanol in the gas. I knew that both of these products work as I have been using them in my '96 Chevy Blazer that gets 29.9 on the highway (EPA rated at 21).

So, the question is .. am I happy with the Focus .. I sure am. At this point I'm optimistic that I might eventually hit 45 highway mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Congratulations on your Automotive Lottery "WIN" (ha,ha).

We briefly had a 2003 ZX5-automatic which got decent highway milage, although its city milage wasn't anything to crow about.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Good find! The Focus is on my short list for a new(er) car and it's great to hear a 40+ report.

Please report back with successive tanks and the results of the mods.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wish I could get close to that! I can't get above 29 so far in my 06 ZX3 5spd.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't been filling up the tank lately so I've been going by the UltraGauge for my mileage. I did do a trip on the highway recently and mileage indicated for the trip was 42.7. In town driving has been consistent at 29 - 31 mpg. Based on the gallons used and the miles driven, these readings are almost spot-on. At this point I have not done any aero mods yet. I am adding 3 oz. of xylene to 10 gallons of gas to cancel the negative mpg effects of the ethanol in the gas. This increased the mileage in my Blazer and it also works in the Focus. Tire pressure has been increased 4 psi over the sticker. Recently I read a very interesting post on a Ford Focus forum regarding the spark plugs to use for economy or power. I have taken their advise for economy and have changed plugs accordingly. So far mileage has increased 1 mpg and I'm hoping to see more of an increase as time goes by. I've also adjusted the nut behind the wheel and that has also made a positive improvement in gas mileage. I'll start filling up the tank again to get more accurate mileage results although past experience has shown that the UltraGauge is only a tenth or two off of the true mileage. One of these days I'll try calibrating it to get it right on. In the spring I'll put on some aero mods and maybe get another boost in mpg.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I just bought an '05 Focus ST. Yeah it has the "big" 2.3 engine and good suspension, really torquey motor. Still working on the first tank.

Blazr, What is the spark plug mod you are talking about?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

beatr911 .. The spark plug info I used was posted on the Focus Fanatics site. You can find the info here .. The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky - Focus Fanatics. If, for some reason you can't bring up the post put this into the Search box .. The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky. A list will come up; click on the first item on the list. I went with the suggestions for economy and they seem to work.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Blazr,
Wow what a great find.
Isn't it fun to get great mpg and not have to strip the car to bare metal!!!!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mcrews,

The thing that surprised me the most was how relatively easy it is to get better than EPA mileage. Do a few simple things and you get better mileage. It's too bad more people haven't figured this out yet. Haven't striped a pound off either car and don't intend to.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Read the sparkplug thread. Seems that fancy plantinum and iridium don't actually work as well as good ol copper. The benefit is only longer life.

Thanks! I learned something new. So the deal for the Focus is to use the cheap Autolite 103s, gap to .055" and change them every 15K miles. Easy peasy to change so it shouldn't be a problem. Great find!

My first tank with the ST was a dismal 29. This with a horribly out of alignment suspension, nearly plugged air filter, and some other driveability issues. The best is yet to come!

Question on fuel cut. I don't get decel fuel cut unless the engine gets above like 3000 rpm first, then it will cut to about 1300 or so. Is this normal? Seems it should initiate cut well below 3k.
I also have neutral coasting rpm at like 1900rpm. I have to coast really fast to get the scangauge above 100mpg.