Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Green Machine - '95 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer

Smile Hello from PA

Hey Everyone! I thought id say hello. My name is Mitch, I come from Southeast Pennsylvania and I drive a 1995 Ford Bronco 302. Not the most fuel efficient or aerodynamic car, but I have a thing for old school trucks, and it was my first vehicle so it holds some sentimental value. I'm building a new motor to maximize fuel efficiency (20mpg goal) and when I discovered this forum I figured id make an account. Plus I like learning new things and it never hurts to network.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 18.08 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.51 mpg (US)
Welcome and I hope you can have fun with your build.

If you have any downhill driving, throw it in neutral with engine running if you feel it is safe to do so, also check out the 65+ or the 100+ tips, lots of info

Check out Arrowhead or slowmover, both are trucks with significantly better mileage

Lots of inspiration here

Also, make 4 more small posts and you can post pics so we can encourage and suggest ideas

Staying Focus'd on MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ECO-AKJ For This Useful Post:
mmartin762 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. You don't have the best vehicle for top mpgs, but you certainly can increase it from what you have. If you're rebuilding you have a lot of options. Good luck and post a build thread on the Bronco so you can get some ideas from others.
mmartin762 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome! Is a 1995 Bronco OBD1 or OBD2? If the latter, you can get a scangauge or ultragauge for it. Maybe you new engine could be newer? That would guarantee OBD2 I bet.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

The ScanGauge literature doesn't list the '95 Bronco, but who knows: https://www.scangauge.com/support/co...compatibility/

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Howdy neighbor, I'm in Media PA.
Will the new motor be a rebuild of the original or a newer more efficient injected one? Does the Bronco have an auto or stick and is it an overdrive unit? If not swapping to an OD trans will help to move you to your target.
One of my rides is an '05 Ford Excursion V-10 4X4, it's modded some to improve it's towing abilities as it serves as our dedicated tow rig for an 11,000lb travel trailer. But in it's original factory stock configuration I have gotten 15.5MPG on a mixed highway / coastal Maine town trip with 6 adults onboard, not bad for a giant 8,000lb wagon, your goal should be attainable.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Most of the full-size Broncos from '80 to '96 that I've seen were fitted with the 300cu.in. inline-6 and a manual transmission, and most likely to be assembled in Venezuela. Without extensive mods to enhance its off-road capabilities and driven conservatively, 20MPG wouldn't seem unachievable.

Anyway, do you know the differential ratio currently fitted to your ride? And would you eventually be comfortable to try a higher ratio even if that could lead to a compromise of its towing capability?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Okay so to answer the questions:
"Will the new motor be a rebuild of the original or a newer more efficient injected one? Does the Bronco have an auto or stick and is it an overdrive unit? If not swapping to an OD trans will help to move you to your target."
It is currently a sequential port fuel injected. my transmission is the E4OD, 4 speed overdrive electronic lockup T/C.
It has 3.55:1 gears, and despite my friends attempts to get me to "go to 4.10s bruh!" im not going to because fuel efficiency. Im going to swap in some 4 hole injectors for better fuel atomization. It is lifted, but the tire size is stock, more or less (switched to metric tires, there's always a minute difference)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

QUESTION:
Im looking into getting some better flowing heads (GT40) from a cobra mustang.
these are usually used for power gains.
matched with a fuel efficient cam and roller lifters/rockers, mild injectors, could I harness the better flowing capabilities without the atrocious fuel economy usually attributed to 5.0 mustangs and the usual "racecar" mods. everyone knows an engine is essentially an air pump, and the easier it can flow the better. I already have some headers and a mandrel bent exhaust.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ANOTHER QUESTION: I should preface this by saying i am 21 years old.
Everyone I know says cold air intakes are the way to go. "cold air intake bro!" "power and efficiency bro" you know.
But ive been studying automotive technology and in my spare time i watch YouTube and have seen several videos proving that stock intakes that draw air from inside the engine bay work better. I mean, think about it, its gotta be engineered by someone with a doctorate. besides, we all know that fuel atomizes better in warmer air, and im pretty sure the S-10 where i go to school has a pipe from the air cleaner that goes down to a shroud to the exhaust manifold. therefore, is a heated air intake a thing? is it better? oh man i need some ideas.

Reply  Post New Thread