Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #91 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
I went back 3 pages but still didn't see the topic of conversation.

The worst hx I've ever had, had the original s40 long gear with an aftermarket store brand clutch and flywheel. I would have to red line the car just to keep up with traffic merging into the freeway
Having to get up to 105mph to enter the freeway is criminal, leave it to Texas to mess up stuff.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #92 (permalink)
lead foot

OK, I have been back to this thread a million times for the charts, may as well post my set up here. I have an 01 insight 5 speed. apparently the FD is swappable with the 01-05 D17 gear boxes. I want to swap the D17 with HX trans and Insight 3.2 FD. Engine will be turbocharged and I estimate a 200whp output. Turbo is Garrett GT2554r. Tires 175/50/16 HP summer Yokohama. I will have plenty of power but I also want to hypermile the car on my commute. At 2350 rpm I will be at 70mph. My only question is will the RPM be too low for cruising and light acceleration. Car will weigh less than 1900lbs If this works out well I might try a D15 de-stroker.

Last edited by BongoBennie; 05-30-2017 at 07:12 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BongoBennie For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #93 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
OK, I have been back to this thread a million times for the charts, may as well post my set up here. I have an 01 insight 5 speed. apparently the FD is swappable with the 01-05 D17 gear boxes. I want to swap the D17 with HX trans and Insight 3.2 FD. Engine will be turbocharged and I estimate a 200whp output. Turbo is Garrett GT2554r. Tires 175/50/16 HP summer Yokohama. I will have plenty of power but I also want to hypermile the car on my commute. At 2350 rpm I will be at 70mph. My only question is will the RPM be too low for cruising and light acceleration. Car will weigh less than 1900lbs If this works out well I might try a D15 de-stroker.
I think the answer to your question is "no." Even though it is a turbo charged engine 2350 rpm and light acceleration or cruise should never present a lugging problem. My car is of course NA and does not lug at 1500 and 80% engine load. A turbo might be different. I am assuming your are wondering about lugging. I would wonder about WOT at 2300 rpm when you have a 200hp turbo set up under the hood. Maybe that comes closer to lugging. I still kinda doubt it.

Do I understand your post correctly? You will have an Insight engine with turbo and a D17 HX trans with the Insight FD swapped in? You get that lovely light weight because you took the IMA batter out?

Great power/weight ratio. Nice sleeper. If this is an Insight body, you are going to surprise a few people at the stop lights. The bigger wheels would make me "suspicious," but most would not notice, I bet.

BTW, does this car have a build thread somewhere? How do you know the FD swaps? Post some pics, eh?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #94 (permalink)
lead foot

OK, let me clear things up. I have been on this forum asking about things before but I have two cars. I have a build thread on #1 going and Im pretty bad at it. The thread is about building the ultimate commuter and #1 was supposed to be boosted. Im carrying that over to #2

https://honda-tech.com/forums/insigh...muter-3290050/

#2 Is what this post is about, Im contemplating on using a D17 Engine from 05 Civic with Kpro, 05 HX transmission with the FD gears out of the Insight 5 speed in which I already own that part.

Here is a thread that describes the opposite, using civic FD in the insight. In the end of the thread, I asked these questions when I was motor shopping for #1 Short Gear Ratio / LSD 5 speed - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

I entered the Stock Civic HX next to Insight with smaller tires and 3.208 FD (I would like to go with a taller tire as well but these are the tires I have at the moment). The difference in RPM at the same speed isn't that great and there is a 700 pound weight drop, along with the turbo this to me is a workable set up. I just wanted to run it by this crowd.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.15.17 PM.png
Views:	584
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	21879  
California98Civic (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

That is a good thread at honda-tech, Bongo. Thanks for sharing, and for the remarkable info about the swappability of the first gen insight FD with the seventh gen Civics. Most interesting part there would be how the Insight FD is slightly taller than the famed VX/CX FD was in the fifth gen civics. Way taller gearing for an seventh gen HX civic is obviously possible. I wonder too, then, if the early Civic hybrid FD is swappable (2003-2005 were MT). Keep us updated! Way cool.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-31-2017 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: spelling of "there" ... and I like "swappable" too much to change it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 AM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello guys,

I hope that you will be able to help me, I'm getting crazy of the differences between names of the civic's and part numbers between USA and Europe...

I'm the owner of Civic Coupe VII gen (called in Europe EM2 or sometime ES).
Like this one:

With Engine D17A9, and here are the problems stars. In States there is no such engine, am I right? My one is the Vtec: 125 PS (92 kW; 123 hp) at 6,300 rpm

And the thing is to change gear ration of the 5th gear, the highway speed allowed in Poland is 140km/h (about 87mph) and the revs are getting me crazy!

Can you help me what do I need to buy and exactly from what car/model/year/engine or the parts numbers (maybe the one from Europe?) Is it going to fit from all D series (D17/16 etc?)? to make the revs lower?

If there will be need more information just let me know I'll try to give you the answers. Also If there will be better/cheaper to buy parts in states It's also posiible, my co-workers are visiting states often so they will probably will be able to buy me what I need.

Thanks guys and waiting for answer

Marcin
Old 07-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #97 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
Hello guys,...
Thanks guys and waiting for answer

Marcin
Hi. So you're not in the us so I'm not absolutely sure but all d series engines are really really similar. That's true even when the displacement is increased, as it was between the 5th generation the 6th generation and the 7th generation. A variety of small things change however and I don't know if they changed in the same ways in Europe as they do in the united States.

So if you had a us domestic model, would you be looking for since you seem to only want to reduce highway rpm's is the 5th gear from almost any civic besides the ex or the type r. In the 7th gen, the HX and the base civic had very similar 5th years: 0.710 and 0.711. Both of those ar possibly 6% taller than you fifth gear, maybe even taller than that. It's a bit of a job because it means removing the transmission opening the casing and switching out the gear. I've never done this job but I've read from guys have been told directly that a lot of this equipment is interchangeable within the transmissions. Someday I'll experiment myself.

A second way for you to get your freeway rpms down is to enlarge in the overall tire/wheel size combination that you're running. A bigger tire wheel combination will in effect give you taller gearing will bring your rpms down on the freeway and everywhere else. So a minimum 10 percent rpm reduction should be achievable for you.

I hope that helps.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

In Europe we had two D17a Engines in VIIgen as I know. It is D17a8 (nonvtec) with about 118hp and D17a9 (vtec) with something about 125hp and rarely D17a2, its also a vtec engine but Don't know to much.

we had also a D engine series in VI gen civic's but I asked one guy in here and he told me that the gears are not going to fit, he never try but for him it's not going to fit. What do you think?

I was looking for some store with Honda parts in USA, as mu buddy is going to states 17th of July and he might bring me the gears

I need some 100% sure store where I can order the parts and I need specific part numbers to order.

One guy in Poland bought this:

gearspeedwholesale.com/product_p/oegs-lx5gs.htm

it's quite expensive but it fits! and its ratio 0.71 or 0.710

And my question is is there a cheaper solution?
OEM parts?
other store?
Can you recommend me store with fast delivery, I will need to order the parts to the hotel wher my buddy will stay.

I have found on other forum also something like this:

23461-PLW-C00
23581-PLW-C00

But nobody mention nothing about ger ratio on this parts and ai can't find that information nowhere.

But I cant find info

are there any manuals where I can find gear ratios and some information about dimensions of shafts etc. for European engines?

thanks in advance!
Marcin
Old 07-06-2017, 02:02 AM   #99 (permalink)
lead foot

Since this is an ECO off road idea and a D series trans maybe this thread can help me identify this trans. Its a 2001-2005 style AWD Civic 5 speed from Japan that comes with a D15 ( I think), Perfect for my offload Insight. I see them from time to time on eBay and they are always cheap ($250 usually) but the sellers never can answer my questions which are gear ratios? Will the CRV style rear diff work out? Is it rebuildable in USDM world? Lastly is there any seller in the western states that you recommend I contact for one?

D17a 5 speed manual transmission AWD | eBay
Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #100 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
Can you recommend me store with fast delivery, I will need to order the parts to the hotel wher my buddy will stay. ...
are there any manuals where I can find gear ratios and some information about dimensions of shafts etc. for European engines?

thanks in advance!
Marcin
I have to answer quick because I am about to leave for work.

1) for stores: Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store and https://www.hondapartsnow.com/

2) Honda FSMs for these older cars can often be found online for free. I have a pile of them in PDF form.

3) A cheaper option would be to buy a used 7th Gen Civic transmission with the taller 5th gear and either swap the whole thing or part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
... a 2001-2005 style AWD Civic 5 speed from Japan that comes with a D15 ( I think), Perfect for my offload Insight. I see them from time to time on eBay and they are always cheap ($250 usually) but the sellers never can answer my questions which are gear ratios? Will the CRV style rear diff work out? Is it rebuildable in USDM world? Lastly is there any seller in the western states that you recommend I contact for one?
This is a tougher one and a bit beyond my personal experience... too little time right now... I gotta run to work, but have you asked the sellers for codes from the transmission bell housing? If you can get codes you might get somewhere. Otherwise, the best technique will always be laying your hands on an example and counting flywheel rotations and gear teeth!

Maybe there are others reading this thread who can help more. gotta go!...

Reply  Post New Thread