Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #161 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Thanks Funkhoss, your numbers speak for themselves. Conservative driving with engine-off coasting can go a very long way, and anything to keep RPM down, vaccum low and load high is going to improve efficiency.
Well I will certainly check out his modifications. Something is wrong with my set-up.

Quote:
Anyway, the stock tires on your car have a circumference of 82.2 inches. A hypothetical hub motor that tops out at 500rpm at 24v will move your car along at 39mph, but will have a top speed of 78mph at 48v and 156mph at 96v. Electric motors play by different rules than gas engines do.
The question then becomes, how to have the electric motor kick on when my gasoline engine needs the power.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #162 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix'97 View Post
So are you still using the stock B-Body camshaft? I have been posting in other forums trying to figure out the best set-up for my F-body LT1 which gives me the additional low end torque I seek while also giving me more seat-of-the-pants feel that I have been desiring, which is why I have been so adamant about the TPI intake. I don't drive beyond 5000 RPM when I have my fun so I figured the TPI intake was a perfect fit.

How the heck are you achieving 46 mpg on a 4.11 gear ratio?! Even when my car was in the best of shape I never could achieve that kind of mileage, and I have tried everything from detuning and experimenting with sucking in hot engine bay air to try to improve my mileage. How?!
An engine kill switch, pulse and glide, and low top speeds. Conserving momentum?

There's a member on here who had a greater than 55mpg tank out of (if I remember correctly) an F250, or maybe it was a Ram 2500.

It's possible to get amazing numbers if you're willing to adapt your driving, but the moment you get on the gas, your economy will plummet.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #163 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
The question then becomes, how to have the electric motor kick on when my gasoline engine needs the power.
I can think of a few ways. The most simple in principle would be to have a second "pedal" behind your gas pedal, so when it gets past a certain point, you start pressing the electric motor's throttle too.

Another method would be to tie motor throttle to manifold vacuum, so that the less vacuum you have, the more assist you get, and you get regen when vaccum is really high. Or, maybe you can tie it to throttle position sensor.

A really good system would probably take all of these factors and more into account (e.g. vehicle speed), and have some formula to derive how much assist you should get.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Phoenix'97 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #164 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
So are you still using the stock B-Body camshaft?
Yes. It really does perform extremely well at low RPM. I could drive all day at 45 MPH and just under 800 RPMs at that speed (with my really high gearing). You'd be hard pressed to find a better low RPM camshaft for the LT1.

Except for tuning, and removing unnecessary accessories (power steering, A/C), my engine is completely stock.

Quote:
How the heck are you achieving 46 mpg on a 4.11 gear ratio?!
To clarify: I can achieve 46 MPG with my lightweight 2.14 ratio rear end. I've only done about 42 MPG so far with the 4.10 14-bolt axle.

And I think the difference there has more to do with the additional weight and parasitic loss, than with the difference in gearing, per se. I can achieve 46 MPG with the 2.14 axle even if I never go above 3rd gear.

Quote:
How?!
The point is that the biggest gains can be made with highly refined driving technique--especially P&G with EOC.

-Funkhoss

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkhoss For This Useful Post:
oil pan 4 (01-09-2018), Phoenix'97 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #165 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I can think of a few ways. The most simple in principle would be to have a second "pedal" behind your gas pedal, so when it gets past a certain point, you start pressing the electric motor's throttle too.

Another method would be to tie motor throttle to manifold vacuum, so that the less vacuum you have, the more assist you get, and you get regen when vaccum is really high. Or, maybe you can tie it to throttle position sensor.

A really good system would probably take all of these factors and more into account (e.g. vehicle speed), and have some formula to derive how much assist you should get.
Boy do I have a plethora of things to look into. I won't dismiss the hybrid technology but yeah, if it won't work the way I was hoping then that part I have to dismiss and admit I was wrong about it.

I won't go too crazy with this car.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #166 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post
Yes. It really does perform extremely well at low RPM. I could drive all day at 45 MPH and just under 800 RPMs at that speed (with my really high gearing). You'd be hard pressed to find a better low RPM camshaft for the LT1.
Wow, because I was looking into getting the stock B-Body camshaft for my engine, and hoping that the TPI intake would give me that jolt of torque when I decided to let loose and have my fun with the car.

My motor is stock, I haven't done any ultra modifications to remove parasitic loss, and frankly I am nervous to. I am just focusing on what I can do to improve mileage without going to extremes, especially full blown aerodynamic modifications.

Thank you for chiming in!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
¿How?
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mpg-33961.html
Quote:
Now for the most important part...the mods. I've included both a "Cliffs Notes" summary, as well as a more detailed description, below. More pics are available here: Caprice Wagon - Album on Imgur
He gave you the link. And you thanked him.

Quote:
I have been posting in other forums trying to figure out the best set-up for my F-body LT1 which gives me the additional low end torque I seek while also giving me more seat-of-the-pants feel that I have been desiring...
Anti-reversionary headers. Duh.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #168 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Anti-reversionary headers. Duh.
What kind of headers of these? I currently have aftermarket shorties on my engine, although I am not sure if my stock exhaust manifold was actually better...
Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #169 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I haven't looked much into the aftermarket, but a quick google search revealed this:

Vehicle Platforms | XLHybrids

Looks like it goes in-line with the driveshaft, but I can't tell if it has an internal clutch. If we assume it does, then the engine can be disengaged and you can creep along in stop and go traffic using zero gasoline (no fumes) and without any clutch wear or hitting your bearings over and over. When you pull away from a stoplight or are going up an on-ramp, the electric motor bump starts the gas engine (no starter, saves weight and is one less part to fail) and gives an extra 220ft-lbs of torque (from zero RPM) on top of what your engine produces to accelerate. When you get up to speed, you can either run on gas alone, or electric alone, or use both together when you want to pass. You can use the electric motor to brake the car, which prolongs brake pad life and puts your kinetic energy back into the battery, to be used to accelerate again later with zero fuel used. You can get rid of your alternator (saves weight, one less part to fail) and instead use a highly efficient DC-DC converter and a downsized 12v battery (lawnmower or motorcycle sized) to power the 12v components in the car.

It does add complexity, but it also subtracts complexity. By assisting the engine, you prolong its lifespan - there are examples of 400k mile Chevy Volts and 600k mile Insights and Priuses on their original engine, still running great.

Maybe it would be unreasonably expensive, but frankly I don't know how much the costs of your proposed engine modifications would be, and it might not be dissimilar. I expect you'd get both more power and more economy by putting an electric motor in the middle, and you'd still have your high strung V8 noise, too.
I totally missed this. Honestly, I would rather spend the money to have a business set this system up properly in my car than me trying to screw around and do it myself. I wonder how this system compares to the hub motor system offered by the University of Middle Tennessee. I am not sure if the XL hybrid only turns my rear wheels and hence I lose that nice front wheel drive aspect with the hub motors...
Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
If you have the time you could go back and reread the thread. It was created by and for you. Your Overton Window has been moved.

Here's a rabbit hole to dive down:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=anti-reversionary+header

Big overlap at low ripp'ems.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
chefdave (01-10-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread