Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Truck Nut

Blue BAT - '06 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
90 day: 16.28 mpg (US)
Fault in accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
May I ask who was found at fault for that accident? Did you have witnessess to back up your story?

Ian
I was found at fault, of course. If you rear-end somebody, it is rare that you won't be found at fault. The legal theory being that you had full visibility of them and therefore had the opportunity to avoid the accident. No witnesses that stopped, unfortunately.

My experience is that this sort of behavior is age related (possibly just lack of driving experience?) more than it is gender related.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I just hope to god that a deer doesnt jump in front of me, because thats all too common here. The ones who most commonly do that to me are the 18 wheelers, ride a few feet from my bumper. Its nothing new, its been like that since I started driving in 1992. I can speed up to 70 in a 55 and they still just stay right on me so I figure why bother trying. Its nice when the mpguino numbers go up, but kinda scary otherwise. If anything ends up in front of me, Id be dead. And in that case it wouldnt really be a big deal whose fault they say it is. I just hold off till I need to turn, then slow down really slowly so they wont run me over.

I had one about 1 1/2 weeks ago where I just hit the shoulder. I was headed south on Friday, not many people out since the masses are headed north on Fridays, going about 65 in a 70. A Dodge Sprinter with Parts Plus logos came barreling at me, had to be going at least 90. I just hit the shoulder and just missed getting turned into an accordion. Even so, they didnt even move over to the empty left lane. It was like I wasnt even there.

Sometimes Im tempted to call up some of these commercial folks with "hows my driving" stickers on the back. But then I wonder if rather than the company, Ill just get the cellphone of the jerk who is driving and cause more issues.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Simple. Speed up and stop blocking traffic. If you can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, get off the road. Take the bus. Carpool. What you describe is reckless driving. You should be ashamed of yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
chrisgerman1983 (07-19-2012)
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
This morning a semi tailgated me during several km and flashed its lights several times. I kept the same speed during all the event. He had several occasions to overtake me but didn't. Finally he overpassed me when the speed limit lowered : I slowed down and he didn't.

I decided to print "Je n'accélèrerai pas" ("I won't accelerate") on my car.

I have a tee-shirt written "If you can read this, you are too close" with Taz over. There exist some stickers with more "styled" language

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z man View Post
Here's what I did, although I have only used it a few times, it was entertaining enough.
ScionLife View topic - DIY: Rear windshield nozzle SUPER SOAKER!

Spray them!

Now I have been just getting stressed when everyone wants to go 60mph in 45 or 55mph zones except for me.
I do that on the Jeep
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
Any thoughts or suggestions?
I handle tailgaters several different ways - since there's several kinds of tailgaters.
  • If it's a female, I drift off to the extreme right side of the lane. If I do this slowly enough, they'll follow me all the way over the line - then, I do a radical correction back to the left side of the lane, leaving them by themselves. You would not believe how many of them fall for this - just like in REAL life!

This is a fine game! I L-O-V-E abandoning women...

• If there isn't anybody around, I'll move into the lane to the left of me - roll my passenger window all the way down - and let them pass me on the right, if they got the nads! Don't roll your window down until the tailgater can see it happening.

Many times, these ppl are cowards, and think you're gonna cap 'em, give them the finger, yell at 'em, etc - all of which is a possibility, if I'm in a whimsical mood. My call, not theirs...

A variation of this is... once you move over, DO NOT let them pass you. I've done this all the way to 150 MPH at times.

• Another great one is to pretend you're drunk! Drift over the line - hit your brakes and correct - slow down - go over the other line - correct again - speed up - slump over the steering wheel - then fall on the center console.

I suppose it goes without saying, but don't do this if you're actually drunk or even have a little beer on your breath!!!

DO NOT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE WITH SEMI TRUCKS UNLESS YOU'RE SUICIDAL!!!

Hrm...

Well, those are the tactics I use the most. If I can think of more, I'll let you know...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Simple. Speed up and stop blocking traffic. If you can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, get off the road. Take the bus. Carpool. What you describe is reckless driving. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Id think itd be more reckless to speed and try to keep up with these dangerous clowns. Just my opinion.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
The Following User Says Thank You to wagonman76 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (10-09-2014)
Old 09-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Simple. Speed up and stop blocking traffic. If you can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, get off the road.
That's the way I feel when I'm racing...

One of these days I'm gonna 'cream' somebody - and I hope it's a tailgater
Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

NRA bumper stickers :-)

Though for some reason I never seem to get extreme tailgaters. I don't drive all that slow, and on mountain roads I always use the turnouts. After all, I've been on the other side often enough.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ghost Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Package 2
90 day: 54.08 mpg (US)
I had a trucker actually ask me at a gas station why all the Prius owners and those hypermilers drive the speed limit or 55. He also mentioned he hates it when he gets to a car doing 55 in the right lane cause that makes him change lanes.

I thought to myself, "if the CHP actually enforced the 55 MAX limit for trucks or cars towing a trailer we would be a lot safer and not have big ass semi trucks in the middle of the freeway doing 70+ lookin like a runaway truck

Reply  Post New Thread