Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane
The only question I saw was the title... was there something specific you were wanting to know about small towns?
This is just one of Xist's periodic updates on his lamentable existence career arc.

When I was in high school my mother drove the school bus so we would ride the entire route to be able to socialize, and then sweep it out each evening.

I was riding when the gas tank fell out of the back and the bus rolled to a stop. Good times.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I grew up in the middle of nowhere, 15 minutes from the nearest town of about 10k people, 30 minutes from 3 different towns of around 35k to 55k population. Simple life can be nice, enjoy life instead of being caught up in it.

That said, there are ample opportunities if you're willing to stick your neck out. I know a guy who rebuilds large capacity gas meters for us, he could increase his price by 50% and we would probably still pay it because it's so much cheaper than the factory. Find a niche where people are willing to spend money and operate in that realm. Lawn care, auto detailing, etc. Learn a skill and exploit it.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I just have to stay that you seem to have no effing clue what the middle of nowhere is. I mean, eight thousand people? A Safeway, a WalMart, hardware stores. Heck, I bet it even has traffic lights :-)

Now if you want some places on the edge of nowhere, try Ravendale, California, population 36. Or Jarbidge, Nevada, 20 miles from a paved road.
I just have to say you have no effing clue what the middle of nowhere is:

Quote:
Light years from the nearest carbon-based life form.

Did they leave his ship? Not having remote control seems like a galactic oversight. Batman has remote control!

I kind of feel bad creating threads and not checking on them, but the car repair one was the most important, and I have not seen responses.

Every time I think I have found all of the job openings I find another. Page may be a great opportunity, but all things being equal, I would rather not move, and Mom keeps telling me there are huge lonely drives across reservations without cell phone coverage.

I endured twelve months in Afghanistan. I will do nine in Page if I do not find something closer.

I will try to respond to everyone's replies, when I have time.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I kind of feel bad creating threads and not checking on them, but the car repair one was the most important, and I have not seen responses.
This thread:
Twelve replies, 364 views
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...00h-32198.html
Six replies, 993 views
(should be in Hybrids - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ore-35298.html
Thirteen replies, 653 views
(should be in DIY / How-to - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
This sounds like Rule 7: Survival of the Fittest Topic.

Best topics get most posts.

But you know this is a pretty good topic. I'm kind-of wishing to get some more money coming in on the side somehow, so I'll be watching this one for decent ideas.

Right now I do the Uber//Lyft thing and work my warehouse job, but in a few weeks derby season will end after our final game and I'll have more free time to do other stuff. In the past I've done yard work or low-skilled carpentry or sold stained glass art but my life circumstances have changed a lot since those days and I need new directions.

@Xist:
Your avatar made me think you were really old but now I suspect you're a millennial and younger than me.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Daox, I have seen SLPA jobs that start above $40k at a school, with benefits and summers off. SLP jobs start at $60k.

I can make that work.

Freebeard, how is the fire department?

The VA is supposed to take care of the down payment, but it would still be a while before I could purchase a house. At least nine months?

TheEnemy, I read someting about people in Downtown Page having, on average, a commute shorter than 99% of Americans.

I imagine that the rest of the town still has a shorter commute. How long can it be within seventeen square miles?

JockoT, they have Ford and Toyota dealerships. Were I to stay I just might go Toyota.

Seifrob, personally this sounds a bit like Cars. Supposedly, Radiator Springs is in Arizona, but I am no Lightning McQueen.

I am not Michael J. Fox or Nicholas Cage, either.

Darcane, I really just wanted to hear everyone's experience in a small town. I always enjoy visiting Mom, but it is a larger town, among several other towns, closer to a larger town.

Redpoint, a Bishop once told us young men that, before we married anyone, we took them hiking, got them bumped, bruised, cold, dripped on, etc., and if they spoke a word of complaint, dump them.

I once went hiking with a girlfriend and her family. It was cold and damp and I loved it.

That still does not make sense to me.

Oh well.

Freebeard, this is at least the second time you have posted about me using the forums to talk about my life. I do not know if everyone else makes decisions on their own, actually has friends to discuss things, or what, but I have never made friends easily.

I do not know if it would be easier or more difficult among 7,300 people.

Unfortunately, my memory only seems to go back two days, which is horrible, although TheEnemy did respond to my heater core thread. Thanks TheEnemy!

Natalya, that is Billy Crystal's character Miracle Max. He used the phrase "Mostly dead" and I made a meme about how I feel after running.

Here is his scene in "The Princess Bride:"

I am thirty-eight.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Freebeard, how is the fire department?
Volunteers. They have a 20x40 cinder-block building (now, not earlier), but I've never seen the truck[s].

Quote:
Freebeard, this is at least the second time you have posted about me using the forums to talk about my life. I do not know if everyone else makes decisions on their own, actually has friends to discuss things, or what, but I have never made friends easily.
You quite properly keep it to The Lounge. I was trying to help with darcane's question; no disrespect intended.

My situation is similar, just closer to twice your age. And I also don't resemble my avatar.

I don't get any second opinions — sometimes it's along time before the little light-bulb goes on over my head.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
OH I LOVE THAT MOVIE

I didn't recognize him in the photo, the ecomodder max avatar size is so small.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I endured twelve months in Afghanistan. I will do nine in Page if I do not find something closer.
Look on the bright side. Your chance of getting shot at is probably quite a bit lower in Page :-)

As for those long, lonely drives across the reservation, why would you want to leave? You're right next tof Glen Canyon NRA, not that far from Grand Canyon & Bryce Canyon National Parks, and much else.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
I had a look at Page on Google maps and it is full of tourist hotels, so it is obviously attractive to many.

Reply  Post New Thread