Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
The prius has become a favorite of anyone who has a lot of daily driving and don't want to burn up all their hard earned money on gas.
Gun toting southerners who dont like high gas prices also like the prius because it doesn't exactly say "I have a gun".

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-09-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
aahh, nothing more entertaining than someone desperatedly trying to validate their imaginary man card. The more they try the more futile their efforts.

I'll drive the car that'll pleases me.

The fact that someone thinks someone's car is ugly should just encourage them to continue driving it.

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fingie For This Useful Post:
SH@UN (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
In my country women are allowed to carry a gun too.
They are the fastest growing demographic among firearm conceal carry.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What cracks me up is the amount of people now days that still buy huge gas guzzling cars and SUVs, and then complain about gas prices.

Yeah.
NeilBlanchard (06-11-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH@UN View Post
What cracks me up is the amount of people now days that still buy huge gas guzzling cars and SUVs, and then complain about gas prices.

Yeah.
Even though many people still take a vehicle that is clearly oversized for their usage, it doesn't mean they're wrong when they complain about gas prices. I must confess I actually like trucks and real SUVs, but if I had one I would go visit some cousins in the countryside at least twice a month Actually even a VW Beetle could serve me right for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The prius has become a favorite of anyone who has a lot of daily driving and don't want to burn up all their hard earned money on gas.
I'd still rather consider a small-displacement motorcycle instead of a Prius, but that's mostly due to the cost and me being more familiarized with their mechanics and therefore able to perform the maintenance by myself, but I can't deny that a Prius would be more comfortable and offer a better loading ability.

Quote:
Gun toting southerners who dont like high gas prices also like the prius because it doesn't exactly say "I have a gun".
I knew there was a quite recent trend of "Prius Patriots" who were switching from gas-guzzlers to Priuses as a step toward a decrease on American imports of oil from war zones and third-world dictatorships which hold a hostile stance against the U.S.A. such as Venezuela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingie View Post
priuses aren't so lefty here, even if they have a bit of a treehugger stigma.
The tree-hugger stigma is quite hard to dissociate from the Prius, and back here it's also not exactly popular among local lefties due to its price. This is Brazil, and nearly everything is more expensive here.

Quote:
gas is so damn expensive here that the majority of finnish person cars are sub-2,5-liter.
There were times when roughly 70% of the new cars sold here in Brazil had 1.0L engines.

Quote:
a hardcore american muscle-fan in my village has a prius as a daily.
Most classic car enthusiasts usually get a newer economy car as a daily beater anyways... BTW don't you remember there are at least 2 members on this forum who are fitting Prius drivetrains into American classics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingie View Post
aahh, nothing more entertaining than someone desperatedly trying to validate their imaginary man card. The more they try the more futile their efforts.
And it happens frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Haven't done a scientific survey, but going by casually noted bumperstickers, it seems that around here expensive SUVs are more leftish than Prii.
That sounds quite surprising to me.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I got behind on Ecomodder moving into a place that still does not have the Internet and I just do not like using my phone for much more than calls. My computer does everything else so much better!

I bought a bluetooth keyboard and now have the equivalent of a 5" laptop.

Connect the Internet already!

I have not noticed any Prii here in Page, but I drive 1.4 miles each way, and have not gone anywhere else (except when I get lost). I see many trucks and "SUVs."

If this plating were real, I should have heard of it in the seventeen years the car has been sold in the U.S.

Giving a car an F rating on only three criteria seems absurd. People on here have claimed the Prius battery lasts hundreds of thousands of miles, but I argue that anecdotal evidence is not evidence. I cannot find any actual data, but I will accept on average between 100,000 - 200,000 miles. Some fail under warranty and others last long enough to make the news.

When I have looked for old Prii, ones in my price range had at least two of the following: 200,000+ miles, a bad traction battery, a bad transmission, and a salvage title.

Scotty Kilmer posted a video about a customer bringing in an old Prius that would not recharge. He determined that it had a bad generator. Instead of a bad alternator that can be replaced for a couple hundred dollars, it would cost $5,000.

He said it was common, but this was the first time I heard of it.

My friend claims her 2006 Prius gets 60 MPG. If so, she is in the top 3% of the 155 users reporting to EPA.gov and beats the Ecomodder average. Meanwhile, we have discussed on-board gauges reading 5% high. Car and Driver, Edmunds, and the Detroit News have each published articles with similar findings, but the Ford Escape hybrid Edmunds drove ran 19% high: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...s-fibbing.html
Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I bought a bluetooth keyboard and now have the equivalent of a 5" laptop.
Woohoo!

Quote:
He determined that it had a bad generator. Instead of a bad alternator that can be replaced for a couple hundred dollars, it would cost $5,000.

He said it was common, but this was the first time I heard of it.
Never heard of that problem.

And $5k repair cost is just silly talk. If you were facing a repair like that on an older Prius, you could just put in a used drivetrain, which go for peanuts, comparatively.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Woohoo!

And $5k repair cost is just silly talk. If you were facing a repair like that on an older Prius, you could just put in a used drivetrain, which go for peanuts, comparatively.
Sounds like a bad inverter

The generators are called mg1 and mg2
Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Woohoo!

I found eighteen Prius alternators that are supposed to fit a 2006 for $50 or less in the Phoenix area. Scotty's video is apparently six years old: https://youtu.be/gYpIjnBGL-E. I waded through the comments, my goodness those are a ridiculous waste of everyone's time, but someone wrote "The prius doesn't have an alternator, instead it uses an inverter/dc-dc converter module. It inverts the 220v of the traction battery to 480v to run the electric motor, but it also converts the 220v of the traction battery down to 14v to charge the 12v battery. The car does not need to be running for it to provide 14v, and it won't run that generator you're speaking of until the traction battery has been depleted. If that generator you're speaking of was bad, you wouldn't look at the 12v system to see if it's bad, because it doesn't charge that system. You would diagnose it by looking at the 220v traction battery system to see if it's working, because it only charges that battery. The inverter module is that unit labeled "Hybrid System". You can usually get one from a salvage yard for about $200-300. So only a little more than the cost of an alternator."

Someone asked if it was the inverter and he said no. The owner did not believe him, had it towed to the dealer, who told her the same thing, and she scrapped it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Considering that a conventional car is likely to require a transmission overhaul sooner or later anyway, the price penalty for a hybrid drive overhaul might eventually pay itself in the long run due to the extension of the useful operating life of the vehicle.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Fingie (08-20-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread