Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Yeah, the fuel log and calculations only update when you add a new entry, or edit an existing entry.

ecocruze (07-06-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #62 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I'm starting to see where my mpg are coming from. It's from slow acceleration above target speed and not exactly coasting. DWL I guess until just below target speed or until next turn. So maintain 35+ during acceleration up to say 50 mph then ease off the throttle to 75-80 mpg until I reach around 40 then repeat or begin EOnC until turn. Not sure if there is a term for that exactly but seems to work with the Cruze. Try the same thing with the explorer and find due to aero drag it seems it's better to maintain speed.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's awesome!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
During the past time I use P&G with AOC all the time, in the city, on highways and motorways.
The city kills my mpg because of other cars, traffic lights, ... always I have to stop when I reached the best speed for coasting
On the motorway I have to drive at least 50 mph for not to upset the truck drivers.
Best results I've got on the country side when I'm all alone on the road. I can P&G from 30 to 40 mph. Stop the engine at 40, coast until 30 then start the engine releasing the clutch and accelerate up to 40 again. For this I press down the gas pedal. I know that this uses more fuel than accelerating carefully but the engine works most effective when requesting higher torque. So I reach my desired speed faster and can switch off the engine earlier. That saves more than using more time to accelerate softly.

This is a snap shot I made half an hour after leaving home.
I'm living in an area with soft hills, 80 yards higher than my destination, 30 miles from home. "Hill-down" I use avg. 2,7 liters/100km (87 mpg), on the way back home it is 3,3 liters/100km (71 mpg). Of cause the more traffic the less mpg.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #65 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

If I didn't have my pop can turbo to give my car a reasonable amount of to question at above eco rmps I would do EOC but EOnC is the option as of now. Don't want to fry a turbo. I would expect to be able to break into mid to upper 60s with EOC. Not enough torque on the little gasser. Especially considering the weight. She'd about 800 lbs and I suspect 65 would be pretty easily attainable for me if I went back to LRR tires. Not into removing seats thought. One possible reduction would be removing the ac since I don't use it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ecocruze For This Useful Post:
Jurgis (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 AM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
I don't have LRR tires but a pressure of 44 psi like you. My tires are still ok for the next two years. So it makes no sense to buy LRR tires today and throw my tires away. I will change my summer tires in two or three years.

When I started to save fuel with EOC I hadn't any overview over all technical aspects and still today I'm not sure which components are influenced by this driving style. Right now my car is in the garage and will get a new clutch. I'm sure the life circle of the clutch is decreasing with P&G and esp. EOC. My car has 122t miles now. When I bought it with 100t miles I realized that the clutch already is close to end of life. So anyhow it should have been replaced and from today on it is new and will survive the next 100t miles with me
My car needs new oil and filter each 12t miles - for normal use.
With EOC the machine is only in use less than 30% of the miles but with higher torque. Anyhow I decided to change oil after 12t miles now.
I have no control over the temperature of the turbo but as the engine (and the turbo) is in use for 10 seconds only and then coasting for one minute I suppose the turbo won't heat up so much.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #67 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

The turbo is the only aspect that worries me. I do very little engine off coasting. Drives me nuts my trip doesn't add in the distance yet the odo does. So my first few tanks we're probably in the 50s due to the 3/4 mile EOC I was doing every day and think I will go back to. I hardly use any power to get up to that speed for the EOC so turbo doesn't do anything. Problem is only time I hit that spot is at night on my way to work. Lights off for a few seconds going 50 mph down a hill gets the hairs raised a bit haha. But I figure I did that EOC every drive to work for over 650 miles would equate to 18 miles missed out on. Roughly speaking that is 1.5 mpg increase since most fills are around 11 gal. Have to use the odometer. Anyways the game display for best 25, 50, 500 miles still tracks the mpg for EOC so why doesn't the trip meter work? Going to look for more places for EOC but avoid doing after heavy throttle. I'm sure your turbo is built sturdier then the Cruze popcan turbo lol. Not sure what psi yours runs up to but that plays a huge effect on how much heat is generated. I suppose I rarely break 5 psi boost so shouldn't have much heat build up at all.

Last night had 16 miles at 43 mpg due to standing water on the roads during nasty small storm. Started when I hit the highway and ended when I got off. Mother nature isnt in my favor that was 28 miles at under 50. This am was clear and netted 55.5 on drive home not counting EOC. Torque app doesn't record when engine is off either so can't get totally accurate.abot 1/2 mile coast on a 13.1 mile commute will add up. 1.25 miles of EOC for about 26 miles of driving 31.25 miles if all things else stay the same add those miles to last tank. Would bump me up to 61.8 mpg.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #68 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles

Silverbullet - '08 Toyota Prius
I would recommend calculating your fuel economy by how many miles you have driven on a tank and divide it by how many gallons you can squeeze into the tank. I fill my car in the same stall at the same filling station so I know it is getting filled the same exact each time. If your car is angled on a hill it can vary how much fuel you can get into it and thus why you should use the same stall each time. Then you will know how accurate your measuring device is. Mine happens to be over 99% accurate, so your engine off coasting won't matter because the tank doesn't lie if filled the same each time.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I would recommend calculating your fuel economy by how many miles you have driven on a tank and divide it by how many gallons you can squeeze into the tank. I fill my car in the same stall at the same filling station so I know it is getting filled the same exact each time. If your car is angled on a hill it can vary how much fuel you can get into it and thus why you should use the same stall each time. Then you will know how accurate your measuring device is. Mine happens to be over 99% accurate, so your engine off coasting won't matter because the tank doesn't lie if filled the same each time.
Ever deal with an artificial limiter on a gas tank? I have over 2 gallons of wasted space in my tank if I don't top off by trickle filling for 10 minutes. Not fun when you have places to be and **** to do.
Anyways what I was saying is the trip computer doesn't add any distance when EOC. I need to use odometer and subtract to figure out how many miles I have actually driven. I do typically fill up at same pump everytime. So I can try to trickle in my usual extra gallon.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 18.41 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
That is odd, the few times I EOC at less than 10mph down a hill for testing purposes, the trip odometer still calculated on the car, and the obd gauges went up also....hmmm

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Reply  Post New Thread