Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #181 (permalink)
Scandinavian creature

Golf ball - '94 Volkswagen Golf III
90 day: 28.46 mpg (US)
I made the EOC switch few days ago. It was easy, i cutted the wire going to the hall-sensor(equivalent to cam sensor).

What i did was maybe too complicated... 5V reg with 5V relay, with normal open switch I did'nt have normal close switch anywhere at the moment and i was eager to test this

But now i have almost mastered the EOC.
When i go in the highway, P&G at between 80-100km/h, i EOC, and then release the clutch at top gear when it's at 80km/h. It bumbs a little. But when it bumbs when it starts, it decreases the speed significantly, resulting in very little benefit.

Any hints of how to EOC properly?

Brrrmm
Now selling preassembled MPGuino's!
http://www.mthtek.net/mpguino/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #182 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezacotl View Post
But now i have almost mastered the EOC.
When i go in the highway, P&G at between 80-100km/h, i EOC, and then release the clutch at top gear when it's at 80km/h. It bumbs a little. But when it bumbs when it starts, it decreases the speed significantly, resulting in very little benefit.

Any hints of how to EOC properly?
Let the clutch out rapidly then press it right back in as quickly as possible, DO NOT JUST SLOP IT IN GEAR AND LEAVE THE CLUTCH OUT.

Anyway I release the clutch out then back in as QUICKLY as possible, my car directly after restart is to the floor (on its own, I don't touch the gas), I normally restart in 5th, even if I am only driving 20mph, this results in a violent lurch if I leave the clutch out after restart because the motor wants to race up then back down, in gear it can't do that and is really unhappy.

On my cobalt I can't even measure how many MPH I loose hitting the clutch in and out, its nearly undetectable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Quezacotl (08-06-2012), YeahPete (12-07-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #183 (permalink)
Scandinavian creature

Golf ball - '94 Volkswagen Golf III
90 day: 28.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Let the clutch out rapidly then press it right back in as quickly as possible, DO NOT JUST SLOP IT IN GEAR AND LEAVE THE CLUTCH OUT.

Anyway I release the clutch out then back in as QUICKLY as possible, my car directly after restart is to the floor (on its own, I don't touch the gas), I normally restart in 5th, even if I am only driving 20mph, this results in a violent lurch if I leave the clutch out after restart because the motor wants to race up then back down, in gear it can't do that and is really unhappy.

On my cobalt I can't even measure how many MPH I loose hitting the clutch in and out, its nearly undetectable.
Oh, thanks, gotta try that EDIT: Works!

Brrrmm
Now selling preassembled MPGuino's!
http://www.mthtek.net/mpguino/

Last edited by Quezacotl; 08-06-2012 at 04:39 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Garrari - '89 Pontiac LeMans GSE
90 day: 42.62 mpg (US)

wife's car - '99 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
90 day: 22.13 mpg (US)

chevy - '00 chevrolet cavalier base
90 day: 39.36 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to dfregozo
I've gone through the whole thread and I've seen people ask about this but nobody has answered or I missed it but what is a good way to do this on a carb'ed car? I have an '89 pontiac and it is not fuel injected. any help?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #185 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Olive Drab - '94 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfregozo View Post
I've gone through the whole thread and I've seen people ask about this but nobody has answered or I missed it but what is a good way to do this on a carb'ed car? I have an '89 pontiac and it is not fuel injected. any help?

Have your switch cut off the main relay which will kill the spark. Make sure the car is out of gear to keep the engine from spinning any more than it's own momentum causes.

WARNING:
Remember that your carb will still be providing fuel to the engine even though no spark will be present to detonate it. This will push a small amount of unburned fuel into the exhaust system. Restarting the engine may cause a small backfire. The more the engine spins after the spark is cut, the larger the backfire.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #186 (permalink)
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
Don't most carbs have a fuel shutoff solenoid that physically impedes fuel delivery to the float bowl when its power is interrupted? Removing power from such a solenoid without killing spark would allow the engine to run on for no more than a second or so until the fuel level in the bowl(s) drops enough that it can no longer fire, and this will minimize or eliminate the quantity of unburned fuel sent into the exhaust.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #187 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
I can't vouch for all or even most, but I've never seen a shut-off solenoid in a carb. I've worked on hundreds if not thousands of cars, trucks, and non-road use equipment both professionally( 25+ years) and personally( a bit longer). Adding one would help with engine braking, but carb bowls do hold enough fuel to build up in the exhaust and ignite when ignition is returned. And yes I have experience this first hand.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #188 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Adding one would help with engine braking, but carb bowls do hold enough fuel to build up in the exhaust and ignite when ignition is returned. And yes I have experience this first hand.
I have a subaru 360 that has a electronic carb shut off just prior to the bowl, the way you use this as an effective kill switch is to shut off the solenoid, wait then kill the motor.

My Subaru 360 will run about a 1/4 mile on the fuel in the bowl at speed however so it doesn't work perfectly but if you time it you can kill the motor without hosing down the engine with as much unburnt gas. You don't want to completely kill the engine this way alone or its awefull hard to restart.

You need to turn the solenoid right back on after the motor dies or you will wait some time to have enough fuel to run after doing this.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #189 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXmpgRacer View Post
I thought I would share my gear shifter mounted kill/start switch. The switch is for a wench and I set it up to kill the engine.
Push down to kill the engine
Push up to start the engine
*snip pics*
Whoa, wait a dog gone minute! They make switches for wEnches? Where do I get n^x of those???
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #190 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Made a Kill switch today and works great except my Ultraguage errors on the MPG's. Anyone know if its still calculating the MPGs when I am coasting with the motor off and the Guage reads ERR?

Edit: it does read while displaying ERR. Thanks

I cut and extended the white wire coming out of the distributor and ran it to a normally closed switch. I used two hose clamps to clamp a bracket with a bend in it to the shifter. I bent it so it would closely match the angle of the rubber cover. Pulled the cover back over the switch and cut a 1/4 inch hole so the button would poke out. Soldered and Heat wrapped the connections.

Last edited by gofalls; 08-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: added photo
The Following User Says Thank You to gofalls For This Useful Post:
Christ (08-18-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread