Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

A good CRT, like Trinitron progressive, up to DVD SD resolution, flat screen, it's great.

IPS it's a scam, the same s..., the center still brighter if look by close, and if look by angle (even 20 degree) the whole screen get darker. Still have motion blur (more than non IPS) killing details even in motions quite slow.

The Samsung 4K TV I refer to hate and have desire to explode with a missile, have reviews on amazon.com as 4 or 5 stars, mostly.
All LCD?LED/IPS screen I saw in my life was a garbage. All destroys contrast and create white holes in the face of actors, and creates crushed shadows. If you turn contrast setting to low and adjust brightness, to reduce this disgusting abominable effect genocider of dynamic range, the image get dull, grey and faded or dark.
All LCD panels, no matter if LED backlight, IPS or whatever, have these garbages to make angry. I will never accept such screen to watch a movie in my life !!!

Lety me tell you something, how LCD destroid my movie enjoying life.

First was the frustration and hate when the DVD appeared. The first PC DVD Kit, a garbage look on PC computer monitor (CRT), faded, and got clipped whites if we tried to adjust ciontrast. But on TV (CRT) it looked glossy and with good dynamic range. Nobody was able to excplain me why a PC monitor (CRT back then) was a s... to watch on CRT computer monitors, and at the same time was ok for a CRT TV. Even people that worked on a Effets compoany couldn't explain me it, just just had many theories.
Today I know TV CRT and computer monitor CRT are different, one made for high contrast video signals and the other made for high contrast signals.
BMP and good JPG images was ok on computer monitor, but video signals made for TV looked faded and dull, despite be good if watched in a CRT TV.

But even on TV many DVD had digital artefacts, despite be advertised as perfect image. It pissed me off too. The cable signed sat system, the first one in my country, when started had few channel and with times the image only get worse and worse, with more artefact while morew channel was added to the systyem. Today it looks similar a JPEG made with to worse compression possible, giant artefacts on creen. And the tecnicia, which I desire to punch on face, had the courage to tell me it was this way because it was not 4K.

I got tired and tired of people came to me and said. "Now there is a digital TV with HD image, quality". And everytime I would check it was a piece of garbage. Then people come again : "Now there is wide angle view." And I checked again only only saw distortions even at 10 degreee or less, despite the f... manufacturer claim to have almost 180 degree (or almost 90 if you measure from the middel/front) angle view.
Then came IPS, and people told me : "This new feature make the image even at all angles". And I checked and once again found crap garbage, distortions, a hoax, screen get darker and I noticed it even at 10 degree or less.

And not just the LCD itself it'as all garbage, no matter the type of LCD panel, but they changed the contrast standart of TV to homologate with computer monitor screen standart, since they creat the "Smart"TVs to surf on web. Now the TVs have the garbage contrast standart thet anoyed me when the PC DVD kits come.
In other words, it have everything I hate.

Even the HDR it's crap, looking like a extended dynamic range, and also have clipped whites. AND WORSE !!! it only works to HDR video. It's quite they were trying to compensating for the holocaust of dynamic range made by LCDs, and created something to try compensate it but that only works on HDR videos. So it's just another scam/hoax.

If someone give me (gift) a 70 inch HDR 4K IPS TV, I do not accept. I would give it to a school, to a university, or try to sell. If they give and say that for accept I would be required to make a elogy to the model, like in front of a camera, I would refuse.
I just can't accept hoax, big lies.

4K it's a hoax too, compression kill details, and motion blur induced by TV fails kill details too,m so if you had a mosaic made of many images from 380/260 pixels, forming a 16:9 4K image (as a mosaic) on the big screen, and would cut one of the little image to chack the resolution, it would be way inferir to a prime SP speed VHS recorded from a uncomopressed source.

Even if the comrpession did not killed details (let's supose just as a exampel to think), and even if TV motion blur did not killed too, you would need to sit very close to the screen to see the fine details of 4K. And if you sit close enough to see all details you will see a f... screen center a lot brighter then the medion and edge portions of the creeen.

And the crazy people on Japan come to talk about 8K for LCD screen... It's a joke, just a joke.
Even worse, more than 75% of movies are finished in 2K, and they convert, interpolate the image to create 4K blu rays. ANother f... hoax, lie, lack of shame on face.

That's why I was banned, because they could not stand me posting unmasking all the crap lies of home video industry, since they probable get money from some brands to keep to forum.

I don't understand people, like they were blind... A relative placed a Samsung Synchmaster TV monitor on computer, and connected a LCD TV-Monitor (monitor and TV on same device) on it, and had by side a good CRT TV. Both were displaying the same channel, a soccer game, or something like. The CRT was ok, good density, good saturation, good brightness, without crushed shadows and without clipped whites. The LCD was a garbage, grey, dull, lifeless, soft in detais (lacking sharpeness) but the relatrive insisted it was good, even if side by side the difference was overwelming, shouting difference, and insisted thast was a matter to adjust setting, but no adjust was possible to turn the LCD watchabble, since it got worse and worse. Any contrat setting made it more gray or with clipped whites (more or less contrast adjust), and brightness just made if darker or whitened (like airbrush transparent whie paint). Minuites runned and there he was, unable to get a watcheable image, but insisting the LCD was a good technology.
This same relative told me didn't saw artefacts on the 4K Samsung 50 LCD TV, even with some artefacts larger than may open hand.

Sometimes I feel insde a Twilight Zone series episode made up just to upset me, like in a alternative reality where people was blind, or color blind, or blind to dynamic range.
You don't know how this is... It's horrible.... Maybe people in my country are just used with garbage quality, since most things here are garbage.

Even if I was rich to afford a OLED TV (a fortune on Brasil) I would not. It have burning in effect, and it also have motion blur. It life spam it's just 50% of average TVs and the price it's more the twice of other TVs. So it's like 4 times worse in this matter.
And it have limited light intensity.

So I keep my position, there is no longer a good display to watch films. I challenge any manufactures on the world to show me a decent screen.
Quantum dots are satil a kind of LCD, still distort, still creat motion bluer, still have center brighter than edges and still have distortion or darker look if turn just 10 or 15 degree.

And anyway all broadcast of digital signal on Brazil, without exception, are garbage, with many artefacts and loss of detail due crap compression, banding and largr blocks in darck scenes. And guess what, the signed sat TV, the most expansive, it's the worst of all, sometimes even worse than VHS . MGM Gold HD was presenting the remake of Mad Max, and in scenes with motion (action) was worse than VHS.

Even I there was a decent screen (let's supose there was), for what I would use it ? To watch ritch bitrate 4K Blu Rays only ? Blu Rays that are a mostly hoax, interpolations of 2K...

And don't forget that grain reduction, specially the low cost ones used in many old and granier films, disolves a lot of image details and fine textures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I was a CRT holdout for a long time, but truth be told, when I finally switched, I never looked back. CRTs are fuzzy, flicker, and when compared with a high quality panel IPS or -VA panel, don't render colors as accurately. They were also more expensive (both to purchase and ship) and power hungry. Certainly if you buy cheap garbage LCD panels you'll be disappointed, but it's not true to say that the technology is inferior. Perhaps not better in every sense, but better in enough ways that matter.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-04-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Wall o' text.

What's it have to do with Teslas crashing (again).

Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I won a 42" LCD TV this year, and I immediately gifted it away to a stranger. Already have a 60" plasma, and can't watch 2 TVs at once.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Gine me a minute to find a excuse...

2 minutes later... Well tesla have LCD screens. Somewhere I bet it have ...

Ok, I appologise for that long text. Adminstration already moved it away. Sorry for that, I was steaming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Wall o' text.

What's it have to do with Teslas crashing (again).
Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

My hero ...

But Plasma will create burn in effect if you watch much movies with black bar to fit rastio aspect.

Energy consume it's a Hoax. People had 20 or 29 inch CRT TVs, and replaced it with 50 inch LCD. The 50 inch LCD took as much or even more energy, and if it's a 4k, the processor and everything took even more The 4K LEd Tv 50 inch I refered as wished to explode with a missele, took 200W, and the old 29 inch trinitron took just 100W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I won a 42" LCD TV this year, and I immediately gifted it away to a stranger. Already have a 60" plasma, and can't watch 2 TVs at once.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
I noticed how bad CRTs were - resolution wise - when I picked up a SNES Classic. I thought the graphics great when I was a kid...now they make me laugh...or scoff. They were perfect on a CRT at the time, though.

Even DVDs look like crap these days. Give me HD or give me death!

(PS: Buy a good TV and you won't have to put up with motion blur/pixilation)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
Old video games are much better on a CRT, display lag is real.

The Following User Says Thank You to deluxx For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
[B]
But Plasma will create burn in effect if you watch much movies with black bar to fit rastio aspect.

Energy consume it's a Hoax. People had 20 or 29 inch CRT TVs, and replaced it with 50 inch LCD. The 50 inch LCD took as much or even more energy, and if it's a 4k, the processor and everything took even more The 4K LEd Tv 50 inch I refered as wished to explode with a missele, took 200W, and the old 29 inch trinitron took just 100W.
I have had image burn in due to my static Windows desktop appearing too long, but I use a screensaver now. I never watch content with black bars, so that hasn't been an issue, and my screen saver will eventually reduce the burn in effect if it happens.

Electricity consumption likely has gone down for most households who switched to LCD, because despite the larger screen and light output, it is way more energy efficient. A CRT monitor is roughly twice the power consumption of a similar sized LCD, and local dimming LED backlighting makes them even more efficient.

My plasma is a bit of an energy hog at 200 watts average, but it's a bright 60" screen.

I haven't researched OLED, but I assume it is very efficient since it produces the desired color and intensity in the individual pixels (additive color) rather than filter out the undesired colors and intensity like LCD(subtractive).

I agree that LCD is not ideal, but I don't think it will be around too much longer anyhow.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Black burns in?!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Lety me tell you something, how LCD destroid my movie enjoying life.
Well, you could always read a book instead :-)

While I don't watch TV (and in fact have never owned one), I do have a 21" (or maybe 23"?) CRT display out in the shed. It's about 3 feet long, and weighs maybe 50 lbs. To use it, I had to move my desk a couple of feet away from the wall, and even then it was blurry and I'd get headaches from watching the video scan line zip back and forth.

The LCD displays that I have now are slim, and text, graphics, and colors are far better than any CRT I've ever seen. While I don't do video, I do some fairly complicated visualization stuff. I don't see any artifacts of the sort you describe. I suspect most of them are not the fault of the display technology, but of trying to compress high-definition video to fit through low-bandwidth channels.

Reply  Post New Thread