Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda's SkyActiv X... uses spark-controlled knock! (maybe)

Figured some here would get a kick out of this article:

Nerd Alert! Mazda

The real meat, however, is on the final page:

Quote:
Picture this: the spark plug sparks causing the detonation of the air:fuel mixture right around the plug. The flame front forms and spreads out and away from the central ignition point. The flame front burns the fuel and air in the cylinder as it moves through the mixture. This flame front increases the pressure and temperature of the unburned mixture in front of it. Sometimes, the pressure increases enough to cause combustion in the mixture before the flame reaches it creating knock.
In other words, instead of creating enough pressure via compression to cause auto-ignition, the engine can create *almost* enough pressure via compression, and use traditional spark ignition of a very tiny amount of air-fuel mixture concentrated around the plug (basically, the way all direct injection engines do now to lean-burn) to push the mixture over the edge.

Very speculative, but I like the idea. Sort of the combustion equivalent of how we race in the rain... don't wait for the car to slide, push it over. Makes it more controllable.

Betcha this makes the calculations much simpler than in other HCCI systems.

The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
darcane (08-31-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
That might be safer to operate with a wider range of octane ratings, or with ethanol, and also gaseous fuels such as CNG and biomethane. Honestly, even though gasoline and regular Diesel fuel are eventually going to be outdated at all, it doesn't seem so likely that the internal-combustion engine would have the same fate in a mid to long term.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very interesting article... He gives a good explanation of a lot of their existing technology (I hadn't heard about their SPCCI engine before) and how it is likely leveraged with the HCCI engine.

Unfortunately, the real interesting bit is just a lot of educated speculation. Anyone closely following this engine would have already made most/all of the same assumptions. I'd be very interested to get more details directly from someone at Mazda.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 09-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Very interesting article... He gives a good explanation of a lot of their existing technology (I hadn't heard about their SPCCI engine before) and how it is likely leveraged with the HCCI engine.

Unfortunately, the real interesting bit is just a lot of educated speculation. Anyone closely following this engine would have already made most/all of the same assumptions. I'd be very interested to get more details directly from someone at Mazda.
They're very tight-lipped about it. Very frustrating!

-

As Dave Coleman works at Mazda and is a good friend of the people at MotoIQ, I reckon they've probably run these guesses past him, so they may be very good guesses.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Engineering explained on the tube provided some very good insights into the process. Controlled knock and works best with 80 octane with 16:1 compression.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 03-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I wonder if they'd lose their ability to do this if you filled them with E30 or 93 octane.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
That’s where my thoughts went to as well. Then I wondered if a little desiel to lower the 87 octane down would be possible.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
I smell Honda's CVCC engine from the 1980's.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
If you guys watch engineering explained videos he has a good contact with mazda. Hes commented multiple times saying the engine will have a peak efficiency of 43% vs the current engine at around 35%, but average thermal efficiency should be way up. And as all of us racing types know its avhp and avtq over the operating range that wins, not peak horsepower with no meat. Should be interesting. I forsee a couple numbers up on the highway but a nice jump in the city mileage. They also noted that it may not sound like a huge change but when you actually hit the gas it should have a huge advantage in efficiency over your typical prius which has a low of 2% thermal efficiency.
Next gen engine after the X is rumored to hit 56% from Mazdas very optimistic mouth so fingers crossed. This is more beneficial to saving energy than electrification if more manufacuters can get their lineups to start utilizing 50%+ efficient engines.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
As you mention, average efficiency is more relevant than peak efficiency. I'd be curious what the average efficiency is over a standardized test cycle, and how it compares with other engines.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread