Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tie Fighter 7 - '15 Chevy Volt
This is a different link to the dieselplace study. It should work for non-members.

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Since seeing this report a few years ago, I've been using Supertech 2-stroke oil in both my car and truck with no issues. My goal was lubricity, some folks on the TDI forums claim a mpg gain but it could be a placebo gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
sulfur lubricates as lead did. correct me if i'm wrong.
You are correct, ULS diesel is sometimes called "dry diesel" There have been growing pains, although VW and Bosch never admitted it some folks blame the 2009-12 TDI fuel pump failures on USLD.

Last edited by MkVer; 09-24-2015 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: quote addition
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
sulfur lubricates as lead did. correct me if i'm wrong.
Here is my understanding of the ULSD reformulation. The sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process of removing the sulfur also reduces the fuel lubricity. In addition to the ridiculously low cetane of the new ULSD fuel, and what I perceive to be less energy, I never run straight D2. Even during winter I run at least B20. I get better mileage on biodiesel than pump diesel; this I have tested back-back directly, it's less than 5% difference, but that's why I think there may be less energy in the ULSD -- might be cetane differences too, but since we are in the Unicorn Corral we are allowed to speculate rampantly.
deejaaa (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dolphin - '00 Honda Insight
tl;dr - but: I had a 2008 Smart Diesel, and it was grateful for an addition of half synthetic two stroke oil, about 1:150 mix. It ran definitely quieter. MPG had been the same though. I felt better because I assumed that the high pressure common rail pump was better lubricated.

Once one guy had created his own Diesel fuel addon in a DIY way named Monzol. I had tried it, it was even better than two stroke engine oil.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tie Fighter 7 - '15 Chevy Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Here is my understanding of the ULSD reformulation. The sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process of removing the sulfur also reduces the fuel lubricity. In addition to the ridiculously low cetane of the new ULSD fuel, and what I perceive to be less energy, I never run straight D2. Even during winter I run at least B20. I get better mileage on biodiesel than pump diesel; this I have tested back-back directly, it's less than 5% difference, but that's why I think there may be less energy in the ULSD -- might be cetane differences too, but since we are in the Unicorn Corral we are allowed to speculate rampantly.
From what I understand biodiesel contains less energy per gallon than D2 but it burns more efficiently. So (and this is only based on what I've observed myself or read on other forums) in concentrations below B50 the more efficient burn of Bio allows a more complete burn of the dino-diesel, thus raising mpgs a bit. I've noticed a difference on my car but never my truck. Bio also has significantly better lubricity (#1 on the study) so whenever I can run it I don't run 2-stroke.

Interestingly Biodiesel also acts as a fuel system cleaner. Guys on the TDI forums have said that running one tank of B100 loosened enough gunk to completely clog their fuel filter.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Back when ULSD came out, all of us old time diesel drivers were adding some ATF to our fuel tanks- good thing, too. the lube package for the first couple years in ULSD was HORRIBLE/non existent, and many good Fuel injection pumps and injectors were destroyed due to lack of proper lubrication.
You can actually run a diesel on 100% ATF- they run just fine- I have a friend who owns a Quick Lube, he saves all the used ATF, filters it and uses it in his Ford to pull his bass boat all over the country.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I've read that ATF will dislodge any gunk that had accumulated.

I used to dump waste motor oil into the fuel tank without doing anything to it. I figure it got filtered thousands of times, so it should be good to go. Just need a clean oil pan to catch the oil.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yep, good point. Lots of diesel owners I know did the same thing. Never heard of any issues!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Used to and Lots of are... old.

Yes, the lube oil got filtered constantly, but it was formulated to stick together to maintain a film under harsh conditions, not to get spritzed into a fine mist by the injectors. That alone should give one pause.

I'm not up on diesels, as such: I'm a parts guy, and I hate diesels because they're difficult (not efficient on my end). Older diesels could run on pure ATF, straight WMO, whatever the hell you could fit in the tank. Everything runs tighter nowadays, and newer ones (06+?) are also less forgiving because of emissions rules. I've seen clogged injectors from mixing WMO with the fuel.

In the newer, more highly strung diesels, I'm not a big fan of additives. There's a place for them, but use a light brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
ATF is motor oil without the combustion byproducts control package. Plus additives specifics to its stated purpose. Meaning, additives NOT wanted in motor fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
ASV
weirdo

my cousin owns a very successful tow company.
I don't know what his current practice is but when I was around his shop
he would always have a big bottle of ATF mix on his equipment
he didn't use it all the time but when he needed high power output in it went.

filtered old motor oil is also a popular fuel alternative and or additive
and with a higher BTU and higher lubrosity it has definitely got positive aspects.

and you do need to filter it

this is a pretty good article on filtering and mixing and it would pertain to ATF as well

https://usfiltermaxx.com/en/content/9-make-black-diesel

Reply  Post New Thread