Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Remember, a OBD gauge is never going to be accurate to within 2%. The biggest thing that will throw it out is a change of driving style.

Pulse and DFCO doesn't work, even on cars like my Trafic (tiny diesel- heavy vehicle) where I can't even tell if I'm gliding in gear or neutral.

Pulse and gentle throttle may work. It works for Hybrids and it works for diesels, but I have feeling for a typical petrol car it may not - you're operating at max pumping losses that way - which is contrary to the whole point of P&G.

I don't bother with P&G on the highway - you'll have the same results just sitting in the slow lane.
I know my ScanGauge does not give me a definitive mpg but it does show me if what I am doing is better than worse than what I was doing before.
I was on the highway yesterday evening and what I am doing is more Pulse and Gentle throttle than using DFCO. I can get 50 seconds at 100+ mpg for 10 seconds at 40 mpg and when conditions allow (like slight down grades) I sometimes can use full DFCO.
And here in Scotland our highways are either one lane in each direction or two lane, where the "slow lane" is travelling at 50 - 55 mph and the "fast lane" at 60 - 65 mph. Unless of course it is a blanket 40 mph with average speed cameras!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
So anything other than engine off pulse and glide is just a waste of time (and petrol). Well as I don't do engine off I won't bother with pulse and glide.
I'll settle for anticipation and driving without brakes.
Thanks. I am learning all the time here.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Limited example size of only 1 car, your mileage may vary.

My input was only as to how much does P&G gain over just driving the average speed and is it worth the effort.

It can be significant if you done correctly, not if you don't.

Serious P&G do it regardless of grade, doing only when the gravity is in you favor edges the advantage towards your style working.

I use DFCO when gravities helping which isn't often here, other wise just N coasting to stops and driving without brakes.

Last edited by roosterk0031; 08-14-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I know my ScanGauge does not give me a definitive mpg but it does show me if what I am doing is better than worse than what I was doing before.
Not really. When you calibrate your OBD gauge, you're basically telling it 'here is my fuel consumption for the average engine speed/load over the last tank'.

I've had my SG2 for around six years and I don't think I've ever had the calibration be within 2% on consecutive tanks - it's quite typical to be out by +/-5% (ie a 10% error spread). Highway drivers will have a smaller discrepancy because they're average speed/load is more consistent. But when you change driving style you throw calibration out the window to a large extent.

When you accelerate, your AFR turns slightly rich (acceleration enrichment), even if you car stays in closed loop, the only way to accelerate is to run slightly rich. This is almost certainly enough to counter the 2% gain the SG reports.

The SG2 is broadly useful in many respects, but it falls down on really fine tuning driving style. I use the onboard display for IC in my Renault as it does account for the AFR, and the SG2's short trip as an indicative game.

I just fitted an MPGuino - that does measure fuel and therefore enrichment - to my Proton. I'll try Pulse and DFCO while I zero in on it's ideal driving style, but from memory when I last used it, I don't think it was accurate tank to tank to within 2% either.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldtamiyaphile For This Useful Post:
puddleglum (08-14-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
You can still p&g with the engine on. It won't help as much as engine-off but it will still help a lot.

The problem isn't the difference between 300 mpg neutral coasting and 9999 mpg in-gear. It's the loss of momentum in gear. You then have to burn more fuel to gain that momentum back.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
Christian (02-04-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread