Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2017, 05:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-26-2017), freebeard (11-22-2017), redpoint5 (11-22-2017), Xist (11-22-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I previously mentioned this and then deleted it, but we had a Sergeant in my last unit that was vegetarian, and he told us the U.S. Army had almost fed him for nine years. He was overweight. He never ate vegetables, but lived off of soda and chips, but shortly before he got out of the Army he lost a significant amount of weight.

I believe the Turing Test is a matter of perspective.

Fat is flavor, but so is sugar. Mmmmm... Maple bacon!

It does not make sense to me to attempt to avoid or reduce gluten if it does not cause any problem. I just imagine that if you started eating seitan sooner or later someone would freak out when they realize you are eating straight gluten.

I honestly want to see that.

I will eat meat with piņa coladas if I want. Gosh!

Again, I do not know what it is about eating meat that satisfies me, but to me it is like if I drink so much water that I feel full, or I drink a protein smoothie or milkshake instead of an actual meal.

It just feels hollow.

I read something recently about Temple Grandin and her campaign to make slaughterhouses humane. They would bring one cow in while two others were in various states of slaughter.

You would think the cows would realize humans were taking apart the other cows.

My sister the scary bossy nurse practitioner told me to not eat soy. Dr. Axe said that most soy products are basically junk food, but fermented soy is prepared completely differently, and is good for you. A cousin mentioned on Facebook she was considering going vegan for her health. My sister linked an article saying eating a balanced diet is healthier.

I found a woman to date half an hour from Mom's house, so I drove there every weekend, spend the better part of the day working on projects, and then would drive to the young lady's house, we would cook together, and would watch a movie. She had a Master's and understood my references. I wondered if she found my trivia boring and then she would share her own.

She described herself as 90% vegan, but she loved cheese too much to give up, and then said she was lactose intolerant. We met at a Mexican restaurant for the first date and then she suggested we went hiking, there was a trailhead half a mile away. On the fifth date, I went over earlier and we hiked near her house. For the sixth date, last weekend, she picked me up for a day trip.

We alternated taking care of dinner. I spent a while trying to find another good vegetarian recipe to try, but everything called for cheese and eggs. I tried finding a good vegan recipe, but nothing I found looked good.

I had time Saturday morning, but if I only had a few hours to work on projects, that was how I was going to spend my time. When she picked me up, I told her I had not planned anything for dinner, and she insisted she had been craving pizza. I asked about the cheese and she said she would be fine.

Previously, purchasing a number of vegetables had been expensive. I may be several thousand dollars in debt with credit cards (with a 0% introductory rate for over a year), but I eat cereal for breakfast and ramen for lunch and dinner with an egg or two.

Oatmeal is cheaper than Kashi, but I like eating the fiber and protein.

"Stay fuller longer!" Ha! I eat half a box for breakfast!

I kept reading that people with lactose intolerance could usually eat aged cheese, it was a sugar that broke down while being aged, and while a fresh cheese might have six grams of sugar per serving, aged cheese might have half a gram. When she went to choose grated cheese for pizza, I could not find any that said they were aged. Parmesan? Somehow I forgot when I put the cheese on the pizza, I should have asked about only putting half of the bag or something. We ate and I asked if she wanted the $4 pint of lactose-free ice cream she had bought.

She ended the date because of cheese problems.

Page does not have school today. Instead of trying to drive straight to Show Low from work, I am leaving this morning, so I can drive during the day.

I would have changed my plans if I could have seen the young lady today, but instead she sent me a text saying she did not want to be in a relationship. At this point, vegetarianism is an academic interest. I had wanted to make sure that I had vegan meals planned that both of us would enjoy. She had meat cravings and acted like it was an addiction. She had only been "90% vegan" for six months. Maybe she had not tried seitan, but it could help.

Maybe I will stop driving to Mom's every weekend and will actually stay in Page. I imagine the people here are nice. Ten hours of driving each weekend is not my favorite way to spend time and while each trip used to cost $35, now it costs $40, and winter is coming.

I am happy to continue discussing vegetarianism. Thank you for your input. Please enjoy your weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-26-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Our teeth are designed for a variety of food, including meat. Eating a variety of food in moderation is healthy.

Livestock don't comprehend life and death. I've put down sheep before, and the other sheep will run from the sound of the gun, but soon after return because they are used to me not being a threat (and source of apples from the orchard). They don't care about other individual sheep; they only feel security by the herd.

Killing animals is not mean; being mean to animals is mean.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I believe the Turing Test is a matter of perspective.
Ha! artificial intelligence suspicions confirmed.

But thank you for mentioning Temple Grandin. She was one of the first autists on Internet, before 4chan even existed. I checked DuckDuckGo for a link, and it turns out there is a movie about her: Temple Grandin (TV Movie 2010) - IMDb Tagline: What made her different made her exceptional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovo-lacto_vegetarianism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...dified_soybean

Edit: Temple Grandin's TED talk:

Nice shirt.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-22-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Old 11-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Supposedly, meat is an expensive part of one's diet, and causing martian warming or whatever. I have been trying out vegetarian meals and have thus far found every single one to be unsatisfying.
If you're really interested in eating more vegetarian meals, from practical rather than religious motivations, I'd suggest getting cookbooks from other cultures where meat isn't a big part of the diet. Indian cooking will have a lot of meatless (and no ersatz meats) recipies that are pretty tasty. Most Asian cooking uses a lot less meat than typical western cooking does.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 12:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I've seen some folks turning to vegetarianism as an attempt of virtue-signalling, even here in Rio Grande do Sul where beef is part of our culture. Anyway, I actually prefer fish, since I lived in cities with a fishing tradition and got quite used to that, even though the higher organic matter to protein conversion ratio is obviously another good argument from the "sustainability" standpoint and eventually might lead fish to become more cost-effective than beef in some years. When it comes to vegetable protein sources, I usually eat corn, beans, and chickpeas, but I don't use it as a replacement for meat.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Reducing beef and pork in the diet and subsituting plant based protein from beans is the number 1 thing anyone can do to become less energy intensive and more sustainable. More than putting new windows on an old house or driving an eco car. Ocean fishery stocks have crashed to dangerous levels so they are ecologically very costly also. It takes 7 years for a tuna to reach sexual maturity. Chickens and eggs grow quickly so are much more efficient to farm and they probably aren't too aware that they are enslaved.
But adequate protein intake is crucial for optimum fitness. At least 1.5 grams per lean body kg per day.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-26-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do you eat your meat plain? .
Do you eat your bread untoasted with nothing on it?

I like to think of bread as a butter carrier, I like the topping not the bread.

Meat if cooked properly over charcoal with some apple/cherry/hickory chips thrown in does not even require salt, charred outside , raw inside.

But I like salt and pepper (at a minimum) on all my foods veggies need butter, but the above requires very little of either.

Personally though I do not agree with beef production or pricing in the US.
Beef should be very expensive.

Goats, sheep, rabbits, chicken, carp and invertebrates with occasional game like elk , venison and fish should be the meat sourced here.

But old racism believing the old poor untaught ethnic farmers were the only ones to grow geese, sheep and goats has traveled with us over a hundred years to make it so mericans are huge prudes that can’t eat anything beyond beef.

Last edited by rmay635703; 11-23-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I regularly eat meat and bread without additional flavoring, or will put carne asada or steak seasoning on meat, vegetables, or whatever. I need to see if Costco still has rasperry chipotle sauce, I used to put that on everything from pancakes to steaks.

I just watched this video: https://youtu.be/wQg6HBLWHR4

Unfortunately, win10 has hijacked my laptop for the foreseeable future, so I watched that at 1x on my phone. He indicates that making tofurkey was easier than hunting a turkey (and probably removing the feathers, etc.), but he ended up with something far smaller. He also lived as a vegan for a couple of weeks and felt surprised how easy it was to do, but felt vasty disappointed when he attempted to satisfy cravings with pseudo meat. He liked the tofurkey, but said he was not sure he would eat it instead of turkey.

He said he was happy his diet was over and he could return to "real food."

The comments were cancer.

I was surprised that seitan was a main ingredient of tofurkey. I wondered about The King of Random (or his substitute Nate) using his chicken mold with seitan, but that definitely would not be vegan...

I remember mentioning aquaponics to my then-girlfriend and she said "You mean hydroponics." I never understand people saying "You mean..."

They are never right. When I said I always wanted to try a flamethrower on snow I did not mean a snowblower!

Boring!

Yeah, it turns out that flameflowers are completely ineffective on snow.

Lame.

Anyway, since I learned of aquaponics several years ago I have wanted my own setup. My Army friend in Oregon used to have one. Perhaps I could take my niece there. I made an attempt to visit my friend when we took a trip up there recently, but then I saw my niece, and I wanted as much time with her as possible.

I passed up on an opportunitity to see my nephews, niece, and other family to spend time with the 90% vegan.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it turns out that flameflowers are completely ineffective on snow.
I learn something every day.