Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jogger Fogger - '07 GMC Sierra SLT
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
I think there's a little confusion here about the cost of making biodiesel vs. ethanol.
Making biodiesel or WVO from free used cooking oil is very cheap. $1/gal?

Making the un-used cooking oil is much more expensive.

If you had to make the oil from raw products, then refine it to biodiesel, then it would be $8+/gal.

To answer the OP's question about MPG and biodiesel; yes, it's not as good as petro diesel. I've seen 1-5% worse and 4-10% worse. Lots of variables there. I've been running B100 for 6 months now and B99 for 2 years before that and my driving style blocks any good study, but the difference is marginal. I know marginal is what hypermiling is all about, but once I started making my own fuel, I cared less about MPG and more about that cool smell that followed my truck around.

-Kevin

The Following User Says Thank You to joggerfogger For This Useful Post:
rubicon209 (04-05-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Greasy - '82 Volkswagen Rabbit L

The Red Ranger - '86 Ford Ranger Turbo Diesel
I have been considering making biodiesel from WVO for a while now since the price of producing it far outweighs any slight reduction in mileage I may see. My main concern is this:

Does biodiesel have any effect on the lifespan of the injection pump?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jogger Fogger - '07 GMC Sierra SLT
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_dodge View Post
Does biodiesel have any effect on the lifespan of the injection pump?
In short: No.

Biodiesel doesn't hurt the IP (injection pump) or any of the parts of the whole vehicle. Byproducts like soap, unconverted oil, and leftover chemicals from the reaction or process do hurt the IP. There's about 5 tests that I do along the way during the process to insure that I have the best possible fuel, and it's easy to see how some of these tests are never done or neglected along the way.

If you have a 1982 Merc 240D, then you'll be fine with sub-standard fuel. If you have a $40k modern diesel with common rail injection make sure you're doing it right. My truck will produce 26,000 psi in the fuel rail and has 4 timed injection moments during each cycle. This is part of the reason it's so quiet, efficient, and clean. (as are most modern diesels).

Substandard production is the real reason behind failures. I admit that I spent years reading about biodiesel before I designed and built my processor. But I love it.

-Kevin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joggerfogger For This Useful Post:
allen_dodge (04-05-2012), drmiller100 (04-08-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Greasy - '82 Volkswagen Rabbit L

The Red Ranger - '86 Ford Ranger Turbo Diesel
This has got me curious, and after looking into it a bit more it seems that biodiesel is actually better for your injection pump than regular diesel. Apparently, the more they reduce sulfur content the more it reduces the lubricity, which doesn't bode well for the ultra low sulfur diesel they have now. Just one more reason for me to start making my own.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How much of the cost advantage of waste vegetable oil or home made biodiesel come from the lack of taxes, and markups at the pump on a per btu basis?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I drop about 1 MPG with bio-D but the engine runs much smoother.
I've been told by mechanics it cleans deposits out as well.
Ancedotally I've read on the internet it can swell pump head seals, stopping small leaks.
I accept the MPG loss for the overall enviromental benefit. I think they process it from soy around here.locally grown is always better :-)

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!

Last edited by JasonG; 04-09-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
I have a friend at a local fuel supplier. He was mixing bio with regular diesel to deliver to a customer. The bio hose was sort of gunky on the outside, he said they needed the right hose, that this rubber didnt stand up to the 100% biodiesel.

Did you have to change anything on your vehicle (hoses?). His hose may have been a cheap one I dont know.

I dont know what they made the biodiesel out of either, maybe that makes a difference?

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure .

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joggerfogger View Post
In short: No.

Biodiesel doesn't hurt the IP (injection pump) or any of the parts of the whole vehicle. Byproducts like soap, unconverted oil, and leftover chemicals from the reaction or process do hurt the IP. There's about 5 tests that I do along the way during the process to insure that I have the best possible fuel, and it's easy to see how some of these tests are never done or neglected along the way.

-Kevin
this is the entire key to biodiesel.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Schneewittchen - '85 Saab 900 turbo 16V 4dr sedan
Biodiesel is aggressive and will destroy seals, hoses etc. I once had my fuel lines destroyed within a single tank...

However, there are materials that can cope with biodiesel. If you're lucky, your car is equipped with those. If you're not, then you have to replace fuel hoses and seals in the injection system with their more resistant counterparts (look for "fluoro rubber", "fluoro caoutchouc" or the trade name "viton").
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
I think that is what he said they needed now that you jogged my memory "vitron".

While I was thinking, I wondered if the commercial stuff isnt filtered and rinsed as good. The gunk had a soapy look to it and it was an old rubber hose, not new.

I am curious for my tractor, but I only burn 20-30 gallons a year in it. Its a newer John Deere 5103 so maybe it has the better hoses.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure .

Reply  Post New Thread