Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clio - '03 Renault Clio 1.5dCi
90 day: 48.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
The European fuel numbers are hard to beat. But it is possible.

Take a look at my car.

Best tank of this summer is 5,2l/100km.
1302km on the odo with around 72l to fill up.
Aha I am going to give it a shot! 4.2l/100km is what I need to hit the combined rating... which would give me a 1100km range on 46-47 litres (tank capacity is 50).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
My Kangoo has EPAS, everything continues to work while EOC (the odo does loose miles though so I use GPS for that). The kill switch is really just for LHD vehicles where the ignition switch is on the right, so they have to kill the ignition and shift with the same hand. If the Clio is anything like the Kangoo, the wiring is extremely difficult to get at.

With a turbo diesel, EOC is probably not worth the savings vs potential risk of turbo damage. I used to EOC the T5 sometimes but only if the turbo had already been given a good chance to spool down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Exactly. That's why I only kill the engine when rolling to a red light, or when I know that I'll get close to 1 km of EOC (my record is 6km in the Alps). Shorter distances are just not worth it.
Thanks both - sounds like it probably won't be worth it...

I have just been looking at my semi-regular 38 mile commute. Just over 30 miles of it is motorway which I should be able to get pretty consistent cruising speeds on. The remainder of the miles have posted speed limits of 30, 40 and 50 - which I would be following where traffic allows.

Most of my motorway miles have been at around 70-75 up to now, unless traffic dictated less.

Focussing purely on that 30 mile section for a minute - If I cruise at 70-80mph (averaging 75) - I should cover 30 miles in 24 minutes.

If I cruise at 65-75 (averaging 70) it would take 25 minutes 43 seconds. At this speed, I would still be moving relatively well with the flow of traffic.

If I go for 60-70 (averaging 65), I would cover the distance in 27 minutes 42 seconds. This speed would be problematic because I would be moving faster than the lorries, but would be holding people up whilst overtaking them.

Finally, there is 55-65 (averaging 60) - It would take 30 minutes but would be a 'better' drive than the 60-70 option, because I would be cruising along with the HGVs (which would also encourage me to slow uphill and speed up down, as they do).

I intend to give the 60ish MPH option a go today, for the sake of leaving 5 minutes earlier, I could probably see a 20% improvement in MPG (rough guess from the 14% decrease in speed).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I used to to half that commute on the motorway, Honda civic 2.2 diesel...
A few observations.
80 mph cruise control, you spend most of your time slowing down and speeding up for those doing the speed limit... No go.
70mph you end up matching the traffic flow until the inside two lanes are blocked by slower vehicles. Which means changing speed again. No no.
The fastest mpg rout is to find a coach, they regularly do the full 70mph . Just latch onto the rear of the coach at a safe distance, you'll probably jump about 10mpg increase over the distance with a low loss of time
Next slowest is to tag onto a fast lorry (one that's overtaking other lorries) brilliant as long as the speed is high enough you can slot between lorries when they overtake.
That used to be the best most reliable option, with the lower speed also you could be nearer to gaining 15mpg over the trip.
The most efficient I found (from a base line of 50mpg)
Was to follow a car carrier fully loaded, the turbulence from them is huge so they literally open up a huge pocket of air for you to enjoy, that netted me +18 mpg.
Which in fact ended up being a better result than sitting behind a 53mph lorry...
Consistency is everything though.
The car is rated at 53mpg but the driving like a normal person in normal traffic you'd get 50mpg so that's my base
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Cheers

My car has the newer version of your engine. I suggest to do go for a partial grill block in the colder days because it warms up faster, improves aerodynamics and on slower runs the coolant stays at optimal temperature. You can semi block both the upper and lower openings.
I would advise against EOC and using too low viscosity eco oils or fully extended oil change intervals, these cars have very delicate turbos and engine bearings and it`s just not worth risking it.
As for aerodynamics the easiest thing is to check all underpan plastic covers are intact and maybe adding a small front air dam from black rubber. Vauxhall Astras use it and it does the job while being discreet and doesn`t shatter when it gets hit.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowglider View Post
Cheers

My car has the newer version of your engine. I suggest to do go for a partial grill block in the colder days because it warms up faster, improves aerodynamics and on slower runs the coolant stays at optimal temperature. You can semi block both the upper and lower openings.
I would advise against EOC and using too low viscosity eco oils or fully extended oil change intervals, these cars have very delicate turbos and engine bearings and it`s just not worth risking it.
As for aerodynamics the easiest thing is to check all underpan plastic covers are intact and maybe adding a small front air dam from black rubber. Vauxhall Astras use it and it does the job while being discreet and doesn`t shatter when it gets hit.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice - as mentioned above, I am not going to bother with EOC, and the oil I am using meets the manufacturers spec - I intend to change every 9-10k (much shorter than the official interval which I believe is 15 or 18k).

I am still not sure about a grill block, but like the idea of a possible air dam. Do you know where I can buy said black rubber from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrating_cake View Post
I used to to half that commute on the motorway, Honda civic 2.2 diesel...
A few observations.
80 mph cruise control, you spend most of your time slowing down and speeding up for those doing the speed limit... No go.
70mph you end up matching the traffic flow until the inside two lanes are blocked by slower vehicles. Which means changing speed again. No no.
The fastest mpg rout is to find a coach, they regularly do the full 70mph . Just latch onto the rear of the coach at a safe distance, you'll probably jump about 10mpg increase over the distance with a low loss of time
Next slowest is to tag onto a fast lorry (one that's overtaking other lorries) brilliant as long as the speed is high enough you can slot between lorries when they overtake.
That used to be the best most reliable option, with the lower speed also you could be nearer to gaining 15mpg over the trip.
The most efficient I found (from a base line of 50mpg)
Was to follow a car carrier fully loaded, the turbulence from them is huge so they literally open up a huge pocket of air for you to enjoy, that netted me +18 mpg.
Which in fact ended up being a better result than sitting behind a 53mph lorry...
Consistency is everything though.
The car is rated at 53mpg but the driving like a normal person in normal traffic you'd get 50mpg so that's my base
I tried following lorries on my travels today - but most were too slow as you mention. I ended up averaging 54mph on the way in (no traffic) but was rarely content behind a lorry because I was DWL - scrubbing speed on climbs and gaining on descents.

I have followed coaches in the past, they are definitely the unicorn of vehicles to follow because they often travel at 65-70 and displace a fair bit of air as you said. I hadn't thought about car carriers... I will look out for both.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Car carriers are amazing.
I generally tend to pick a driver and follow on the motorway, let them punch the hole in the air, a nice van or a 4x4 and just sit at the normal distance away from them and you'll see an increase in mpg.
Or anything with the I'm limited to 70mph sticker on the back lol
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also a while ago it used to be trendy to use leguna splitters. Easy to fit measure your bumper width and pop to the scrap yard, you'll probably pay a fiver for something suitable
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrating_cake View Post
Also a while ago it used to be trendy to use leguna splitters. Easy to fit measure your bumper width and pop to the scrap yard, you'll probably pay a fiver for something suitable
Been looking at this splitter/air dam - Genuine Skoda Fabia Front Bumper Splitter / Spoiler Part No. 5J08070619B9 | eBay

Although for a Skoda Fabia, there are a lot of reports online that it is a great match for a Clio. I know full DIY would probably be a little bit cheaper but this is still only £16 delivered (or likely £11-£12 if I call my local Skoda dealer).

They look pretty good - but it appears to only be an inch deep - I am not sure what noticeable MPG benefit there would be.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGudAmI View Post
I am still not sure about bumping the tyre pressures regarding grip/road holding and wear (keeping it even).
That's what most people think, but research showed that this need not be the case. This should sort the grip issue:
"Inflation pressure does not affect grip": Autospeed article.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
That's what most people think, but research showed that this need not be the case. This should sort the grip issue:
"Inflation pressure does not affect grip": Autospeed article.
Interesting - might try moving the pressure around and see how it affects things first hand...
Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How much negative camber does the Clio run? It's around that age they started putting lots of negative camber on the rear of literally anything! Over pressure and negative camber will ruin your tires in no time!
11,000 miles from my last set, 3/4 of the tyre was still plenty legal, inner edge was like a slick!
I didn't like those tyres at all so I didn't mind, but Any gain in my mpg was lost with the cost of 2 new tyres.

Reply  Post New Thread