Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, I plan on a curvature, haven't decided yet as to how I want to proceed with it. I could do a 1inch in the middle, or a inch at the 1/3 mark. What would you suggest for the curving? The paper (which I found in my tool box at work) shows the line at 8 degrees, with a measure of 7.6875" off the tailgate. - Vajra

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
curving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra View Post
Yes, I plan on a curvature, haven't decided yet as to how I want to proceed with it. I could do a 1inch in the middle, or a inch at the 1/3 mark. What would you suggest for the curving? The paper (which I found in my tool box at work) shows the line at 8 degrees, with a measure of 7.6875" off the tailgate. - Vajra
For decades I've used a 20' length of 1" schedule-40 PVC pipe as kind of a bendable french curve.
I'll sand-bag in on the roof and pull it down to a few reference points clamped onto the vehicle,letting the pipe establish a continuous contour.
If you take measurements each 12",you can establish your bulkhead stations.
You can do the same with plan-taper by 3M blue-taping the pipe to the vehicle.
Not perfection,but as Steve Howard says,"close enough for jazz."
Vajra (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Eggs-ackly. Pay attention to how the line exits the roof. The aerocap may need to stand proud a little to line up for the least disruption.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Vajra (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Well that didn't take forever.....

Here's my analysis using the draw program in MS Word, not crazy precise, but within 1/8" for sure.

And here's the chart laying out how high you want to be in the centerline of your cap starting at 23.5" High going to 8".

Since your cab slants forward about 4", the "Cap" dimension starts at the top front and is the 0 mark. The "Bed" is how far back on the bed to go if you pull the tape hooked on the front of your bed it's the distance along the yellow line if you start at the front of the little block there. Height is, well, the height, in inches...the good stuff, follow those numbers and it'll give you a great curve shape. The change numbers are just there as sorta proof that I'm not out to lunch with the measurements.

If you're wondering why it's so dern high at the top front, it's because of the perspective of the photo. If I could take a side picture of a Dodge 2500 from 200 feet away with the camera at 6 feet high and in line with the bed/cab area, then it would look like you'd want. This has all the dimensions/proportions set based on your info.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-03-2016), BamZipPow (02-04-2016), slowmover (09-26-2016), t vago (02-04-2016), Vajra (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Greetings guys! Thanks for the replies. Yup, I tried everywhere locally and no one carries anything 1x2 in a good 12 ft length. No one I know is willing to rip a 2x4 for me except my brother, his saw is currently blocked in. Don't ask... all I had to do was go there to see the wall of stuff that isn't his. So PVC it is... I know I can get a nice curve out of it so not to worried. I do have a way to measure the points, I just have to use a chop saw and some 1x4s to make a bed rail mount area. Although, a co-worker/engineer told me he feels if I was to use 3/16 aluminum, once cut to shape, it would make a good surface for the "clamps" to attach to the truck bed rails. So who knows. I still plan on using foam insulation for the shape and some of it for "insulation". I am looking at having a jointed area with the hatch locking down into the frame for it, followed by a window hatch to serve as a camper. I do plan on vents, possibly side windows. I have strong arms (like a good dozen) I could use for the main hatch.

ChazInMT you amaze me. I couldn't get that out of MS word, never mind Corel Paintshop Pro Cx4. This weekend, I will try to get you photos. I have a nice 12MP Canon SX50IS that I love to use, as well as a tripod that gets up to almost 5.5" maybe a tad more. You want that picture at 200 feet away? I can do that, should weather permit. I can get any other distance, side, etc. Let me know what you want, and I will do my best to get it for you! I'd love to see what you could do with it. Thanks for the information you provided. The curve looks very good, even better on a better photo! You must have some very good editing skills!

Home early from class, just lecture and no lab tonight! Got my homework done and I get some extra Zzzzz's. -Vajra
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alright, here are some much better side views. I couldn't get 200ft away without obstructions, or stupid people. Who knew taking a picture of your truck, is so suspicious, it gets the cops called on you? Sad. By the time I was done being interrogated, it was to dark to get any good pictures even under parking lot lights. I didn't have much time today because of other things, so this is what I got in my drive way. What pictures I did get the other day, didn't turn out so well. I was far to low. Here I am a bit high, though I am able to get more of the shape of the cab. At least at home, I could use the porch to my advantage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyTrkAero2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	19601   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyTrkAero3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	19602   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyTrkAreo1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	19603  
Old 02-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How long did that... experience... last?

"Sir, we had a report of a man taking suspicious pictures of his own truck."

"Well, I am a man, and this is my truck, but why is it suspicious?'

"Sir, we are doing the questioning."
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Vajra (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
So, Yeaaaahhh. I sort of cut and pasteded the thing I did earlier, and just lining things up to scale you can see this proved out to be the right shape. Don't even get me started on cops sticking their noses where they don't belong.

Take a look.

Again, it is the same drawing, no adjustments to the Height & Width ratios, just the different angle of photo makes it look a whole bunch more like it should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-09-2016), Vajra (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Are you going to lean the front bulkhead forward to fit the back of the cab?
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Vajra (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How long? To long... It was getting dark out already, light was a fading. I thought I could still get some good pictures. As for the police, it was enough of a bother. He questioned, after I stated I was taking a picture of my truck for picture editing I was planning on using for a project, if it really was my truck. He asked for ID, my proof of insurance. He wanted to inspect my camera and search my truck. I said no. Which end up with him not allowing me to return to my vehicle because he had to call for "back up". His reasoning is he was worried what was in the truck, that I might have a gun. The other cop that showed up soon after he called, knows me a bit. Use to run into each other at night when I worked third shift, usually getting gas, food, or on my way through town. Super great cop. I explained my side of things. He asked the other cop some questions, came back pissed, apologized for the other cops behavior. The only good thing is he chewed out the cop. I don't know exactly what was said, but it was blunt and to the point. Still, yeah, that experience was not fun. I am thinking almost 40 minutes. Nothing better than playing 50 questions with a lesser human. I can tell you when he asked me if my camera was a real camera and I told him it was a bomb capable of cracking the planet completely in half, it was clear he had no sense of humor. His face went blank for a second. What happened to common sense, or critical thinking? Simple logic?

Freebeard, That is what I planning on. The hard part is the back that the back of the cab is curved, window is also curved out. I thought about making the leading edges form closely to the cab profile with room to move, but inside the front of the cap, make it indented to allow more clearance. I want a window there also, as well as some vents. I have thought about using a oven to heat poly-carbonate or lexan till it sags a bit to make the cap window. But, I am not sure yet. Any suggestions, observations or ideas you care to share?

Chaz... it looks great. Thanks for your efforts. Now the question is, the sides.. do I taper them also, or just go with a increasing radius to flatten the rounding edges as they reach the tailgate? -Vajra

Reply  Post New Thread