Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New member, California, 1997 civic HX

Greetings Ecomodder community. Came across your forum while googleing for tech info. I'm coming from a 2006 accord 4cyl 5mt which would pull around 40mpg on highway trips by keeping RPMS to 2300ish (55mph), or 25mpg when driven angry. Made a change recently and am now the proud owner of a 1997 civic HX. I've been drooling over Honda Hx / VX models since I first heard about their lean-burn tech (~15 years ago). So now that these cars have depreciated into nothingness I jumped on the opportunity to pick up a good runner with some issues for under a grand. Looking forward to sharing my experiences.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! And good luck with your "new" HX.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Forgot to mention, If anyone is tackling a modification/repair and needs a wiring diagram or the like PM me.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome! What kind of issues does the car have?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Welcome! What kind of issues does the car have?
A few cosmetic issues, some title/reg. hoops to jump through, also gotta pull the cluster and make sure the check engine bulb is actually in there and plugged in (no CEL w/KOEO). No codes, fingers crossed that it passes sniffer test. Car runs great aside for a bit of synchro grind on the 2-3 upshift, gonna put some friction modified trans fluid this weekend and see if it mellows out.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel831 View Post
A few cosmetic issues, some title/reg. hoops to jump through, also gotta pull the cluster and make sure the check engine bulb is actually in there and plugged in (no CEL w/KOEO). No codes, fingers crossed that it passes sniffer test. Car runs great aside for a bit of synchro grind on the 2-3 upshift, gonna put some friction modified trans fluid this weekend and see if it mellows out.
I have the 3rd gear synchro grind too. Been that way since the transmission swap. I think I put a heavier oil in, IIRC. Problem did not go away completely. But as long as Ishift mellow style and don't race/cram it, it is symptomless really. I am testing a CAT cleaning method. I'll know soon if it worked to improve my CAT i hope.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Let me know how the cat cleaning goes. I saw something like that mentioned on "eric the car guy" and will probably go that route if neccessary.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you need to shift at high RPM double clutch and it wont grind

Reply  Post New Thread