Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #191 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Gotcha, thank you sir. So the "thick cold air" actually acts as continually resistance against the car, versus warmer air?

From my limited readings here/stufy of hypermiling, I just assumed that the ONLY reason winter weather was effecting hypermilers was b/c it took the car longer to warm up and, thusly, get into open loop. But that's only part of it, huh?

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
Yes, you are correct about colder warm-ups hurting your total MPG of your commute. But here are some others things that hurt your MPG in winter. First, think of all the amp draw from headlights and heater blower fan in winter that you don't have in the summer. This causes the alternator to draw much more power from the engine in winter.

This is not in any way scientific, but my experience tells me the following things can cost as much as 5MPG during a 50 mile commute:

running head lights
driving in moderate rain
running heater blower on high
10mph or higher cross wind or head wind
air temps below 25 degrees

My current plan to try and minimize the amp draws and cold warm ups is to add a water and oil pre-heat system and to do a alternator delete with a large AH battery back-up. I hope to have it up and running on the red 92 VX in a couple of weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (07-23-2015), OG VX (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #193 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by The donkey CRX View Post
Yes, you are correct about colder warm-ups hurting your total MPG of your commute. But here are some others things that hurt your MPG in winter. First, think of all the amp draw from headlights and heater blower fan in winter that you don't have in the summer. This causes the alternator to draw much more power from the engine in winter.

This is not in any way scientific, but my experience tells me the following things can cost as much as 5MPG during a 50 mile commute:

running head lights
driving in moderate rain
running heater blower on high
10mph or higher cross wind or head wind
air temps below 25 degrees

My current plan to try and minimize the amp draws and cold warm ups is to add a water and oil pre-heat system and to do a alternator delete with a large AH battery back-up. I hope to have it up and running on the red 92 VX in a couple of weeks.
Excellent post. Thanks friend. I checked the plugs, they don't look too good. I'll post pics. Def want you guys opinion on them, as I'm no "plug reading" expert, by any means.

I did manage to squeak out a few 58+ trips over the last few days, which were promising.

I'll make another update post soon. Some pretty sweet stuff has been going down on the project.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
ecoTex (11-24-2014), The donkey CRX (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #194 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Some pretty sweet stuff has been going down on the project.
This! Can't wait!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #195 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
I did manage to squeak out a few 58+ trips over the last few days, which were promising.

I'll make another update post soon. Some pretty sweet stuff has been going down on the project.

Crap. You've still got my best tank beat by a bunch, and I don't have the donkey's luxury of time to go at my highest mpg speed. He's almost untouchable! My feet feel heavy too, sometimes
That's bad for the mpgs.
And the weather still works against us. ..

Should build a teleporter insteadHa!

Keep it up dude. I'm sure you have something cool cooking

Thanks,
Victor

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #196 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie Girl

Ecovox - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 30.44 mpg (US)

The Dragon - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie SLT
What a fantastic Project. You are inspiring me to go harder on my newly acquired '92 VX. What fun!!! Thanks for all the pix, info and great ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to leety For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #197 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
Crap. You've still got my best tank beat by a bunch, and I don't have the donkey's luxury of time to go at my highest mpg speed. He's almost untouchable! My feet feel heavy too, sometimes
That's bad for the mpgs.
And the weather still works against us. ..

Should build a teleporter insteadHa!

Keep it up dude. I'm sure you have something cool cooking

Thanks,
Victor
Haha, thanks bro. And, we'll considering your about 1000% above EPA, I think you win on most fronts around here

Heavy foot...get up earlier dude! That's my problem, atleast. I've found that their is a direct relationship between how many times I hit the snooze button in the morning versus how heavy my foot is Lately, with this cold weather, that snooze button has been a good bit more enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leety View Post
What a fantastic Project. You are inspiring me to go harder on my newly acquired '92 VX. What fun!!! Thanks for all the pix, info and great ideas.
Thanks so much Leety, and welcome to the site sir! This has been my most enjoyable project to date, by far. I think my RSX was my "coolest" car, and best all-around performance/daily machine. But, the goals for this project are so much different, and it's just a more enjoyable/rewarding build. Looking forward to seeing what your next fuel log entry brings forth. LMK if it's still low. I think the biggest factors hurting you right now are probably: short commute so no lean burn; and/or CA ECU so no lean burn; and/or general gunk build up in the EGR, TB, and intake system. Also, have you replaced the filters (fuel and air) and done a tune up (plugs/wires/cap/button)? Also, of course, how you drive the VX is much different than any other car. You have to keep an egg under your foot. It feels like the little, most under-powered car in the universe, at first. Like, I'm going to DIE getting on the interestate in this thing. But, once you get used to driving it, going it's pace, the economy numbers will start to shift in your favor dramatically. If you try to make it fit in a "normal speed" bubble with every other car, it will drive like crap and also give you terrible mpg stats. We'll, if you think 35 mpg is terrible, ha! Also, I've found the "slow life" a good bit more relaxing than I had during my tenure wit the 9000 RPM redline on the B16 EK, or 8200 RPM redline on the RSX. Both also got around 27 mpg...

Be back soon with an "update".

Last edited by OG VX; 11-23-2014 at 11:44 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
leety (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #198 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 11/23: Lil' bit of I.C.E - Part One

So, after working a good bit on the mechanics and aero, and being that I spend about 3 hours in my Civic each workday, I figured it was time to make some upgrades in the audio department. When I say "upgrades", I mean from the stock headunit and the one working speaker in the car (right rear). It was a mighty little speaker though!

I have been on the hunt for a clean, practical headunit that was about 5-10 years old, had a lot of power potential, wasn't junk, looked sharp, and (most importantly, really) had an Amber light up at night, to match the rest of the dash.

While on my trip to Lexington, NC last weekend, I stopped at Lexington Auto Salvage to pick up a rip-free seat. Turned out to not be rip-free, and the wrong color. Nice. BUT, they gave me a very sweet deal on this JVC KD-LH910 head unit. It came out of a 97 TL, so it even had the correct aftermarket wiring harness and single din metal cage. Plays CD's, has an SD slot behind the panel, detachable faceplate. Even has the ability to add an aux-in with a $5 eBay piece. Sub-in connection. Multi-color light up options. Very cool! Only problem, the silver as it came from the factory was a bit too light, and I wanted it to match the dash properly. So, I soldered all the aftermarket connections, got those ready, and painted the trim piece and face plate to match the dash. Came out great, I think!

Let it dry in the sun at work on a deep-dish Little Ceasers box. Ghettoo!!! But, I had to paint at work during my lunch break, as it has been below freezing over here in NC every morning/evening this week.

Finished and installed:

..and my favorite shots.

BOOM

Moving on, decided to put some speakers back in the front doors, as the OEM paper cones had fallen off by the time I purchased the vehicle. Yes, they physically fell off the magnets/bases.

Here's what I picked up. Only the best for my ride: Dual brand...from WalMart. It's the number one brand for families with two kids, on single-income, survey's say.

Back when I refurbished the door cards, I removed the speakers and saved them, as I wanted to re-use their OEM connectors when adding aftermarket speakers.

First I drilled off the wiring connectors from the old factory speaker...shells.

The old factory stuff, high quality, 30W's, wowza!

Here's where 30W's goes...

The new Dual-goodness!

In the car now and sounding great. Next up is the rear speakers, which I plan to replace later today, if time allows. 6.5's for the rear, Dual as well. Yeah baby!

Plans in the immediate future to continue in the I.C.E. department:

- Install Avital 3100 alarm with keyless entry door-pulls
- Stealth kill switch
- Bass Tube or small sub box in the rear
- Build new floor for rear of hatch, carpeted, w/ holders for sub/tube, a tool kit, first aid, a quart of oil, and groceries/gear.

Also, this is a completely (seemingly) ridiculous "upgrade", but as an avid coffee fan driving a car with very-less-than-stellar cupholders, this is a huge bonus. Been looking for the perfect coffee mug that fits the small EG cupholder design. Found this at WalMart last night for $4. I'll put the label pics for other CX/VX owners here on the site. It's a perfect, no-hassle fit in our EG cupholders, and holds coffee warm for 3 hours.

To finish up this post, here's a couple pics of my spark plugs. All of them look like this. Can any plug readers out there diagnose? Any clues here to possible power loss of late (other than cold weather)? The fuel pump was bad, I'm pretty sure. Do these pics indicate an extended lean condition, by chance?

Found this at Wally as well. Worth the expense, for those running ethanol fuel? About $21.

Thanks for EcoTuning in!

Last edited by OG VX; 11-23-2014 at 12:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
leety (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #199 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Very nice as usual! I actually got pretty lucky on the sound system when I bought my VX. One of the previous owner obviously went through it because it sounds really nice. Way better than the system in my SVO.

I'm still waiting for that kammback...
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #200 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
Very nice as usual! I actually got pretty lucky on the sound system when I bought my VX. One of the previous owner obviously went through it because it sounds really nice. Way better than the system in my SVO.

I'm still waiting for that kammback...
Hahaha! Thanks bro. Yeah, you and me both brother! The lack of rear-end aero, combined with me still running USDM front corner lights...Oh, the things that bug us about our cars! But hey, it's what keeps our projects driving along. ha...
As stated, I'll be rolling with a Donkey CRX rear end. So, the Kammback will be added when all of that stuff is added. Look for such additions at the onset of 2015. Just afterwhich, the car will go for paint to finish up the exterior. I'll be using nutserts and anodized washers/SS bolts to mount up the new aero, so paint will need to go on just after adding to protect against any rust that may ensue after adding the nutserts.

Carbon Fiber hydro-dipped wheel covers will go on about the same time as well.

Reply  Post New Thread