Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #211 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Hello all, Happy Thanksgiving! I appreciate the insight on the plugs.

Thankfully, my VX has been running "back to normal" over these last few warmer days. I also realized at my last fill up that my MPGuino was incorrectly calibrated by my last adjustments. So much so, that it was off by 5 mpg at fill up. Said I had 50 mpg, but actually achieved 55mpg for the tank. I beat my record last tank for most miles on a tank. 449.8 miles, filled up with 8.12 gallons of gas. I filled up this go around with 93 octane and immediately saw a nice increase. I beat my record going home from work yesterday afternoon! It was a very streamlined, low traffic trip, due to the holiday. 49 degrees outside. Ran 68.2 mpg on a 36.2 mile trip!

For the winter, I am driving the family around on the weekends in the VX, which beats the pants off our 98 F150. So, my tank numbers are going to look really crappy in comparison to my work-week trip numbers. But, we are saving some serious money.

Have a great time with your families this weekend, and drive safe all.
Nice! I'm too lazy to look, but what tires are you running? I really didn't believe they made that much of a difference until I got off my 185/65R14 no name brand tires to 165/65R14 potentza Re92's. On the LOW end I gained 8mpg. On the high end it's 15. Not to mention I'm driving 10mph faster now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #212 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
nice work, bro! happy Thanksgiving!

thanks,
Victor
Thanks Victor, You as well my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Nice! I'm too lazy to look, but what tires are you running? I really didn't believe they made that much of a difference until I got off my 185/65R14 no name brand tires to 165/65R14 potentza Re92's. On the LOW end I gained 8mpg. On the high end it's 15. Not to mention I'm driving 10mph faster now.
Wow, that's a crazy difference!

I'm running the LRR tires that came on the car:
Michelin Green X 175/70R13

What do you think about those? Would I benefit from moving to the Potenza RE92's?
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #213 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Thanks Victor, You as well my friend!

Wow, that's a crazy difference!

I'm running the LRR tires that came on the car:
Michelin Green X 175/70R13

What do you think about those? Would I benefit from moving to the Potenza RE92's?
From my understanding, Re92's are king, literally no tire on the market is better. But you're on 13" rims so tbh, you would have to up to either run Honda civic HX rims, which are what I'm rolling on, or insight rims, but I'm unsure if 175/70 on 13" are smaller width than 165/65 on 14". Further research is needed.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Re92's were 5LB less PER TIRE vs what I had. So I cut 20lb total of rotational mass. You would have to weigh your current setup, and then see how much HX or insights rims with RE92'S weigh (about 23lb give or take a pound). If you're going to be adding even 3lb per tire, would it really be worth it? I don't think so. Who knows. Too bad you don't live close to me, that would be a fun afternoon project.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #214 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dino - '93 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 43.65 mpg (US)

White Shadow - '15 Toyota Prius C Two
90 day: 50.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
... but I'm unsure if 175/70 on 13" are smaller width than 165/65 on 14". Further research is needed...
According to Tire Size Calculator the width on the 165/65r14 is .3" smaller than the 175/70r13. Not sure if that would make very much difference, I would think that the tire design would be more important than that. I'm currently looking to get some LRR tires for my VX but am not impressed with the selection available for 13s. Hopefully I can scoop up some insight rims shortly.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #215 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
From my understanding, Re92's are king, literally no tire on the market is better. But you're on 13" rims so tbh, you would have to up to either run Honda civic HX rims, which are what I'm rolling on, or insight rims, but I'm unsure if 175/70 on 13" are smaller width than 165/65 on 14". Further research is needed.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Re92's were 5LB less PER TIRE vs what I had. So I cut 20lb total of rotational mass. You would have to weigh your current setup, and then see how much HX or insights rims with RE92'S weigh (about 23lb give or take a pound). If you're going to be adding even 3lb per tire, would it really be worth it? I don't think so. Who knows. Too bad you don't live close to me, that would be a fun afternoon project.
According to tire rack the re92's are only 13lbs versus the michelins being 17lbs! That means any weight advantage the vx wheels have over the hx wheels doesn't really matter based on these wheel choices. It would be interesting to test... I'm not too far from you wolf (Orange County), maybe once my vx is running good we can test this. I was planning on getting a set of the michelins for my vx wheels anyway.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=665SR4RE92
Old 11-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #216 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
According to tire rack the re92's are only 13lbs versus the michelins being 17lbs! That means any weight advantage the vx wheels have over the hx wheels doesn't really matter based on these wheel choices. It would be interesting to test... I'm not too far from you wolf (Orange County), maybe once my vx is running good we can test this. I was planning on getting a set of the michelins for my vx wheels anyway.

Wow. I did not ever notice the weight difference. Compared to the 13" Defenders, the 14" RE92s are not only 4lbs lighter, they are also 10mm thinner. And the RE92s are cheaper at the moment, by $24 for the set of four right now. But the UTQG rating of the RE92s (260) is less than a third of the Defenders (820). That could mean you'll need three times as many RE92s to go the same distance the Defenders will go. That's a rate of an extra $600 for the same distance treadwear. In terms of cash it's probably the defenders that save you money.

And hey, I am in Orange County too. Down near San Clemente. Still love the idea of a Southern Cali meetup somewhere.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #217 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post

I'm up for that, I'll come to you if you got the tools and stuff. Just hit me up when your ready. My phone number is 1-(760)-596-9927. This isn't just for bluesteel, anyone is welcome to text me, just make sure you tell me who you are lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Wow. I did not ever notice the weight difference. Compared to the 13" Defenders, the 14" RE92s are not only 4lbs lighter, they are also 10mm thinner. And the RE92s are cheaper at the moment, by $24 for the set of four right now. But the UTQG rating of the RE92s (260) is less than a third of the Defenders (820). That could mean you'll need three times as many RE92s to go the same distance the Defenders will go. That's a rate of an extra $600 for the same distance treadwear. In terms of cash it's probably the defenders that save you money.

And hey, I am in Orange County too. Down near San Clemente. Still love the idea of a Southern Cali meetup somewhere.
Idk, I don't care what the treadwear is, I will never move off of Re92's unless they stop making them lol. And a meet sounds awesome. I can come down anytime.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #218 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 11/28: Stealth Exhaust + Red "H" Centercaps + Photoshoot

Hello all, thanks for all of the tire-talk. Good stuff. I took care of some exterior items today, and then did a photo shoot. This ugly exhaust tip has been killing me since day one.

There she is, all ugly and stuff...Like an eel trying to escape.

Eww...

Cut it down with a cut-off wheel, grinded it a bit, painted it with this stuff...

Fixed.

While I was at it, I jacked the car up, sprayed oven degreaser all over, hosed off, let it dry, then painted everything black with Walmart flat-back $.99 paint. Turned out...black.

I then took some OEM Milano Red touch-up paint that I had left over from O'Riley's, and used it to paint the "H"'s on the center caps of the VX wheels. Came out nice, I think. Give's it that "Type R" look, on a type-me budget.

I'll be back with a photo shoot post soon. I have to edit the pics. Red H's will be included therein.

Thanks for EcoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 11-28-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #219 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Update 11/28: Stealth Exhaust + Red "H" Centercaps + Photoshoot

Hello all, thanks for all of the tire-talk. Good stuff. I took care of some exterior items today, and then did a photo shoot. This ugly exhaust tip has been killing me since day one.

There she is, all ugly and stuff...Like an eel trying to escape.

Eww...

Cut it down with a cut-off wheel, grinded it a bit, painted it with this stuff...

Fixed.

While I was at it, I jacked the car up, sprayed oven degreaser all over, hosed off, let it dry, then painted everything black with Walmart flat-back $.99 paint. Turned out...black.

I then took some OEM Milano Red touch-up paint that I had left over from O'Riley's, and used it to paint the "H"'s on the center caps of the VX wheels. Came out nice, I think. Give's it that "Type R" look, on a type-me budget.

I'll be back with a photo shoot post soon. I have to edit the pics. Red H's will be included therein.

Thanks for EcoTuning in!
Sweet! I'm glad you're coming along fast with this car, how many miles are on it now?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #220 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
First Official Photo Shoot: 173,000 miles on Odometer

As always, thanks for EcoTuning in!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-29-2014), jedi_sol (11-29-2014), vrmouseyd15b (11-29-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread