Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
And yes I got a speeding ticket doing 93MPH in the 63HP 1991 Festiva, (no I wasn't pulling a trailer at time of ticket!)

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Forgive me, but you sound inexperienced. What I mean is not too many different vehicle experiences. Do any of your friends have a beater that can barely get out of its own way? Have you ridden a bicycle? Have you piloted, say, a 200cc two-wheeler for any length of time in all kinds of traffic? Do you scan the road ahead by about twelve seconds to anticipate what your experience should be once those twelve seconds have gone by? I used to believe that I should keep no less than two seconds between my vehicle and the one ahead of me, but read last year that my local police advised three seconds. I well know that in some locations at certain times, driving like that would only get me tailgated from behind and too many urgent drivers cutting in front of me. I understand that being in control of a motor vehicle means controlling one's actions AND emotions. Make all three mirrors your best friends, pivot your head often, plan where you'll plant your vehicle and merging should be no problem no matter what you happen to drive.
The absolute worst merging I have dealt with was while rolling along in the right lane at a fixed legal speed (cruise control) and a lone vehicle would approach along the entry lane, but the driver never looked at the lane or the traffic they expected to enter. No planning whatsoever, as if they were incapable of adjusting their speed or position to match existing traffic.
I bought my smart fortwo new over five years ago. 5 feet tall; 5 feet wide. 70 horsepower. Automated manual transmission and I let it do the shifting. I'm never late, never in a hurry, and always scan traffic and plan ahead. Oh, and I ALWAYS signal in advance for turns and lane changes - no one I know can read my mind, but drivers often demonstrate consideration when I bother to respectfully signal my intentions.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #53 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Having learned to drive in a Brazilian-made Opel Corsa (rebadged as a Chevy) with the 4-cyl 8-valve 1.0L gasser, I have no problem at all with small engines.

But since the Civic you're getting has taller gearing and an 8-valve head, it doesn't seem so likely that you could benefit from a 16-valve head swap since it's supposed to push the peak torque to a higher revving band.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Having lots of power IS nice, and can also be a question of saftey. -But when you consider it a safety option, it's in most cases just about getting you out of situations caused by lousy planning! -Situations you wouldn't get yourself into if you are used to having an under powered vehicle. Having a lot of power in reserve also means you have an engine that spend more of it's time outside the BSFC sweet-spot, giving you poorer fuel economy. (unless you start using more of that power, making you more stressed out and more dangerouns)

I have had both fairly over powered cars, some more average and also some VERY under powered. Having an engine so weak that it may take five minutes to reach cruising speed can be very stressful, and also dangerous, but only as long as you continue to make resistance to that experience. Once you have accepted the (slightly) lower pace and the fact that you cannot pass a car on the highway if it's slightly slower than you, the driving can change to something actually MORE RELAXING. -Since you know you cannot pass others in any situation, you just accept the slightly lower speed, stay in your lane and let the others keep on doing their fruitless battle against time. When you arrive at the end, amazingly fem minutes later, you do it with a smile and feel more relaxed! Knowing that your under powered car and relaxed driving style also saves you a lot of money and pollution, makes it feel even better.

As a driver of a low powered vehicle you also get more skilled of "reading" traffic, simply because you have to work so hard to get your speed back up, after hitting the brakes. This can actually make you a lot quicker through city traffic than in a powerful traffic light racer! (guess if those BMW CEO:s go crazy after being passed four times by the same little lazy ****)
Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I'll echo what rmay635703 wrote earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
My favorite car was a 25hp Subaru 360

Just requires an attitude adjustment
I drive a 1900 lb Insight with a 1.0 liter 3-cyl. engine. The battery/motor system gives about a 30-50% power increase when I use it. Yes, its slow WHEN I INSIST ON MAX MPG. But I'm patient. If I'm willing to let the mpg display show lower numbers, it can be reasonably fast. If another driver behind me is in a hurry, IDGAF. They can pass me. When I really want it to go, I make sure the battery boost function is enabled and I let the rpm's go high (but of course not quite up to the red line).

Old 12-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
I drove a 1970'mercedes unimog 406 5 ton with a 80 horsepower 5.6 liter diesel. That wouldn't even go up a hill in top gear. The fastest it went on level surface was 95 km/hour on the governor
Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #57 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Sure there are a few times when downshifting and flatting the hell out become the only option, and it does affect the overall fuel-savings, but I never had any problem merging with the traffic either in 1.0L cars or in my mom's 1.3L Toyota Etios.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #58 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
I drove a 1970'mercedes unimog 406 5 ton with a 80 horsepower 5.6 liter diesel. That wouldn't even go up a hill in top gear. The fastest it went on level surface was 95 km/hour on the governor
Sounds fun to me! But I'm weird.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 12-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #59 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
My friend has a Vauxhall Nova/Opel corsa A. It's white

It used to have a 1.2, about 55hp carbureted engine. Got high 40's in it.

Now he swapped a 1.8 148 BHP customized-Ecotec engine, and a short gear gearbox from a Vectra.

With the custom ECU in the current tune he now get's low-to mid 20's. ROFLMAO.

But hell, that thing is scary when he accelerates.

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Or try one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_CCKW With a load on, up the Sierra Nevada to a logging camp.

Reply  Post New Thread