Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
"Regenerative" Air-Conditioning - an extension thereof

I have seen this thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ort-23025.html
And read the tip about cycling, and when best to cycle the a/c..
This is a thread about an extension of that. I have used this technique as a way of recovering expent energy in a useful manner when cooler air is desired but not required, and in the winter, as simply a way to amplify the effects of engine braking, or when just a slight brake is needed when in cruising gear.
A manner in which the concept could be developed to implement this function automatically. There are hundreds of variables needed to make it as efficient as possible, ranging from driving behavior, speed limits, headway, lead car deceleration rate, etc. Many of these variables would require the use of radar technology and the various "driver assist" features found on some luxury vehicles. The technology is there, but the cost to implement is too high, especially for someone looking to increase fuel economy for personal reasons.
However, looking towards the future, when these features and technology are standard, this concept can be employed, not as a way to save money, but as a way to reduce one's carbon footprint, something everyone should be concerned about, whether you are driving a Metro, or a Mustang.
So, as a concept, the system monitors headway as well as lead vehicle speed and rate of change using radar technology. Simultaneously the system uses GPS systems and internet access to an updatable database containing information about speed limits to determine the speed limit of the roadway you are on and the speed at which you are travelling. The system maintains a log of previous behavior to determine if you tend to exceed the limit by a reasonable amount or stay below the limit. The system maintains a log of outside temperatures, inside temperatures, thermostat settings, etc. to determine what the driver/passengers desire the temperature to be.
I could go on and on about my ideas for when the system activates the AC clutch, but that is unnecessary - anyone who has read this far, is probably already thinking the same thing as I.
I don't know if this could ever be taken to market. I don't know how legally binding this statement is either, but "all rights reserved" If this goes as far as I imagine, I want it on the record for the patent office.

I am looking now, for people to shoot holes in my idea - a devil's advocate... People who want to add on, or help with the idea... I guarantee, if this becomes a "thing", going to patent, to market, etc. All those who helped will be compensated appropriately and/or become a part of the company.
Reserving "eco-Conditioning" now..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Toyota already implements "eco-conditioning" in their Prius when it is in Eco mode. It does things like cycle the AC on when braking and under heavier loads when the engine is near its peak BSFC.

You can't just declare rights to an idea, you have to file a patent application which looks to see if there are any similar ideas already patented.

It's probably not in the consumers best interest to have any logs that track driving behavior such as speeding, since those records can be subpoenaed by the court. If you were ever involved in an accident, blame would fall on the person the court can prove was breaking the law, not matter how insignificant the infraction was. 1 MPH over the limit; you're at fault.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have seen this patent. This takes it a bit further. I'm not declaring rights to an idea that already exists, as this device does not, I'm declaring the rights to my idea which is way beyond that already created.
As to the matter of logging illegal activity, it does it silently, and is not usable in court, it is simply a log of speed and co-ordinates, the system cross references this with other information to determine whether or not to activate the A/C.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
You will find the "obvious to someone educated in the art" clause of the patent examination process to be very tough to surpass with your "innovation" and I would bet that if every patent application was thoroughly investigated, that preceeded your inspiration.

Anytime DFCO is engaged, the charging system and AC systems should both be in maximum charge and cool respectively.

regards
mech
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When driving with the AC, I first off, always use the recirculating feature. Why bring in new hot air? I also take advantage of regenerative cooling by hitting the AC button while coasting down hill in DFCO mode. I also will turn the AC off if I am trying to call on all of the focus' 130 ponies. I refer to this as "turbo boost" mode.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Toyota already implements "eco-conditioning" in their Prius when it is in Eco mode. It does things like cycle the AC on when braking and under heavier loads when the engine is near its peak BSFC.
Fairly common for ICE's to do this as well nowadays. Ramp up the A/C and Alternator during engine braking, cut them out during accel. My Renault and Fiat do.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Integration with technology to predict the road ahead, and compare it with previous habits. That is the key part of this.
I am not claiming to be the first person with the idea of "eco-conditioning". Integration with radar, gps and logging are what I am interested in.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder25 View Post
I don't know how legally binding this statement is either, but "all rights reserved" If this goes as far as I imagine, I want it on the record for the patent office.
It's been a while since I've had anything to do with IP rights but I'm pretty sure that posting it on a forum puts it in the public domain and prevents you or anyone else patenting it.

I have done exactly the opposite to what you have attempted to do; by emailing a question to someone in the industry pertinent to the IP that included the idea, I've put it in the public domain. That was to avoid someone else coming upon the same idea independently and patenting against me. Obtaining a patent is expensive and time consuming - neither of which I wanted to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
When driving with the AC, I first off, always use the recirculating feature. Why bring in new hot air? I also take advantage of regenerative cooling by hitting the AC button while coasting down hill in DFCO mode. I also will turn the AC off if I am trying to call on all of the focus' 130 ponies. I refer to this as "turbo boost" mode.
It may not be as clear cut as that. The occupants of the A/C space produce heat and humidity. It may take less energy to cool warm dry air than cooler humid air from inside the car.

It is possible to calculate what proportion of outside air to recirculated air requires the least energy to provide a given air temperature and humidity if the outside and inside air conditions are known.

I have a cut out switch for the A/C on the brake pedal with a timer. The A/C is disabled unless the brake pedal is depressed. A brush of the brake pedal will engage the A/C for about 10 seconds (the time is adjustable).

It does need an override for highway travel where brake application is rare. I don't do much highway driving but if I did I would probably add in a switch tied to the TPS or MAP sensor to cut out the A/C at large throttle openings or load and use the A/C to help balance engine load, like this:

AutoSpeed - Auto Air Conditioner Controller
Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When you can accumulate a reserve either in a battery or in the high side of an ac system, then doing so is obviously the better choice, when the fuel cost is being wasted otherwise.

electric

ps, ac and h20 pump

with the starter-alternator bolted to the crank

regards
mech
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
It's been a while since I've had anything to do with IP rights but I'm pretty sure that posting it on a forum puts it in the public domain and prevents you or anyone else patenting it.

I have done exactly the opposite to what you have attempted to do; by emailing a question to someone in the industry pertinent to the IP that included the idea, I've put it in the public domain. That was to avoid someone else coming upon the same idea independently and patenting against me. Obtaining a patent is expensive and time consuming - neither of which I wanted to spend.

It may not be as clear cut as that. The occupants of the A/C space produce heat and humidity. It may take less energy to cool warm dry air than cooler humid air from inside the car.

It is possible to calculate what proportion of outside air to recirculated air requires the least energy to provide a given air temperature and humidity if the outside and inside air conditions are known.

I have a cut out switch for the A/C on the brake pedal with a timer. The A/C is disabled unless the brake pedal is depressed. A brush of the brake pedal will engage the A/C for about 10 seconds (the time is adjustable).

It does need an override for highway travel where brake application is rare. I don't do much highway driving but if I did I would probably add in a switch tied to the TPS or MAP sensor to cut out the A/C at large throttle openings or load and use the A/C to help balance engine load, like this:

AutoSpeed - Auto Air Conditioner Controller
That device you linked to is exactly what I am talking about, but taking it further, integrating it with the OEM systems and using additional variables to make it even more efficient.

Reply  Post New Thread