Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like it and understand it well, but the thing I cant put together in my mind is headlights on alternator runs constant or nearly without a well to draw from.
So figure all Led bulbs would help but not stop constant generation cycle.
Other is about discharge rate, there are slow and fast discharge styles and his appear to be fast ones so I am not sure how this is saving anything if car is driven from dusk to dawn ever.
Would like to see testing results from somebody who has amp gage to investigate battery condition after 1 hr at night.
Very good but mabe not eco. would make awesome booster unit though for yall diesel guys who have double batt set ups in trucks. dump a batt add a cap bank instead.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
I like it and understand it well, but the thing I cant put together in my mind is headlights on alternator runs constant or nearly without a well to draw from.
Other is about discharge rate, there are slow and fast discharge styles and his appear to be fast ones so I am not sure how this is saving anything if car is driven from dusk to dawn ever.
Would like to see testing results from somebody who has amp gage to investigate battery condition after 1 hr at night.
Very good but mabe not eco. would make awesome booster unit though for yall diesel guys who have double batt set ups in trucks. dump a batt add a cap bank instead.
that's what I was thinking. oil_pan4 made a lithium ion pack for his diesel and I thought this might be a bit cheaper of an option along with ample cranking.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
would make awesome booster unit though for yall diesel guys who have double batt set ups in trucks. dump a batt add a cap bank instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
that's what I was thinking. oil_pan4 made a lithium ion pack for his diesel and I thought this might be a bit cheaper of an option along with ample cranking.
I had the same reservation about the "eco" possibilities. And these comments are close to what actually seemed to motivate the guy: he was told by a mechanic doing a routine check that his battery only had 200 cranking amps left and would not start the car in winter. He says he did not want to buy another battery just for that purpose and that got him started on this...

Mazda is using capacitors like this to charge from regen braking really quickly (as they can) and then shut off the alt and trickle the charge into the system (or something like that). Seems to benefit their cars about 2 or 3 mpg.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
justme1969

This is why it needs to be a hybrid.

From Maxwell Technologies.

Quote:
K2 Series - High Capacity Cells

Maxwell Technologies’ K2 series of ultracapacitor cells provide extended power availability, allowing critical information and functions to remain available during dips, sags, and outages in the main power source. In addition, it can relieve batteries of burst power functions, thereby reducing costs and maximizing space and energy efficiency. The ultracapacitor features a cylindrical design and an electrostatic storage capability that can cycle a million charges and discharges without performance degradation. They are available in quick and easy to implement threaded terminals or in compact, weldable terminals.

The K2 Series ultracapacitors are a third generation design that provides 2.7 volt operating voltage while improving Maxwell's high performance and high reliability on a high volume manufacturing platform. These cells are ideal for automotive subsystems, medical devices, UPS/backup power, wind turbine pitch control, solar power smoothing, heavy transportation, public transit vehicles and many other applications.

The K2 Series works in tandem with batteries for applications that require both a constant power discharge for continual function and a pulse power for peak loads. In these applications, the device relieves batteries of peak power functions resulting in an extension of battery life and a reduction of overall battery size and cost.

The K2 Series is also an ideal source of back-up power. It can provide extended power availability, allowing critical information and functions to remain available during dips, sags, and outages in a power supply or battery change. In applications where power is need in spikes, the K2 Series provides a “green” power solution to reduce peak power demands on the grid, batteries or generators. And, like all Maxwell ultracapacitors, the K2 Series is capable of accepting charges at the identical rate of discharge.
>
Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

yeah I get that too redneck but cant imagine the A/H of that battery being very high while Amp draw of low beams is. not to think hi beams or situations like rain at night then its defrosters low beams and wipers.
Im thinking its great for something driven during daylight hours.
It could be tested although the math doesnt seem probbable for many applications.
Im not implying that the car will fail outrite but if amp draw is high like my rainy night scenario you may get a dead battery like he did jumping off his lawn mower.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I watched the 2nd and 3rd videos the other day and I wanted him to pull the plug wire out of the center of the distributor (if cars have those today) and see how long the starter would crank that way.

I'll bet he killed that battery by hooking up the lawn mower backwards.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
Why not use both?
Capacitor backed Lithium power.
I already found that the LiFePO4 batteries do not like the cold at all.
Capacitors shouldn't really care how cold it is.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
D cell battery sized 350F 2.7V capacitors
Each string of 6 capacitors would give me about 1 second of cranking power.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 07-10-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
"Little Blue" is way overdue for a new battery.

So I ordered the parts to make the same Hybrid battery shown in the last video.

We're going to find out if this will meet our needs.

>
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
This might be a fun way to attempt to copy Mazda's capacitor charging regenerative braking system.
This was my thought too, including using the Maxwell capacitors (and I'll claim that it occurred to me prior to the release of the Mazda 6).

The amount of charge a capacitance can hold is non-linearly dependent on the voltage of the that it is holds. I don't know what is done in the Mazda but I would think that substituting a 24V alternator would make it easier to implement capacitor charging. (Removing/altering the voltage regulation on a 12V alternator might work as an alternative.)

Many alternators are manufactured in 24V and 12V versions that are physically interchangeable. With that done, what is then required is voltage regulation (switch mode for efficiency) between the capacitor and battery.

In order to extract all the charge out of the capacitors it would have to both drop and boost the voltage, although the majority of charge could be extracted with just the drop.

It's not for me atm but I think it should be fairly straightforward to do.

Reply  Post New Thread