Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
Sparkle the EP3

So I'm starting this to document everything I do to Sparkle my EP3(2002 Honda Civic Si). My kids named it so don't ask about the name. Ok so here is my back story on Sparkle.

Bought the car in May 2016, and since I have owned a good amount of Hondas, and didn't have a daily driver I wanted another Civic. I only had my 68 VW bus, and I wasn't about to start driving that everyday with a 12mpg average. So I got Sparkle.

Ok onto what I have done to her. First things first it came with the cat back exhaust so that was a good thing, everything else on the car was unmolested. So time for me to start the altering. I first added a AEM V2 intake. It picks up air right near the header so its warm air which is a good thing.

Next I decided to mess with lighting and changed out the lights with HIDs for headlights and LED for everything else. Saving amps wherever I can.

I then added fog lights which help out because the actually block some of the front. So I was adding things, and I wasn't even starting to EcoMod yet.

Next I was still going for performance so I opted for going with rims next. I got Konig Heliums which dropped 10lbs per rim off the stock Si rims.

Now the controversial mod with which I would say so far is giving me good numbers so I can't really argue with the things I have found about it, and the numbers I got with it. I added a ASP rear bumper diffuser (i know its not really a diffuser per say). Again the bumper was pretty bad looking before I did it so the holes and kit actually make it look pretty mean.

So since I did the holes in the bumper I decided to start Ecomodding and challenging myself to get the best MPGs each tank. Best so far is 32 MPG I'm shooting for 40, but I will live with 35. So next thing was getting a Ultra Gauge so I can watch what I'm doing and adjust the nut behind the wheel.

after that I flipped the front license plate to block more of the front bumper hole.

Today I worked on two things a upper front grill block, and bumping up the tire pressure all the way around. So I got the upper grill block in, and I bumped the tires from 25ish to 35. I'll see what these to things do, and see if I get better numbers then I did last tank. I will keep adding more probably as I do more research. I think I'm going to stick to one upgrade, every new tank so that I can see if it does something or not.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I only had my 68 VW bus, and I wasn't about to start driving that everyday with a 12mpg average. So I got Sparkle.
I think Si[s] are nice and all, but I used to get in the 20s in my '61 panel van with a best tank ever of 30mpg. Do you still have the bus? Kombi or camper?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I think Si[s] are nice and all, but I used to get in the 20s in my '61 panel van with a best tank ever of 30mpg. Do you still have the bus? Kombi or camper?
68 Riviera Camper all deck out for camping. I have a 61 bug too, but sadly its in Montana waiting for me to come back there. I just got it back on the road, it sat for many years and the person i bought it from didn't care if it sat. He had a lot of projects, and I asked a few times about it until he hit me with a number I couldn't resist.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Gorgeous van, and your 2002 Si was on my short list at one point in my life.

Careful with the grille block, I'd hold off on blocking it too aggressively until you have an OBDII reader. Many cluster temperature gauges don't even start to move until the engine is close to dangerously hot.

Honestly, the #1 mod to improve economy in your Si would probably be to regear it, though that's really ambitious. If it were mine, I'd probably look into a slightly taller final drive, and a significantly taller 5th, but keep the others as they are so it stays fun to drive. If I'm not mistaken, you're spinning just under 3000rpm at 60mph in 5th, when you would still have power to spare at 2000rpm. I could see that being worth a flat 5-8mpg when cruising.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
compdrag (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Gorgeous van, and your 2002 Si was on my short list at one point in my life.

Careful with the grille block, I'd hold off on blocking it too aggressively until you have an OBDII reader. Many cluster temperature gauges don't even start to move until the engine is close to dangerously hot.

Honestly, the #1 mod to improve economy in your Si would probably be to regear it, though that's really ambitious. If it were mine, I'd probably look into a slightly taller final drive, and a significantly taller 5th, but keep the others as they are so it stays fun to drive. If I'm not mistaken, you're spinning just under 3000rpm at 60mph in 5th, when you would still have power to spare at 2000rpm. I could see that being worth a flat 5-8mpg when cruising.
Thanks I did pick up a UG so I have the reader and I have the temp on my 1st page. I know gearing would help a lot, and yes I sit at 3000 rpms at 60 in 5th. The short gearing is just really fun to drive. Thanks for the tips
Old 10-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
68 Riviera Camper all deck out for camping. I have a 61 bug too...
I understand completely.

Nicely accessorized Riviera. Have you noticed what's happened to pre-67 prices since 2008? The 0.001% are buying up real estate, fine art and old VW buses.

To end the thread-jack: You can tweak the final drive ratio with tire sizes. Go tall and narrow with equal contact patch.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (10-19-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
Love the van... Keep up the good work with the civic... A turbo would come in handy too for both fun & FE...
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

To end the thread-jack: You can tweak the final drive ratio with tire sizes. Go tall and narrow with equal contact patch.
I would think about taller tires/rim size if I didn't already buy new rims for it a couple months ago.

Quote:
Love the van... Keep up the good work with the civic... A turbo would come in handy too for both fun & FE...
I a turbo would be fun lol. Maybe one day
Old 10-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Alright today I scored a 94 honda accord front lip so I added it up. Added about 3 inches to the front so that much closer to the ground. I'm currently spraying it black to make it pop again.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Although it won't improve your fuel economy, there's an easy way to clean up your headlights.

I had a bottle of the lens clarifying compound in this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-240KT-Headlight-Restorer/dp/B001TI5IIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475544785&sr= 1-1&keywords=turtle+wax+lens+clarifying+compound

What I did was sand my headlights with 1000, then 2000 grit to get the old yellowed clearcoat off, then put some of the polishing compound onto the back of a wet dish sponge and got them nice and transparent. If you don't put some sort of coating on them, they'll yellow again rapidly. I originally tried diluted spar urethane, and then later a non-yellowing spraypaint clear coat, but neither worked very well. I ended up buying a tube of opti-lens which worked great and has stayed crystal clear:

https://www.amazon.com/OPT-OPT-OLC10-Opti-Lens-Permanent-Headlight/dp/B00GULJCUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475544910&sr= 1-1&keywords=opti-lens

Original headlights:

Cleaned up:

You could, of course, buy new headlights, but my Insight doesn't have any aftermarket options, and new OE units would be ~$4-500.

Reply  Post New Thread