Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Ah okay, that's nice. Some Honda K engine powered cars had belt driven power steering, which consumes about as much power as all of the electric accessories combined, sometimes even more.

It's funny that you're getting rid of A/C. I'm in California, I have the heater core disconnected but you would have to pry the A/C from my cold dead hands before I get rid of it, and I'm not even in Socal where it's actually hot year round.

For cost effectiveness I think you can get this "F1 style" mirror off Ebay. Not the lowest drag design, but an improvement over stock:
For 01-05 Civic 2DR F1 Manual Adjustable Carbon Fiber Painted Side View Mirror

The carbon fiber is fake and fitment is probably not the best, you probably want to paint over it with black paint.
I live in Washington and it rarely gets over the high 80s. So Not having AC is not a big deal plus my last Civic didn't have it either so I'm used to not having it. And my VW bus doesn't have it. I'm used to the whole 2 60 air conditioning

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Subscribed. Like the rims. Like the grill blocking. Although I know you must have heard this, the tank-to-tank data can't really be thought of a rigorous enough to confirm a FE benefit from your speed holes mod. You'd need A-B-A at least, probably using coast down testing. Got an old '02 Si rear cover laying around somewhere?

But in the end, we have to love what we drive, whatever we drive, since we have to drive so much. And your car looks great.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
airfidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I live in Washington and it rarely gets over the high 80s. So Not having AC is not a big deal plus my last Civic didn't have it either so I'm used to not having it. And my VW bus doesn't have it. I'm used to the whole 2 60 air conditioning
I'm in Southern Illinois, we definitely don't get Chicago weather, but I have never used the AC much. I've been thinking about my AC delete, 1) for weight savings, 2) because it's like a diet temptation, you don't need to use it, but that candy bar is always there.

If I do it, how do you find a new serpentine belt for after the delete?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I want to remove it due the fact that it's tied to the heating and you can't turn it off when I'm using the defroster setting. Which make no sense to me and when that kicks in you can see the MPGs go down on the UG and can also feel it on the power side of the house.
It's probably the same unit as the non-Si Civics. There is a sequence you can push to change the behavior of the HVAC controls that will allow you to turn off the A/C when defrost is used. I did it on my '01 HX. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Oh, and welcome, from another Washingtonian (I live in Buckley)

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #35 (permalink)

Here it is:
  • Have the car turned off.
  • Turn the "air condition position" knob to the left all the way (counter-clock-wise).
  • Hold the "air-recirculation button" and the "A/C" button "DOWN". (don't touch the "defrost" button)
  • Start the car with the "BUTTONS" held down, and wait for 7 seconds. (The recirculation light will flash, keep holding down the buttons till the A/C light comes on.)
  • Turn the car off then back on.
Now you can turn the "A/C" off and on now with the defroster setting selected.

Source:
DIY: Shutting of A/C during defrost [Archive] - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-03-2016), Ecky (11-03-2016), Joggernot (11-04-2016), Xist (11-09-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Here it is:
  • Have the car turned off.
  • Turn the "air condition position" knob to the left all the way (counter-clock-wise).
  • Hold the "air-recirculation button" and the "A/C" button "DOWN". (don't touch the "defrost" button)
  • Start the car with the "BUTTONS" held down, and wait for 7 seconds. (The recirculation light will flash, keep holding down the buttons till the A/C light comes on.)
  • Turn the car off then back on.
Now you can turn the "A/C" off and on now with the defroster setting selected.

Source:
DIY: Shutting of A/C during defrost [Archive] - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts
Thanks will try this right now.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Darcane I owe you one. I did it turned it down to defrost light came on pushed the button and BOOM! AC is now off. Just saved me a lot of work, and my wife will be happy because I won't be ripping the AC out.

on another note I haven't tried P&G yet with the car. Let me tell you she glides really well. I was just counting in my head when I accelerated to 70 and then restarted when I started the glide down to 50. I would get almost 4-5 secs past each time. So I had to pick up some stuff from someone, so on the way home for the 18 mile trip on the highway I would P&G the whole trip. I reset the trip MPG on the UG and I got just over 43 MPG on that trip. I saw as high as 47, but the up hills killed it. I was trying to game the up hills as well to try to be on the acceleration portion, and the glide at the top to make sure I was at least glide as long as I was pulsing. So those numbers I was happy with.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Glad to see a fellow Ep3 owner on EcoModder. Awesome build, btw!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Darcane - I, too, owe you one. It worked on the 2000 Accord V6 as well. No flashing lights, so I just held it for several seconds. When restarted, I could turn the A/C on and off with the defrost on. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
It was very nice this morning having the heat on without the AC running. Made my day for sure.