Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Of course the closed throttle gliding is done with the clutch in. Unless you don't have a clutch. The freedom of which in stop and go traffic is impossible to relate until you try it. You can wear any boots and snowmobile mitts you like since you never have to shift.
Might be for some, but not something I personally like to do on a cycle.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all the info. I do occasionally hold in the clutch when hills/traffic allow but my bike has quite a bit of clutch drag so it doesn't coast as nicely as I'd like. I also have a couple spots where I shut off the engine, but I'm usually busy squeezing my way to the front of the line. The sv650 can fit anywhere I can fit :-)

Sometimes I wish I got a 250 but the low end torque on demand with the 650 is such a great thing I don't know if I could downsize now. I also just like knowing I'm faster than %99.99 of cars out there.

I do occasionally get up to 80mph when traffic allows, let's say... 15-20% or so of my weekly commute. So I think I will try to rig up some sort of tail box.

I bought my sv650 for $1300 working with a salvage title and have gone through it, even adjusted the valves which was a $&@& to do (shim under bucket). So at this point with my current mpg, I don't think a smaller bike/scooter would ever pay for itself.

I'm thinking full valence front fender, chop off rear mid guard, get a tapered tail box, maybe some aero mirrors? And a big tank bag.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

subey - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

rav4 - '07 Toyota Rav4
Have you overhauled the carb recently? Jet it as lean as you dare. If it is a CV carb similar to a DR650, the slide & slide guide gets worn. I went from about 45 to 55 on my DR with new slide guide, needle and main jet.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ohh good idea bikenfool, I think they are very similar. I really haven't touched the carbs. I would def want to get a temp gauge first, I always wonder how hot it runs.

Usually I pay no attention to the speedo/tach tonight I took notice of my usual driving habits, traffic was basically stopped the whole way through Hollywood and the valley. I averaged 30-35mph splitting lanes, never drop below 20mph and stick in 4th gear for most of it.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
A set of flat slide carbs is gonna be hard pay for itself if you dont factor in the added bonus of a funnier ride ...

But I wonder if they do exists as downdraught as it is the SV setup IIRC ?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Checking the carbs is a good idea. Because you are running at a pretty small throttle opening most of the time, carb sync is going to be important - so I would check it.

The SV's idle mixture screws are a !#$% to get to, but that's another thing that you want set properly to get good MPG. Having it set lean, and jetting lean in general, isn't necessarily better. I would think you would want to adjust the idle mixture to get the highest RPM idle in your case - then set the idle to about 1200 or maybe slightly less.

There were some article on Craig Vetter's website that mentioned testing that was done back in the 80s with leaner jetting, and that it didn't help MPG. It just made the engine run poorly so you opened the throttle more.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That would be conditions for streamlining the scooter.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturndude View Post
I already have a smaller drive sprocket to change the gearing. Any other ideas for squeezing out a couple more mpgs?
Smaller drive sprocket? That will increase your RPMs at any given speed. Larger drive sprocket or smaller driven sprocket should lower RPMs.

I was planning to bump my drive sprocket up a tooth on my 650R, but I rarely ride it any more as I have to shuttle the kids around too much so I'll be selling it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The simplest, most effective aero mod is a tapered tail box behind the rider. If traffic is 20 mph bumper to bumper then an electric bike is viable.
I'd say there is an even simpler one. Simplest aero mod... is a tight tuck. Most of my riding over about 40mph I have my chest on the fuel tank. This typically gets me about 10% over sitting upright. Precise numbers are tricky to sort out with as tiny as the fuel tank is.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

How much do your tires per mile cost, maybe better focuse somewhere else.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Smaller drive sprocket? That will increase your RPMs at any given speed. Larger drive sprocket or smaller driven sprocket should lower RPMs.(SNIP)
He did say that, didn't he?

As darcane stated, if that's the case (smaller front/countershaft sprocket), it's not helping you get better MPG.

I have gone to a 1T larger front/countershaft sprocket, mostly for the 500 RPM drop it gave on the hwy and the smoother range it put the engine in at those speeds.

I would at least go back to a stock sprocket (15T) and maybe try a 16T - they aren't expensive.

Reply  Post New Thread