Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's to energize the relay in the contactor, so no, not a direct short.
Sorry, i didn't realize that was the relay leads. Which leads me to two questions - when is the microswitch actually contacting? Aren't you supplying too much voltage to the coil by connecting it to the pack?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Truth be told, the components you're omitting aren't really reliability concerns. And only minor efficiency issues, relative to the power draw of actual driving. Contactors might represent 1-2% of the ForkenSwift's total energy use.

This was my next Idea, but now I don't really see any reason to eliminate the second contactor.

This is pretty much the same image as the one above with the contactor repositioned to the positive wire of the circuit, and is similar to the Forkenswift without the ignition switch; mine shows the ignition as being already on.

I just threw a goofy switch to prevent the contactor from turning on when the pedal is pushed, but then I wondered if there could be a bunch of problems from doing that.

With the precharge resistor always supplying the controller with SOME power now with the contactor in the off position I was wondering what would ACTUALLY happen if you pushed on the pedal with the key switch in the OFF position?

Not to be jinxing (knocks on wood), what would happen to the Forkenswift if the contactor in the top portion of the schematic connected to the positive wire failed to make a connection to allow full power to go to the controller? Say the micro switch in the pot box broke and wouldn't turn on for some reason so the contactor doesn't turn on.

a) Does the resistor supply enough power to make the vehicle creep?

b) Does the resistor act as a bottleneck, unable to supply enough power to the controller, heat up and blow a fuse?

c) Does the vehicle jerk forward for a second?

d) Does nothing happen at all?

e) Or is it a combination of things

So many things I need to learn. I think I will just go with the way MetroMPG went with the two contactors for the sake of doing it right.

Thanks everybody!

-Trevs.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am happy to announce that I got some stuff for my conversion now, one small but important, and the other quite a big part of the project.

I think it's time for me to extinguish this thread (the extinguish part is hinting at the one thing that I picked up yesterday) and move onto another area. I realize I have been starting to get technical for an introductions thread.

Still no word back from the forklift company though which is a bit dissappointing. I would like to document more of my finds and progress through these forums, however am not too sure where to post yet.

Fossil Fuel Free maybe?

Trevs out.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Earth day reminded me of Ecomodder. I came to visit to say that the Firefly never did become electric since I found another option.

A home made electric car topping out at 50km/h with 48 volts and lots of weight/power required to charge seemed impractical to me after some research since all I was wanting to do was move myself around.

I ended up picking up a 48 volt electric moped scooter instead. It can do 60 km/h and uses a charger as small as an alarm clock which is also quite portable and easy to maintain. That, and it was brand new at half price costing me only $350 complete (factory blowout) .

I still have wheel chair motors and batteries that I would like to build a small vehicle with just to build an ev. Prolly like a little go-cart or something when I find time
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aero Apprentice

Trevs

I'm from Winnipeg as well. I just noticed your thread here and I wanted to let you know that there is at least one firefly/metro EV in the 'peg. I built mine last year and it turned out to be reasonably functional. The car is only operating on 36V with a 450A controller and a motor salvaged from an old walk behind forklift. It will do an easy 50km/h and if you take a long enough run it'll reach 65 or 70k.

Seeing as how you are in Winnipeg pm me if you want to take a look at it and maybe figure a way to use up some of those spare parts you have. I'm only in on the weekends so drop me a line then!

Later

Swede (Ollie)
2009 GMC Sierra 27us/mpg best yet (still workin on it)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
What a cool project!

Keep it up and make sure you post more pictures!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's quite a story you have there. Sometimes, projects like this take on a life of their own. Parts can be free, if you don't mind adapting. Good Luck to you!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, just poking in here again to say this really has been a long time project idea and who knows if I'll ever build an ev but I haven't started any fires yet which is a good thing but don't have the Firefly anymore either.

I put some attention to modding my small engine equipment and now run my lawn mower and snow blower on propane. A 20lb tank will cut the grass all summer. Whether that's ecomodding, idk, tho I sure appreciate not having to use gasoline for it. I also rebuilt a corded electric mower and plugged it directly into a string of alarm batteries and it worked too. Borrowed a chainsaw from work and didn't have any gasoline at my place and after getting some, really didn't miss that with how I spill and the way the exhaust smell sticks to you.

I bought a random scrap 48v forklift with what I was told has a bad controller for next to nothing. I hooked 4 old car batteries to it and everything works except drive. I get an error code 512 to do with the traction problem which I couldn't find anything to reference with. The traction motor is a 9" GE and has 10,000 hours on it so Idk if it is like really worn as that seems high?.

My car in need of a "motor" now is a 3300 lb vintage full size. I think it would be cool to have an electric conversion done with the 3 on the tree transmission but the weight and size of my motor, if it's potentially working, may not mesh well.

I'm wondering if I should consider selling my vintage car project in favour of getting a small car to suit my ev project wannabe something or other.

Everything i'd learned about evs is pretty much gone! I have lots of scrap tho including Anderson Connectors, wire, a whole fork lift. To do this project, I would likely need a motor controller, possibly a motor if mine doesn't work?, batteries, a car, some way to adapt these things, and time. I think I have pretty much enough of the rest.

Reply  Post New Thread