Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Warning: leaks don't seal themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

like sheep dog said try fumoto if you havent really screwed up or bulged the threads with a bigger bolt. same issue on my 460 and now no leak. use rtv black when you put it in, the brass valve threads are soft so dont over tighten
Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The Quick Valve is in the mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyfirewalker View Post
like sheep dog said try fumoto if you havent really screwed up or bulged the threads with a bigger bolt. same issue on my 460 and now no leak. use rtv black when you put it in, the brass valve threads are soft so dont over tighten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Warning: leaks don't seal themselves.
I have a Quick Valve on the replacement pan and I know better than to expect problems to go away, I just have not seen it again.

Well, I should get to bed. I need to be up in an hour for drill! Who plans drill immediately preceding finals?!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Not Doug

I had a lot of time to think today at work, where I spent hours outside, with my pants tucked into my boots, and then as I finally walked to my car, put my uniform hat and cover in the trunk, removed my sun shade from the door (I am missing the visor and someone's suggestion worked great), and finally relented and turned on my air conditioning.

What if it stopped leaking because it was empty?

Why do I have the same things going wrong with Chorizo that happened with Bacon?!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

As I mentioned elsewhere, Windows died the morning of my last two finals. I am still trying to sort out that. I ended up reinstalling Windows and it keeps telling me:

Quote:
This product key doesn't work. You might need to get in touch with the store or company you bought Windows from, or you can buy a new key from Microsoft.
So, I have not used the computer much since Thursday. On Friday, I took off my exhaust manifold to take it to a welding shop and realized that I was missing two nuts! My ex-girlfriend was there when I replaced the oil pan and she insists that I put all of the nuts on it. I could only guess that I did not have them on tight enough. The welder could not see any cracks, but the face of the manifold was black from exhaust, so it must have been coming out of there, instead of from some crack. I put it back and made sure that it was tight. Everything seemed fine until I drove to my parents' house, helped them all day, and then drove to a date.

I can hear the heat shield again.

I am going to see if those nuts came off again or if the part is somehow warped. I really do not know what I could do besides replace it.

After dinner, since this is a small town, and she said there were not any more movie showings, I took her for a drive, and was pulled over in an even smaller town. The Officer said that I was going "slightly" over the speed limit and my tail lights were flickering just barely noticeably. I told my date that I was waiting until after finals to replace the voltage regulator, which is apparently part of the alternator. She said that a new alternator would probably be cheaper.

Autozone and O'Reilly have voltage regulators for $170, but I can get a Honda one from Majestic or elsewhere for less, while they charge $700 for an alternator!

A and O have alternators for $103!

They are remanufactured, while I can purchase used ones back in the valley for $35-50.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Doug

I start so many threads! It seemed like I received more responses from a new thread than continuing an old one, so I probably mentioned elsewhere that I bought a new alternator from NAPA for $142 and then needed to saw off a piece to make it fit.

I still have not fixed my laptop. It seems like it is fine unless it moves, which would be anytime that it is in my lap. I am spending the summer at my parents' house, but probably should have taken my computer in, I was home for a few days.

The welder told me that my exhaust manifold was not square, but today a mechanic told me that they never are, but bolting them down fixes that. I had really wondered about the ability of small bolts to bend thick iron. He said that the heat and rapid cooling always warps them, but he always has them ground down when removed, and that I need to replace my gasket, even though it is metal.

I replaced the AC gasket and topped off the coolant, but barely drove my car before parking it for a couple of weeks, driving it briefly, and then parking it for three more weeks. It still blew cold, but I believe the AC system was making noises, I had not heard them before, and I figured that it was moisture in the system. I had a shop pull vacuum and replace it. It was only 110° as I drove home, so my AC easily keeps me cool now.

I only run it when it is over a hundred.

The mechanic told me to remove my "grill block," telling me that I am making the radiator and condenser work too hard.

Last edited by Xist; 07-22-2014 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Is there a special heat transfer rating for metal that you don't want to approach or you'll wear it out? Well, the aluminum in your radiator will only transfer so many BTU/Square Inch over it's lifetine, and you don't want to stress it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
Not Doug

I still have not called Microsoft to tell them that I reinstalled Windows and it tells me to purchase a new license. Friends have told me they happily take care of that, but it is a minor inconvenience.

I had a shop pull vacuum on my AC and recharge it. I still do not know why I hear my heat shield rattle when I accelerate, but looking at a parts diagram for the Accord, it says to replace all of the washers. I never saw that for my Civic. Could that cause a leak that would interfere with my O2 sensor?

The Friday of Labor Day weekend I was driving out of a canyon when my AC blew hot. I looked at the engine temperature and it was high, so I turned off my AC until the engine cooled way down, which only took a few miles.

I was only running my AC because I was driving four hours to meet a young lady. She was worth the drive! I am not so sure about the saying on here about factory grills being designed for extreme conditions, specifically pulling a trailer uphill in Death Valley.

I was still an hour from the Phoenix area, and I was still at a higher elevation, so it was cooler. I was not pulling a trailer, but apparently my grill block, which is just a rectangle of coroplast that I screwed into the license plate holes, blocked too much air when I drove uphill!

That same canyon, but traveling in the other direction, a semi or something overturned. I could not even recognize it! Highway Patrol blocked off the road and traffic was backed up for several miles!

My ex-girlfriend had whoever changed the oil last install the Quick Valve.

Now she is leaking oil.

Last edited by Xist; 01-18-2018 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Edit: The Fumoto was fine, the head gasket was leaking oil down the oil pan.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The oil pan for my HX does not look anything like the steel one for my friend's Accord. I do not know if any of the three pans that we have used are Honda, but all of them are thin steel. The one difference from this image is that the bolt only has as many threads as the pan, it does not extend further.

I wonder if the steel Civic pans are as thick as the aluminum ones.

Last edited by Xist; 01-18-2018 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: I can only guess what I meant, but the grammar did not make sense!
Reply  Post New Thread